The Art-Music Forum
April 26, 2018, 08:19:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your Discovery of the Year

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Discovery of the Year  (Read 10586 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 81

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2018, 11:48:12 pm »

Svetlanov recording are considered Landmark for this composer.Sadly sound quality is sometimes poor and the sound lack of depth (this is a limit also of recent Melodiya Anthology),IMHO this is a more recent reconding and benefit of modern restore,also orchestra seems react to this conductor with some passion.Sadly webpage of this label is offline,so i can't say if it was an integral alternative version of Myaskovsky symphonies.
Best
P.S.
I listened also Dudarova , Ivanov and Yablonsky :IMHO are less convicing

Huh? Dudarova , Ivanov and Yablonsky conduct the 26th? Where? When? What label? If broadcast, please upload.

The 26th conducted by Nikolayev is easy to find. All these others, I never heard of. Only Svetlanov and Nikolayev 26th.

Dear Amphissa.Clearly i was speaking of all Myaskovsky's cycle.IMHO one of the reason of his scarce diffusion outside Russia is scarce sound quality of recordings.
Truly before this i didn't know Nikolaev as conductor
Best
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 20, 2018, 02:20:52 am »

Ah! Okay!
I have been collecting Myaskovsky recordings for many years. The only complete cycle of the symphonies is by Svetlanov. It is good to have his set, because it includes the *only* recordings of Symphonies 3, 4, 13, 14, 18 and 20. However, in many cases, if there are other recordings, Svetlanov leaves much to be desired. For example, his recordings of 5 and 6 are very bad. We are lucky to have other recordings, especially of these two great works.

In addition to the conductors you mention, many other conductors have recorded one or more Myaskovsky symphonies --
Rozhdestvensky
Rabl
Downes
Manolov
Kondrashin
Liss
Ginzberg
Halasz
Stankovsky
Gauk
Mikailov
Sergeyev
Gould
Ormandy
Kovalev

Nikoleyev also conducted a recording of Symphony 21, but others are better.

As for Myaskovsky's other orchestral works, there are many recordings of the violin concerto and cello concerto, of course, but also his many other orchestral works. Svetlanov made the only recording of some of these, but others have been recorded by multiple conductors.

Report Spam   Logged
Vandermolen
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2018, 07:48:01 am »

I like Kondrashin's performances of Miaskovsky's music. His Symphony 6 (Russian Disc recording) is in a class of its own despite the aged acoustics.
Discovery of the year:
Fricker 'The Vision of Judgment' (thanks to cilgwyn of this forum for alerting me to its qualities).

An earlier discovery which means a lot to me is Maximilian Steinberg's Symphony 4 (Dutton CD).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: