The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:20:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

EMF 2013

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EMF 2013  (Read 2927 times)
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:27 pm »

The programme for the 2013 English Music Festival has been published and there are some exciting performances scheduled -

http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/programme.html

Highlights include performances of Vaughan Williams' early (later withdrawn) tone-poem The Solent (1902-03) and Henry Walford Davies' Symphony in G, Op.32 (1911) - a composer I would very much like to hear more of. These items form part of the opening concert and will be performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra under Martin Yates. As these are regular Dutton artists commercial recordings may possibly (hopefully) be planned, or the concert might at least be broadcast.

There is also a full concert performance of Sullivan's cantata The Golden Legend.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 07:56:19 pm »

Very exciting indeed :)

I cannot attend, so I truly hope Dutton records the festival! I was not aware of the existence of that VW tone poem and have long wanted to hear one of Walford Davies' orchestral works :)

I am also intrigued by the first public performance of Darke's Violin Sonata no. 1. I assume this is Harold Darke (1888-1976), an English composer and organist who composed primarily church music. Here's his Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Darke

Most famous for composing the Christmas carol In the Bleak Midwinter, Darke's choral and organ music has been reasonably well recorded. His only non-choral/organ composition that has been recorded thus far is his Meditation on Brother James Air for violin and strings, which is on this Campion Cameo CD: http://www.amazon.com/English-Music-Strings-Charles-Avison/dp/B000ION5X2/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1357589631&sr=1-1&keywords=darke+cameo

Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:59:30 pm »

The programme for the 2013 English Music Festival has been published and there are some exciting performances scheduled -

http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/programme.html

Highlights include performances of Vaughan Williams' early (later withdrawn) tone-poem The Solent (1902-03) and Henry Walford Davies' Symphony in G, Op.32 (1911) - a composer I would very much like to hear more of. These items form part of the opening concert and will be performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra under Martin Yates. As these are regular Dutton artists commercial recordings may possibly (hopefully) be planned, or the concert might at least be broadcast.

There is also a full concert performance of Sullivan's cantata The Golden Legend.

Great news. As RVW must have had good reasons to return to The Solent in his Ninth Symphony at the end of his life - using its theme for the second movement - it must have meant quite a deal for him. Curious how the original sounded and why he discarded it.
His earliest orchestral composition, the Serenade from 1898, is also in the concert, but we know that already from last year's Dutton release in which Martin Yates and the Royal Scots also offered the Bucolic Suite from 1900. All these recently released early works (also the Heroic Elegy & Triumphant Epilogue from 1901) show quite an accomplished composer, I would say, and I'm happy to know them.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 11:22:00 pm »

I have the Dutton cd with the Walford Davies Violin Sonata No 2 on it & very enjoyable it is too! I haven't heard anything else,but I've known of & about him for years. He (the man himself!) often gets mentioned,but until recently,none of his music was heard! I'm certainly curious about his Symphony & have been hoping I might actually hear it one day.
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:51 am »

EM Records is the recording arm of the English Music Festival and, as such, fulfils the EMF’s aims of celebrating and preserving overlooked works by British composers. EM Records will release a mixture both of studio recordings and of live recordings from the Festival, giving listeners the chance to experience the fullest possible range of the Festival’s work. 

http://www.englishmusicfestival.org.uk/emrecords.html
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »

Fantastic news :) :) Thanks for the info, Erato!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »

Highlights include performances of Vaughan Williams' early (later withdrawn) tone-poem The Solent (1902-03) and Henry Walford Davies' Symphony in G, Op.32 (1911)

Both of these works feature in the opening concert (24th May) given by Martin Yates and the BBC CO. This will be transmitted on Radio 3 either live or for future broadcast: I will make off-air recordings for the archive.

Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 01:15:39 am »

Oh to be in England, when the EMF is there! Great news about several things: I really hope to hear the Walford Davies symphony: I love 'Everyman' in the Dutton recording; any VW is welcome, and I really think the Serenade is a very special piece (and interesting to compare it with Holst's Cotswolds Symphony of the same time: surprisingly, VW seems a lot more assured to me).

Just looking at the whole programme: it is absolutely magnificent! One item I don't know is Sullivan's Olympic Hymn. They're not confusing it with the Jubilee hymn 'O King of Kings', are they?
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:48:50 am »

One item I don't know is Sullivan's Olympic Hymn. They're not confusing it with the Jubilee hymn 'O King of Kings', are they?

No, it's simply a new set of words by the Rev. Christopher Idle (formerly of the diocese of Rochester) written to celebrate the 2012 Olympics:

Let us run with perseverance,
on this Jesus fix our eyes
who endured from grief to glory,
faith's beginning and its prize.
Let us shed all things that hinder,
blur our vision, weigh us down;
look to him who brought redemption,
bore the cross and won the crown.

Some who run are counted heroes
gaining silver, bronze or gold;
all find joy in their competing,
round the track and round the world.
Some take part as paralympians,
climbing mountains to compete;
all need skill and strength and balance
for their course to be complete.

Some will measure time or distance,
record speed or length or height;
all in squad or team or solo
know the rules to keep them right.
Some will not be there for medals;
they too share this world of sport,
all who coach, supply and steward -
vital champions in support.

Trained and tuned, let us be ready,
hear the signal, start the race;
focussed to complete the circuit,
each in our appointed place.
Fully tested, still enduring,
on the goal we fix our eyes;
Christ for us has won the glory,
faith's beginning and its prize.

The hymn tune used is Sullivan's Lux eoi (1874) - you can get some early practise in by clicking the midi symbol top left here -  http://math.boisestate.edu/GaS/sullivan/hymns/lux_eoi.htm

;D
Report Spam   Logged

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:54:55 am »

Albion Records has recorded "The Solent" and Dutton will be doing the Walford Davies Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 12:32:34 pm »

Thanks for the information re the Olympic Hymn: actually, I just discovered a mention of it in the latest Sullivan Society magazine, so if I had waited I could have saved you the trouble, but it's much appreciated, John. Nice to see that Sullivan was used a bit at the Olympics, seeing as both that and the jubilee seemed to rely so heavily on 'pops' for their appeal
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:37:28 pm »

Albion Records has recorded "The Solent" and Dutton will be doing the Walford Davies Symphony.

Many thanks for this great news!

;D

It would be wonderful to have an all-Davies disc: there is plenty to choose from, including

Holiday Tunes, Op.21 (1907)
Festal Overture, Op.31 (1910)
Parthenia, suite, Op.34 (1911, revised 1940)
Suite in C after Wordsworth, Op.37 (1912)
Conversations, for piano and orchestra, Op.43 (1914)
Memorial Suite, Op.50 (1923)
Big Ben Looks On (1937)

Moreover, Vaughan Williams' The Solent comes from an incomplete suite whose projected title was to be In the New Forest (1903-07) that would have contained four movements -

1. Burley Heath - shortly to be published by OUP
2. The Solent - shortly to be published by OUP
3. Harnham Down - shortly to be published by OUP, performed in 1907
4. Boldrewood - performed in 1907 but no longer extant

so there may be other premieres in the offing ...

;)

Report Spam   Logged

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:08:17 pm »

Highlights include performances of Vaughan Williams' early (later withdrawn) tone-poem The Solent (1902-03) and Henry Walford Davies' Symphony in G, Op.32 (1911)

Both of these works feature in the opening concert (24th May) given by Martin Yates and the BBC CO. This will be transmitted on Radio 3 either live or for future broadcast: I will make off-air recordings for the archive.

Something very much to look forward to :) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:10:25 pm »

Albion Records must be John's new label committed to the recording of all the Stanford and Parry choral music ;D ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 01:11:38 pm »

Great news! :) I've long been curious about the Walford Davies symphony.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: