The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:09:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Best of 2011 (Tom Service, Guardian)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best of 2011 (Tom Service, Guardian)  (Read 309 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2011, 08:19:55 am »

The journalistic paucity of writing-up "overviews of the year" has begun early this year - something usually saved for the week after Christmas, when "stories I wrote earlier" can safely be published while the actual journos munch their plum puddings in the safety of their own homes.

Tom Service in the Guardian has launched the "retrospective" season with his picks for 2012 - an unsurprising list in most ways.  ANNE NICOLE gets a second drubbing - although it's not entirely clear if Service is saying that it was nevertheless a highlight of the year?  I was pleased to see a good write-up for the McVicar/Jurowsky staging of DIE MEISTERSINGER at Glyndebourne - which I managed to catch both live at Glyndebourne, and again on an internet relay courtesy of The Guardian.  (In fact I would personally put the advent of the Guardian bringing us free netcasts of major opera productions as one of the REAL highlights of this year - long may this trend continue and flourish!).

Tom Service's Best Of 2011
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 09:35:01 am »

DO they still have retrospective available on the net? I want to see Wagner Die Meistersinger. I couldn't find it.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:00:17 pm »

DO they still have retrospective available on the net? I want to see Wagner Die Meistersinger. I couldn't find it.

I believe it was only available for 10 days, for copyright reasons - as they plan to release a commercial video of the performance later.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: