The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:01:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Releases from Toccata Classics

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Releases from Toccata Classics  (Read 539 times)
kyjo
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:02:12 am »

Here are some notable upcoming releases from Toccata Classics:

Egon Kornauth (1891-1959): Piano Music, Vol. 1: Phantasie, op. 10; Drei Klavierstuke, op. 23; Kleine Suite, op. 29; Praludium und Passacaglia, op. 43; Funf Klaiverstucke, op. 44/Jonthan Powell, piano

The music of the Czech-born Viennese composer Egon Kornauth (1891–1959) was once a staple of Austrian concert-halls, though it has largely been forgotten in the half-century since his death. In this pioneering recording Jonathan Powell uncovers the many strands that fed into Kornauth’s rich and full-blooded soundworld – dark, late-Romantic harmony, inventive counterpoint, rhythmic assiduity, a fondness for folk-music and, not least, a straightforward melodic charm.

Here's Kornauth's German Wikipedia article (includes a worklist): http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egon_Kornauth

David Matthews (b. 1943): Music for Piano: Concerto for piano and string orchestra, op. 111; Piano Sonata, op. 47; Variations for piano, op. 72; Two Dionysus Dithyrambs, op. 94; One to Tango, op. 51d/Laura Mikkola, piano; Orchestra Nova/George Vass

In his piano music, as in his symphonies and string quartets, the English composer David Matthews (b. 1943) marries the idiom of classical tradition with that of his own day. His 2009 Piano Concerto, Mozartian in spirit, contains both a tango and a blues; his Piano Sonata of 1989 includes jazz elements, and his 1997 Variations feature both blues and a homage to Beethoven. The moods range from contemplative introspection to fiery, rhythmic energy, captured here in feisty performances by the Finnish pianist Laura Mikkola, whom the composer describes as ‘a marvellous exponent of my music’.

Philipp Ramey (b. 1939): Piano Music, Vol. 4: 1959-2011: Piano Sonatas 3 and 7; Lament for Richard III; Epigrams, Book Two; Three Early Preludes; Cossack Variations; Incantations/Stephen Gosling, piano

The piano music of the American composer Phillip Ramey (born in 1939) is rooted in the motoric athleticism of Prokofiev and Bartók, tempered with sober lyricism, spicy modernist dissonance and a fresh approach to the grand Romantic gesture. This fourth Toccata Classics album includes the virtuosic Cossack Variations, the mercurial Epigrams, Book Two and Lament for Richard III, a dramatic character-study of a famous historical villain. Two sonatas add further substance to a varied programme: No. 3, serially inflected and culminating in a barbaric finale; and No. 7, infused with declamatory rhetoric, quirky rhythm and engaging melody.

Here's Ramey's Wikipedia article (includes a worklist): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Ramey

Do I detect a slight pianistic bias ;D Nothing wrong with that, though-these releases look quite intriguing indeed :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:42:09 am »

Thanks, Kyjo, yet again! Looking forward to the Matthews in particular. I'm also going to get the Peggy Glanville-Hicks opera 'Sappho' from them. Such a great record label (and book publisher)!
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:59:22 am »

Also looking forward to the Matthews. Thus far I think his brother Colin is the more talented one, but I've liked what David has done with his concertos more than his symphonies. I also can't wait to hear what he can do with the piano.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 03:47:47 pm »

There is no doubt that David Matthews is very much the flavour of the times with Dutton recording so much of his music and now Toccata joining in.

As far as I can see the only major Matthews not recorded are his big choral Vespers completed in 1996.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 04:18:55 pm »

There is no doubt that David Matthews is very much the flavour of the times with Dutton recording so much of his music and now Toccata joining in.

As far as I can see the only major Matthews not recorded are his big choral Vespers completed in 1996.
Well, he reaches 70 in less than two months' time, so perhaps that might be something to do with it (although Toccata has not just joined in, having some time ago already committed itself to the complete Matthews Quartets of which three are already out). I must confess, however, that, on the wholly improbably circumstance of my reaching Op. 111, I'd do almost anything other than allot it to a work involving the piano as he has done!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:22:04 pm »

Yes, Matthews has, fortunately, been quite well-served on disc in recent years. Isn't Dutton supposed to record his Symphony no. 7? I know we have it available for download, but.......
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:25:27 pm »

Dutton has already recorded No.7. Just not released it.  The "Vespers" is due to be recorded by Naxos this year per the composer.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:29:38 pm »

My bad-I meant "release", not "record". Goodness, now Naxos is joining in on the Matthews-fest! Nothing wrong with that-Matthew's music is right up my alley :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 09:38:18 pm »

Good Heavens :o   Naxos too :)

Now....please don't misunderstand me: I have the highest regard for the music of David Matthews and look forward eagerly to the release of the Seventh Symphony and any and all compositions Matthews has or will compose....but I do begin to feel that there is a Matthews bandwagon rolling and while there is nothing wrong per se with that I do feel that there are OTHER British composers, both living and dead who would benefit from the sort of exposure Matthews is currently receiving.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:21 pm »

As a great admirer of David Matthews (Britain's greatest living symphonist IMHO) I will stay quiet! ;)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 12:20:15 am »

OTHER British composers

We all know who you are referring to, Colin ;D

All I will say is that their initials are AC, WW, DJ, PRF and IH ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 02:27:29 am »

OTHER British composers

We all know who you are referring to, Colin ;D

All I will say is that their initials are AC, WW, DJ, PRF and IH ;D

Oh dear.......I am too well known ;D

These composers are all dead of course. I could also highlight a number of living composers: Robin Holloway, Malcolm Lipkin, Colin Matthews, John McCabe, Patric Standford, Ronald Stevenson.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: