The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:05:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Your Discovery of the Year

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Discovery of the Year  (Read 24611 times)
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2013, 11:04:34 pm »

I have been busy digging through lots of Soviet-era scores this past year, so great discoveries are coming at me quite often. If forced to point out my most significant 'discovery of the year', I would have to single out Georgian composer Sulkhan Tsintsadze and point out the following amazing website, which has all of his string quartets available for streaming:

http://www.georgian-music.com/free_music/tsintsadze.php

In addition to that, it was excellent to hear both his 24 preludes for piano and his 24 preludes for cello/piano on Youtube thanks to some generous individuals on there.

Thanks for the link, Caos! Tsintsadze is a composer I have long been interested in. His Fantasy for piano and orchestra, which is a delightful and wholly accessible mixture of Rachmaninov and Khachaturian, is a favorite of mine. His later works are a bit less conservative in general, but still quite accessible to my ears. There's this disc with the Fantasy and some other orchestral works of his and of his countryman Alexei Machavariani:

and his Violin Concerto no. 2 and Fantasy for piano and orchestra on YouTube:
VC (1/2):
VC (2/2):
Fantasy:

I'd really like to hear at least one of his five symphonies, which do not appear to be available anywhere.

:)

Dear Kyjo
Sadly it's only a reissue of this disc in CD-R.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: