The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:57:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

EMF 2013

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMF 2013  (Read 2929 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 01:22:29 pm »

Albion Records has recorded "The Solent" and Dutton will be doing the Walford Davies Symphony.

Albion Records must be John's new label committed to the recording of all the Stanford and Parry choral music ;D ;D ;D
;D My pre-order is already in for the forthcoming 'Dundonnell' label!!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2013, 01:32:25 pm »

Albion Records must be John's new label committed to the recording of all the Stanford and Parry choral music ;D ;D ;D

If only! There'd be plenty of Holbrooke, Daniel Jones, Arnold Cooke, Cowen and Mackenzie too - and probably a whole disc devoted to the scandalously neglected orchestral music of Henry Gadsby* (of blessed memory) ...

;)

* an inordinately popular suggestion on another forum ( ;D)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2013, 02:48:50 pm »

Apollo & the Seaman,please! ;D I had to use the search 'over there' to find out who Henry Gadsby was! I'd never heard of him! ::) :-[ Sounds very intriguing!
The things you learn,here! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2013, 03:21:51 am »

The "Dundonnell Label" (if only ;D) would duplicate your Daniel Jones and Arnold Cooke symphonic cycles :)

It would also include a full set of the orchestral music of William Wordsworth, Peter Racine Fricker, Iain Hamilton, Arthur Butterworth, Alun Hoddinott. It would include the Robert Simpson concertos, the John Gardner Symphony No.2, the unrecorded John McCabe, the Cyril Rootham 2nd Symphony and the first two Robert Still symphonies.

Once it had recovered from going bankrupt very quickly ;D.........it would look at other British repertoire and would also attempt some complete sets of non-British composers like the Dane Niels Viggo Bentzon, the Norwegian Ragnar Soderlind, some Americans-including Walter Piston, David Diamond and George Rochberg cycles..............

Oh....to dream....... ;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2013, 05:08:06 am »

Well, I'd buy everything! Not sure that would be enough, though! Japan probably wouldn't have that many other people interested, though today I was delighted to discover that one of my university students's dog is called "Elgar", as his mother is a fan!
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2013, 04:40:48 pm »

Apart from the Daniel Jones cycle,I can see my own fledgling,'Cilgwyn' label,going rapidly into the red following recordings of Joseph Holbrooke's Cauldron of Annwn cycle,The Bells,Apollo & the Seaman & Queen Mab! :(

Nice to Roothams Second in your list. That seems like a 'natural' for a future EMF/ Dutton project!
Incidentally,living in Wales,as I do,the,tantalising,prospect of a premiere recording of the Walford Davies Symphony,which only a few years ago would have been mere 'pie in the sky',whets my appetite for a recording of,Merthyr Tydfil born,Joseph Parry's only symphony. He is,of course,still celebrated here in Wales for 'Myfanwy','Aberystwyth' & the first Welsh opera opera,'Blodwen',of which excerpts are still regularly performed here. There was even an excellent 70s BBC tv series,based on the Jack Jones novel's depiction of his family's emigration to America,entitled 'Off to Philadelphia in the Morning',which is still remembered here. Of course,it might not be worth reviving & I'm certainly not expecting a neglected masterpiece........I'd just like to know what it's like,that's all. And as,possibly,the first symphony by a Welsh composer (?),it obviously has some historic significance here,of some sort.
He was a very prolific composer! Ten operas,three oratorios,five cantatas,numerous songs,anthems & orchestral works!!! ::) :o
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 08:06:42 pm »

The "Dundonnell Label" (if only ;D) would duplicate your Daniel Jones and Arnold Cooke symphonic cycles :)

It would also include a full set of the orchestral music of William Wordsworth, Peter Racine Fricker, Iain Hamilton, Arthur Butterworth, Alun Hoddinott. It would include the Robert Simpson concertos, the John Gardner Symphony No.2, the unrecorded John McCabe, the Cyril Rootham 2nd Symphony and the first two Robert Still symphonies.

Once it had recovered from going bankrupt very quickly ;D.........it would look at other British repertoire and would also attempt some complete sets of non-British composers like the Dane Niels Viggo Bentzon, the Norwegian Ragnar Soderlind, some Americans-including Walter Piston, David Diamond and George Rochberg cycles..............

Oh....to dream....... ;D ;D ;D

I am quite surprised at your choices, Colin, because I had previously never heard you express admiration for any of these composers! (hint: I am being sarcastic ;D ;D ;D)

Please excuse my terrible sense of humor ;D

I'll post about what my very own "Kyjo" label would record when I have more time.....
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2013, 12:54:38 am »

What is that delightful work by Ernest Bloch called again ??? ???

Oh yes....."Voice in the Wilderness" ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2013, 07:20:51 am »

I think my first recordings would be mostly Sorabji - like the 3rd and 5th piano sonatas!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2013, 11:58:54 am »

My label wouldn't have a long life as well, Colin.

I would bring the Hoddinott you did not, or may be I could win the race?
Gaze Cooper, John Woolrich, David Gow would be there!
And for pleasing Gauk I'd try a Sorabji symphony as well.

I also would give Herman Mulder's works a go and complete Arthur Meulemans symphonies

I would have probably as many customers as there are members on this forum
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 02:41:50 pm »

We are an endangered species ;D
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2013, 08:45:29 am »

The newly revived Erato label would follow with full series of Klaus Egge and Hilding Rosenberg in glorious sound.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2013, 10:41:43 am »

Happy to hear. Klaus Egge needs to be heard. Rosenberg is ok too, but most of his work is/was already available.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2013, 02:38:23 am »

I am very much afraid that the operative word in relationship to Rosenberg is "was" :( :(

The only symphonies of Rosenberg available in modern recordings are Nos. 3(Sir Andrew Davis on Finlandia and Mario Venzago on BIS) and No.6(Mario Venzago on BIS). There is also an older recording by Herbert Blomstedt of No.3, by Sixten Ehrling of No.4 and an even older one of No.2. No.5 can be found on an ancient, 1940s recording conducted by the composer.

There are no recordings of Nos. 1, 7 or 8.

To call this situation other than disgracefully unsatisfactory is to put it mildly >:(

The concertos have fared no better. I have cd versions of the two piano concertos and of the Second Violin Concerto(again in an elderly recording). There is the Violin Concerto No.1, two Cello Concertos, the Viola Concerto and a Trumpet Concerto.

Rosenberg's neglect on cd is a national(ie Swedish) disgrace which BIS have done virtually nothing to rectify >:( >:(

(I apologise that this is off-topic but I cannot let this remark go unchallenged).
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 12:40:55 am »

Re: Walford Davies 2nd.
A decision to record is pending the performance of the work at the EMF.
Seems Martin Yates may not be quite convinced as of now. Also, no new Dutton releases before fall. :-[
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: