The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:53:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Christopher Rouse upload

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christopher Rouse upload  (Read 2643 times)
fr8nks
Level 2

Times thanked: 7

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2012, 07:02:28 pm »

Thank you, lescamil, for the Chrostopher Rouse uploads. I am a big fan of his music and I have not heard these works before. Also great job with the recorded sound.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2012, 08:50:13 pm »

Most kind of you, gentlemen...but 7zip looks even more confusing !  Maybe they'll bring out a CD of the Requiem as suggested. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 10:37:08 pm »

Back to Rouse: of course, I cannot say for sure which orchestra is playing in "Kabir Padavali" and who is conducting, but Rouse's website gives the information that the work was premiered by Dawn Upshaw, the Minnesota Orchestra and David Zinman. So, these performers are at least a reasonable candidate for those we hear in the recording you uploaded.

Yes, I considered this, and that would be a good candidate, since the Minnesota Orchestra regularly broadcasts their concerts. However, it has had other performances since the premiere, and some of those might have been broadcasted. I will keep scouring around for information.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 01:07:04 am »

. . . Is there no other way than to download more 'dodgy looking' software ?

I understand your hesitation Mr. Chair. Here is the simplest solution, which uses neither HJsplit nor 7zip:

1) download the three files from Mediafire in the usual way. Their names are as follows:

ChrisRouse.zip.001
    ChrisRouse.zip.002
and
    ChrisRouse.zip.003

2) go to a Command Prompt, and navigate to the directory on your computer in which those three files now reside.

3) simply type:

copy /b ChrisRouse.zip.001+ChrisRouse.zip.002+ChrisRouse.zip.003 ChrisRouse.zip

That will join the three files together, and you should now have a normal zip file with the name ChrisRouse.zip

4) if you open that normal zip file (ChrisRouse.zip) in the usual way you will find that it contains a second normal zip file, with the name "Christopher Rouse.zip" - I don't know why it was done that way with one zip within another zip. Anyway if you open that second normal zip file ("Christopher Rouse.zip") in the usual way you will finally find the music you want.

Do let me know if you have any problems with any of these steps.
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 10:32:40 am »

Mr. Gerard - thanks so much for taking time for a bear with very little IT (or any other) brain ! OK, so...what is a 'command prompt'; I know where the files are, so do I still need this 'prompt'; where is any typing done ?
Sorry...I have a job typing an E-mail, never mind complex stuff like this !      Very much obliged.           Clive.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest2
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 01:38:00 pm »

. . . OK, so...what is a 'command prompt'; I know where the files are, so do I still need this 'prompt'; where is any typing done ? . . .

Yes, you still need the command prompt, because that gives you a place to do the typing.

So - step 2 is easy if you know how:

2a) go to the folder on your computer where the three files you downloaded are.

2b) press the Control Key and the Menu Key together Shift Key and the Menu Key together . (The Menu key is the special key just to the right of the Alt key on the right.)

2c) a menu will pop up, and one of the items says "Open Command Window Here" - select that.

2d) next a smallish black window will pop up. That is the "Command Window" or "Command Prompt" as I call it. You can type commands into it. So now you can go on to step 3 and type that command to join the three parts, as follows:

copy /b ChrisRouse.zip.001+ChrisRouse.zip.002+ChrisRouse.zip.003 ChrisRouse.zip

Be careful to type a space before and after the /b and also before the final ChrisRouse.zip (which is the name of the result, the joined file).

You are thereby commanding the computer to copy the three files, one after the other, to one resultant file. The plus signs simply mean "join these files together".

Let me know again if there are any problems.
Report Spam   Logged
Amphissa
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 07:59:38 pm »

There's nothing dodgy about HJSplit. It is a commonly used program. Same with 7Zip. These are both standard software used by millions on the Internet for years.

Just install the program on your computer. I recomment 7Zip, because it is more versatile. 7Zip will also open .rar files and .zip files.

Go into My Computer (aka Windows Explorer). Go to the folder that you downloaded the files into. Probably Downloads, unless you specified a place to put it.

RIGHT-CLICK on the file ending in .001

From the menu that appears, point to 7Zip and from the submenu select the item for Extract Here.

Done. You can move the files to some other folder if you like.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2012, 10:46:42 am »

Another programme that does the trick, also free, is HJsplit. The program can do more than the name suggests: it can also join the parts together. It works very smoothly and .... it is small

Just type hjsplit in your browser and download.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 12:07:18 pm »

Thank you - did try it; can't make it work either. Sorry, gentlemen, I'm just wasting your time...let's get back to music I can download, nice ordinary Mediafile, press a button and you've got it, programs;suitable even for idiots like me. Mr. Rouse's Requiem, which is the piece I really want, will get to me one day if it's meant to !
Many thanks indeed to you all for trying.              Clive. 
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
guest2
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2013, 04:54:25 am »

If anyone is still interested, I made a serious error in Reply 20: I wrote "control key and menu key together" when it should have been "shift key and menu key together"! Now corrected.
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 09:21:57 pm »

I'm having a torrid time with the 7Zip and HJsplit downloads. I've downloaded both followed the instructions but nothing happens and my laptop just freezes. Is there any possibility that the three works in particular I'm interested in hearing, the oboe concerto, concerto for orchestra and 3rd Symphony, could be uploaded as separate mp3 files?

Many thanks
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2013, 09:36:19 pm »

Wow, if I would have known this would have been such an issue for so many people, I would have uploaded everything as separate files!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

I am uploading them as separate mp3 files as I write :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 10:01:04 pm »

Done!

Uploaded and links posted in the US Music section :)
Report Spam   Logged
suffolkcoastal
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2013, 10:42:29 pm »

Thanks very much for taking the time to do that Dundonnell. Much appreciated.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: