The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:55:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Norman O'Neill (1875-1934)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Norman O'Neill (1875-1934)  (Read 381 times)
logeny
« on: January 05, 2013, 08:26:39 pm »

A search of this forum for any mention of the British composer Norman O'Neill (1875-1934) elicits no results.  So...

A few weeks ago I was browsing the bins at the only decent retail outlet for classical CDs remaining in Manhattan (J&R Music World) and I came upon this disc:

I'd never heard of O'Neill, but the dates fell well within my range of tolerance and I added it to my handful of purchases (I also was attracted by the cover art  :P).

Well, what a treat!  I learned that Norman O'Neill grew up in relative affluence in a family line of "distinguished musicians, musicologists and composers" (his father was the artist G. B. O'Neill) and, at his premature demise (apparently being struck by an automobile - dying in the same year as England lost Holst, Delius and Elgar!) he was on the brink of writing for Hollywood - sought after by Hitchcock, among others.  Anyway..

The works on the CD are:

1. String Quartet in C Major - apparently stitched together by O'Neill from various sketches - it is a lovely, pastoral, typically-British exercise in delight;
2. Piano Trio in One Movement - a bit more advanced than the Quartet but still beautiful chamber music with glittering piano accompaniment;
3. Piano Quintet in E Minor - a mighty piece with a magnificent opening few minutes.  It is less "English" than the other O'Neill works on the disc written, as it was, after the composer had studied in Frankfurt with the Russian Ivan Knorr, a biographer of Tchaikovsky.  This is major-league chamber music, without a doubt, passionate and powerful - why it never had been recorded before this premiere is a shame;
4. Theme and Variations for Piano Trio (on the popular song "Polly Oliver") - based on a 17th-century ditty, this work is O'Neill's Opus No.1 and was a favorite of his pianist-wife, Adine Ruckert.

Needless to add - this should be a not-to-be-missed acquisition for any lover of chamber music or simply glorious music in general.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 09:11:49 pm »

O'Neill's Incidental Music to "The Blue Bird" of 1909 performed by the BBC Concert Orchestra/Vernon Handley is in our British Music Archive on this site :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »

Also, the incidental music to The Bluebird and Mary Rose are on this Dutton disc entitled British Composers Conduct: http://www.amazon.com/British-Composers-Conduct-Other-Rarities/dp/B000JLPNL6/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1357427013&sr=1-5&keywords=norman+o%27neill

I agree with you, logeny-that chamber disc is quite wonderful :) The Piano Quintet is an especially marvelous, big-boned piece!

According to Wikipedia, O'Neill composed over 50 pieces of incidental music to plays, as well as a number of symphonic suites and chamber music.

:)

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 11:19:18 pm »

(I also was attracted by the cover art  :P).

Indeed, one of the most beautiful pieces of cover art I've seen! Two of my favorite box sets that I own also contain some of my favorite cover art, which is entirely appropriate for the gorgeous Nordic romanticism of the wonderful music contained in them:

...enough about that! Back to O'Neill!
Report Spam   Logged
logeny
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »

In the notes to the O'Neill CD, his granddaughter mentions that Alfred Hitchcock, in 1939 - five years after O'Neill's death - wrote (apparently to one of his family members - this is not clear) asking for the music to Mary Rose for use in his (Hitchcock's) film, Rebecca.  Was Mary Rose part of Waxman's score to the 1940 film?  Dunno.

Excerpts from the chamber disc can be found here.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: