The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:42:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

German modern composers

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: German modern composers  (Read 709 times)
t-p
« on: November 19, 2011, 06:20:36 pm »

I found another modern composer in BBC music magazin. Many people play his music now .
I thought people will be interested to hear his quartet. HIs name is Matthias Pinscher. I noticed that his music is performed often now.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:05:57 am »

Thank you :)  Do we know which composition (with Hebrew texts) he's discussing in this interview?

I think what he says about singers understanding the resonances of meaning in a text is very apposite. So often meaning becomes entirely warped through a half-understanding of a translated text.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 05:12:17 pm »

It is difficult with translating opera and song into different language because  it is difficult to adjust language to written music. Often melodies are adjusted a little bit with some notes added.
To translate illusive meaning is very difficult.

I was able to find this link about composer Pinscher and his song cycle. http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/building-the-revolution/
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 05:51:16 am »

Here's a bit of Heiner Goebbels, just to broaden the range of discussion a little :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xi_35BDGUJ0&feature=related

Goebbels has said he is interested in "bridging the gap between opera and theatre", and he's clearly interested in new forms of musical theatre. This in itself is interesting for me, and some of these projects have gone off in new directions.

Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:28:46 pm »

Neil, thank you for your post. It is very interesting to explore new names for me.

German composers of course developed symphonic genre in music. The genre was taken by composers of different nationalities.

There was very interesting program about symphony and how different composers developed the form. Every new generation re-evaluate composers. For example, Sibelius was not played as much and now his compositions are played and his music influences other composers.

I think symphonic genre even influenced opera and how composers wrote them. Wagner’s operas are composed through with leitmotivs and not separate numbers.
Composers still write symphonies now.
Here is a program that was very interesting about development of genre and re-evaluations that are made now.http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017chz0

Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »

Sometimes I wonder to what extent the "weight of the musical heritage" hangs over modern German composers - do they feel "obliged" to honour that heritage?

The obverse side of the same coin is whether having the good fortune to be "born a German" (or Austrian) can prop-up a merely average career?
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 02:13:00 pm »

This is very sensitive topic I think. In old time composer had to please his audience (or patron). Our times are different.
I think Sibelius was of old generation that wrote for people so to say and he is National composer at that writing for Finish liberation movement. He had long life and lived until Elvis Presley time. There were different times.
Maybe in our time one has to please critic. But even this is not enough now. Still the audience knows what they like.

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: