The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:32:35 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your Discovery of the Year

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Discovery of the Year  (Read 24507 times)
Vandermolen
Level 4

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2016, 09:57:50 am »

Veale: Symphony 2
Rootham: Symphony 2

The Veale is a powerful work showing, I think, some influence of Shostakovich. The Rootham completed in his final days and the last part dictated to his friend Patrick Hadley has the most unbearably moving final pages - a beautiful work and unsurprisingly quite different to his energetic and tuneful First Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 12, 2016, 03:51:52 pm »

The Veale is a powerful work showing, I think, some influence of Shostakovich. The Rootham completed in his final days and the last part dictated to his friend Patrick Hadley has the most unbearably moving final pages - a beautiful work and unsurprisingly quite different to his energetic and tuneful First Symphony.

Have you read the thread I started about the Veale No2, Jeffrey?

Not for the first time ;D it looks as if we are in complete agreement!
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 26, 2016, 11:28:01 am »

I came to appreciate the Veale 2 just as highly as you do; big surprise of course.  8) Many thanks for alerting me again to the new Rootham. I must confess that Rootham 1 didn't make as big an impression on me than it did on you - in an earlier phase of your life, if I'm not mistaken  :) - but it's certainly music that I can love unconditionally and I'll try the Second ASAP.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 26, 2016, 11:28:48 am »

Great addiction
]
All seven composers are rather unknown - at least to me. What do you think are the most interesting pieces in this collection? [BTW strange typo in 'Palaestina']

Dear Christo
Spratley together Gregson and Derek Bourgeois is a well known composer of brass music.IMHO here could be Ketelbey's exoticism echoes
Gareth Glyn was in Naxos cd of Welsh music heavily influenced from folk music.
David Lyon's Piano Concerto is a conservative work like this:

Anthony Hedges is a quite established composer of "light music" with various recording on Naxos and Asv
Bryan Kelly was a Gordon Jacob's student IMHO influenced from him.

Best

Great to learn and great to hear, many thanks!  :)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2016, 10:37:39 pm »

I've misjudged his work:
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2016, 01:02:37 am »

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:17 pm »

It's probably cheating to name a radio station as my 'discovery' of the year - and I'm afraid for American colleagues, & probably a few others besides, Q2 radio from WQXR New York isn't that amazing at all.
But for an ignorant Brit, it's the best constant 'contemporary' station I've encountered.....unless of course anyone knows better ?

http://www.wqxr.org/#!/series/q2/

Happy New Year listening to all !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 09, 2017, 02:50:53 pm »

The 8 symphonies by Miroslav Kabelac on Supraphon
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2017, 07:18:49 pm »

The symphonic music of Norwegian Eivind Groven (1901-1977), especially: 
   Symphony No. 1, Op. 26: Innover viddene ('Towards the Mountains') (1938, rev. 1951)
   Symphony No. 2, Op. 34: Midnattstimen ('The midnight hour') (1946)
   Symfoniske slåttar  No. 1, Op. 43 (1956)
   Faldafeykir No. 2 (Symfoniske slåttar No. 2), Op. 53 (1965)
   Draumkvædet (for soloists, choir and orchestra) Op. 51 (1963)

Not the 'greatest' composer that I know, but one that I highly enjoy for his melodious and imaginative writing (not dissimilar to Geir Tveitt in times).
Report Spam   Logged

erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2017, 10:02:20 pm »

Groven was also known for his experiments in perfect tuning. He even had built a perfectly tuned organ for his home in Oslo, I was there for a concert in the late 70ies. I like the BIS CD of the symphonies a lot, you should try the BIS CD of von Koch symphonies, I find a lot of similarities.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 13, 2017, 01:04:00 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 13, 2017, 03:38:28 pm »

Groven was also known for his experiments in perfect tuning. He even had built a perfectly tuned organ for his home in Oslo, I was there for a concert in the late 70ies. I like the BIS CD of the symphonies a lot, you should try the BIS CD of von Koch symphonies, I find a lot of similarities.
Great to learn about your personal experiences with Groven! Also many thanks for the tip, Erland von Koch is on my radar since long, but I hesitated to buy the symphonies. Will oblige now.  :)
Report Spam   Logged

Christo
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 05, 2017, 11:51:38 am »

Have this one; do you like it?
Report Spam   Logged

Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 26, 2017, 03:04:34 pm »

His flamboyant piano concerto would deserve a new performance
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2017, 02:35:56 am »