The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:27:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Erkki Salmenhaara

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Erkki Salmenhaara  (Read 2363 times)
SBookman
Level 3

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2013, 04:03:46 pm »

Gentlemen,

Does anyone have any recordings of Finnish composer Erkki Salmenhaara, 1941-2002, (besides the Symphony No. 4, and Adagietto, La fille en mini-jupe, Le Bateau Ivre, and Suomi-Finland, all on a lately purchased cd)?

Thankyou.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:10:13 pm »

I have the symphonies 1,2 and 3 (quite modern)Symphony 5 (quite wonderful!), French Horn Concerto, Concerto for 2 violins, complete piano and music for cello.   I could burn onto CD-Rs and mail to you.
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:39 pm »

I have the symphonies 1,2 and 3 (quite modern)Symphony 5 (quite wonderful!), French Horn Concerto, Concerto for 2 violins, complete piano and music for cello.   I could burn onto CD-Rs and mail to you.

Can you post them publicly here? I am sure others would like to hear it, too.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 10:15:05 pm »

Tapiola- if possible, it would greatly appreciated if you could post those Salmenhaara works in the downloads section here :) As lescamil mentioned, I'm sure many members here would like to hear them as well. If you can't, that's okay! I'm especially interested in Symphony no. 5 and the two concertos :) It would also be interesting to hear Salmenhaara's more advanced side, exploited in the first three symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 11:05:31 pm »

I do not know how to upload music on here. I would need a crash course.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 11:23:14 pm »

The first question to ask is whether the particular piece of music is in mp3 format or some other digital format.

If it is in digital format then the rest is easy. You register with a site like Mediafire(which is, essentially, a file-hosting service; ie it stores your uploaded files for you) and upload the file-which is easy (you just click "upload" and it asks you which file you want to upload). Once it is uploaded you are asked if you want to share the uploaded file. You say "yes" and you get a link. You then provide a copy of the link on here so that people who click on it get taken to the file which they can then download.

If the music is NOT in digital format then that is where things get much more difficult.......though, obviously, not impossible. If an old technophobe like me could learn to do it.......... ;D
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 02:54:08 am »

All the works are on regular CD-Rs sent to me from YLE. I will get my wife to try it!  Wish me luck.
Report Spam   Logged
SBookman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 02:58:00 am »

Sir,

Thankyou; most kind.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 05:07:51 am »

Many thanks, Tapiola :)

It would take me a much longer time to figure out how to upload files ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 04:00:33 pm »

Tapiola,

Well done, so you figured it out!
I'm very happy with this upload. (I only wonder what's on trach 1?)

Thank you very much.

Elroel

Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 04:10:41 pm »

Track 1 was the Adagietto which I assumed everyone had.  I will upload Symphonies 2, 3 and 5 later today.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »

Good thinking, and indeed I have the Adagietto already for a long time.
So glad you can upload nšs 2 and 5, because they're not in my collection. Ten years ago I had only one work of Salmenhaara, Kuun Kasvot, And now? In short time his 5 symphonies.

When you look back Salmenhaara became a composer a little in the Penderecki line. First experimenting a lot, but both found their own (very own IMO) style. I stil wonder why Joonas Kokkonen, who was in the 1970s one of the foremost composers in Finland, gets so little attention, at least outside of his country.

Anyway, thank you for the downloads.

Roelof
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 12:22:28 am »

Yes....I am afraid, as Elroel has said in the Downloads section, that this is not working :(

When I click on the links I am told by Mediafire that the files are being stored on an "Unvalidated Account". In addition, each file is a tiny vlc file which will not play anyway.

I am sure that we all appreciate the effort that you (and your wife) are going to on our behalf and-I suspect-that we are not a million miles away from success but the music does need to be in a digital file which can be recognised.

Digitisation of music is the real problem, I know. I spent months digitising my huge collection of British music which was on reel-to-reel tapes from the 1970s. I used a programme called Audacity to do it. Audacity converts the old analogue sound into digital mp3 format which can then be uploaded.

There are however many other members who could give you advice on how to do this.
Report Spam   Logged
SBookman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 04:59:41 pm »

Gentlemen,

How ask again for that which I am now a salivant, without seeming too obviously to plead?

Thankyou
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 07:42:49 pm »

I will gladly make CD-Rs of the music to anyone that sends me an address.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: