The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:52:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your Discovery of the Year

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Discovery of the Year  (Read 24457 times)
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

So, returning to the original premise of this discussion.... ;D

Like, I'm sure, many of you, I owe much to the generous contributors to this forum, as well as UC and the Soviet composers forum, and I could easily answer this question differently on different days, bur putting it all into the basket and coming up with just one name, I don't think there's any music I've discovered over the past year or so that I've enjoyed more than the symphonies of Mikhail Nosyrev, especially the first.

Please note that I do not consider myself to be a musician, and my responses to the music I love are not necessarily musically well informed, but notwithstanding Nosyrev's rather tragic personal history, I find that there's odten a cartoonish, looney tunes kind of character to some of this music.  There are passages in which I sometimes have visions of Elmer Fudd or Bugs Bunny popping out from behind a bush.  Please note that, bizarre as it may sound, I mean this in a totally positive way.  Nuttiness in music, it seems, is something I appreciate more and more the older I get.   ;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: