The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:54:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Symphonic Wish List

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Symphonic Wish List  (Read 1576 times)
guest145
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 05:52:54 pm »

An almost unbearably cornball piece, - just to put a warning in front of the alert (probably too late).

Warning not needed -- I'll be listening to it shortly, regardless!  ;D

The main reason (apart from curiosity about Shepherd's music, all too rarely performed or recorded) that I've been waiting to hear the entire work is that over 40 years ago I first heard Louis Lane's recording of the third movement of the work, "The Old Chisholm Trail," and have since enjoyed it very much. Of course, I've been hoping the rest of the work is in the same vein. We'll see. Anyway, there are certainly echoes of Ferde Grofe in that movement, but I also hear a hint of the "Americana" style of Randall Thompson's 2nd Symphony, which I adore.

There's plenty of "cornball" music I love, and plenty that I hate. We'll see where this symphony falls.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 06:17:43 pm »

Hmmm.....really? Haven't listened to it yet-will have to do so tomorrow! I must admit that I've never heard the word "cornball" (let alone "unbearably cornball") used to describe classical music ;D

No offence meant at all, Greg, but I have noticed that you often seem to have a negative opinion of much music.

Not negative, Kyjo, but just critical, - and honest.  No reflective evaluation intended in this case, but only my immediate reaction.  Not everything is "great" - even when great to have the opportunity to hear.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 07:51:52 pm »

Anyway, there are certainly echoes of Ferde Grofe in that movement, but I also hear a hint of the "Americana" style of Randall Thompson's 2nd Symphony, which I adore.

Then I should definitely enjoy it ;D Grofe's music has often been written off as "corny" by critics, but there is no doubt that his music can be quite fun and is quite skillful at effective mood-painting :) I also enjoy Thompson's music, especially his three folksy, ultra-conservative symphonies.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 07:58:27 pm »

Hmmm.....really? Haven't listened to it yet-will have to do so tomorrow! I must admit that I've never heard the word "cornball" (let alone "unbearably cornball") used to describe classical music ;D

No offence meant at all, Greg, but I have noticed that you often seem to have a negative opinion of much music.

Not negative, Kyjo, but just critical, - and honest.  No reflective evaluation intended in this case, but only my immediate reaction.  Not everything is "great" - even when great to have the opportunity to hear.

Honesty is always most important, Greg :) I have no problem with people giving critical evaluations of music as long as they support their evaluation and are sincere about it, as you have done. Indeed, not everything is "great", but a lot of it is enjoyable. Great and enjoyable are two totally different things! I'm not expecting the Shepherd symphony to be great in any way, but I think I should enjoy it :) I'll report back when I give it a good listen, hopefully tonight.....
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 03:52:23 am »

Just listened to the Shepherd symphony. I can see why Greg used the word "corny" to describe the music-in places (especially with the dated sound quality), it sounds like the soundtracks to those old Westerns ;D But that's really all as bad as it gets. The music does indeed have an echt-Americana feel to it which I find very appealing :) I particularly enjoyed the jaunty opening of the third movement, as well as the inclusion of a piano in the orchestra in this movement (which reminded me of Grofe's Cloudburst from the Grand Canyon Suite ;D). The last movement, Canyons, is the most modern-sounding (and least "corny", I might add ;D) of the four; its grand and imposing nature evokes the majesty of the canyons of the American West. I believe that this work would greatly benefit from a modern recording, which would bring out the details of Shepherd's fine orchestration and would also sound less similar to an old Western soundtrack ;D No, it is not the deepest piece I have ever heard, but the enjoyment I get out of it is really all that matters :)
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2013, 11:31:14 pm »

Just listened to the Shepherd symphony. I can see why Greg used the word "corny" to describe the music-in places (especially with the dated sound quality) <snip>

How old IS that? It sounds like a wax cylinder recording!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:04 pm »

The Austrian composer Alarich Wallner  (1922-2005) wrote 15(!) symphonies.
My informant says at least 3 symphonies were given on the radio.
Next to the 15 numbered symphonies he wrote Symphonia Triangulum academicum, Sinfonietta americana and a Sinfonietta from 1947, that was re-written in 1976 in a version for 6 wind players, timpani and strings.

A few of his works can be found in the Deutsche National Bibliotheke.

Anyone who has work from this composer?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2013, 10:27:00 am »

You can hear Cuclin 1,9,11,13,16and 20 here:

www.youtube.com/channel/UCmy4meWIfmaDEgpaiTlvbHQ/videos?view=0
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2013, 04:32:06 pm »

Does anyone have the old Melodiya LP of Arutunian's Symphony? I have not heard it for decades.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2013, 11:46:44 pm »

and how about

Arthur Meulemans
August Baeyens 1-2-3-4-5-6
Waldemar Bausznern
Bruno Bettinelli
Gérard Bertouille
Daniel Börtz
Luc Brewaeys
Friedrich Bruk 8 and 9
Herman Mulder all 14

They all wrote a number of symphonies; only a few were ever recorded
\
The one composer that leaps out at me for recognition in this list is Bruno Bettinelli, a prolific and extremely gifted composer.
Has anyone compiled a list of his compositions?
Why his music remains in obscurity is a mystery to me..His first string symphony is here..what a beauty!!!

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: