The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:17:50 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

What is Your Favorite Key Signature?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is Your Favorite Key Signature?  (Read 3855 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2013, 07:24:09 pm »

i find myself preferring C-sharp major to D-flat major—it feels like a quite different key, & a brighter one (entirely a different "colour"—d-flat major is a pale blue like the edges of the sky, c-sharp major is a more brilliant and intense shade of gold than what i think of as the "golden key" b-flat major)

indeed. i first became aware of synaesthesia when talking to someone else with the same ability, who described b-flat as red. my immediate reaction was "what? it's not that colour at all! maybe you're thinking of A major" >.>

A propos of that q, my brother (I mention him by way of not wanting to appear to have thought of this myself!) wrote his PhD on the enharmonic relationships in BORIS GODUNOV.  Musorgsky repeatedly 'respells' music in the score in enharmonic equivalents when the mood changes from negative to positive, or vice-versa.  Clearly he must have done this for some reason...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: