The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:09:13 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Madetoja cycle on Ondine

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madetoja cycle on Ondine  (Read 1748 times)
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:46:35 pm »

Ondine will release Madetoja's Symphony No. 2 and Kullervo in January.  HPO/Storgards.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:02:29 pm »

So now a third cycle of Madetoja's Symphonies to come through the pipeline.

He's worthy, - but is it ungrateful to suggest something different would be more exciting?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:45:31 am »

The three symphonies of Ernest Pingoud would be more interesting imo
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 01:59:48 am »

Agreed! Pingoud is a highly interesting and unique composer. His style, influenced by Scriabin and Ravel, is not what was the norm in Scandinavia at the time. Uuno Klami, however, was also influenced by Ravel in some of his compositions.
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 07:34:23 am »

The three symphonies of Ernest Pingoud would be more interesting imo

Agreed. I've only heard a couple of orchestral works and a piano concerto, but consider me intrigued.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 05:16:32 pm »

Given the accessability of perfectly acceptable download recordings of Pingoud's 3 Symphonies,
probably my own top wish would be for the remaining (unissued) Symphonies of Nordgren.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »

Given the accessability of perfectly acceptable download recordings of Pingoud's 3 Symphonies,
probably my own top wish would be for the remaining (unissued) Symphonies of Nordgren.

Nos. 1 and 6 presumably. The others are all on disc(Nos. 2 and 4 on Finlandia, Nos. 3 and 5 on Ondine, Nos. 7 and 8 on Alba cds).
Report Spam   Logged
tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 07:08:11 pm »

I have No. 1 from a YLE recording. No .6, being a choral piece is more problematic financially.
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 07:13:39 pm »

Care to share where these symphonies are accessible?
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »

Not sure if the links have been re-posted somewhere here by now or not, but all 3 Symphonies
are still accessible from the Finnish downloads archive at "Unsung Composers" - (you have to
become a member to access it, but that's easily done, - unless you're Kyjo or Dundonnell that is).
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 07:40:04 pm »

Not sure if the links have been re-posted somewhere here by now or not, but all 3 Symphonies
are still accessible from the Finnish downloads archive at "Unsung Composers", - (you have to
become a member to access it, - but that's easily done).

Ok, I am a member there. Thanks for the tip.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 03:56:11 am »

The unrecorded symphonies of Tauno Marttinen (1 and 8 on Bis), Erkki Salmenhaara (4 available for download here) and Kalervo Tuukkanen (3 on Finlandia) would also be worthy of recording :)

Ernst Linko's Symphonie Chevaleresque is one I'd give anything to hear! His PC2 (available for download here) is a lovely work in the Rachmaninov vein :)

Madetoja's symphonies are wonderful, but I agree that we do not need another recording of them.

Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 04:00:31 am »

are still accessible from the Finnish downloads archive at "Unsung Composers" - (you have to
become a member to access it, but that's easily done, - unless you're Kyjo or Dundonnell that is).

Not easily done for me, that's for sure ;D

Perhaps someone could re-upload them here? I would greatly appreciate that :)
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 06:52:38 am »

Not easily done for me, that's for sure ;D

Perhaps someone could re-upload them here? I would greatly appreciate that :)

Check the appropriate thread.
Report Spam   Logged
guest54
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 07:23:00 am »

Not easily done for me, that's for sure . . .

"Not easily done" perhaps, but nevertheless doable - I hope - without too much trouble.

1) go to this post:

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/index.php/topic,621.msg3388.html#msg3388

and download the rar archive (if you do not already have it). The name of the archive is AllUCDLs.rar

2) open the rar archive AllUCDLs.rar and navigate to the directory named "Finnish". Open that, and you will see five files relating to Finnish music.

3) extract and open the file named "Finnish music 1.htm". Scroll down to reply 5, and you should see the Mediafire link to Pingoud's Symphony number 1, so kindly contributed by A.S. on the 5th of September, 2011.

4) next, scroll a little further down, to reply 7, and you will see Mediafire links to both Pingoud's Symphony number 2 and his Symphony number 3, also very kindly contributed by A.S., on the 7th of September, 2011.

5) and next, scroll down to reply 14, where you may find the Mediafire link to Pingoud's curious composition "La face d’une grande ville", contributed by the very generous member A.S. on the 1st of October, 2011.

6) finally, of course, use those four links to go to Mediafire and retrieve the four compositions.

In case there is any one who does not have winrar available on their machine, I have reposted the four links in the downloads section - no I haven't: lescamil got there before me - thanks!

All this is fresh in my mind, because I discovered Pingoud only last week, while checking the Finnish links. A most interesting composer, I agree; and I want to express my profound - if belated - gratitude to A.S. for drawing attention to this cosmopolitan man and his "Scryabine-inspired idealist-symbolist symphonic compositions" (Grove).

(But it should be added, perhaps, that "Une grande ville" is not exactly Scryabinesque.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: