The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:36:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Robert Donington

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Robert Donington  (Read 711 times)
guest2
« on: May 07, 2009, 10:44:03 am »

Only very recently did I discover drifting around the internet Robert Donington's marvellous book on The Interpretation of Early Music. The first edition came out in 1963, and a second in 1965. Two of the most marvellous things about it are a) the table of contents - a work of art in itself, perhaps even a work of philosophy - and b) the fact that at least fifty per cent of the book consists of direct quotations from contemporaries of the music under discussion.

Its six hundred pages - almost incredibly rich in musical insight - took him fifteen years to put together. His discussion of "Unwritten accidentals for necessity and beauty" is particularly riveting I found.

Donington was a Leeds man, and lived from 1907 to 1990. He also published Wagner's Ring, which - I have not yet read it - is described somewhere as a "provocative Jungian interpretation."

Here is a reproduction of all fifteen pages of that staggering table of contents:

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

smittims
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:36:54 pm »

Both Donington's books you mention have become virtually standard reading. It's many years since I read the one on the 'Ring' and I remember I wasn't pleased with someof the things he said, but I was quite young at the time. You've stimulated my interest to put it on the list of books I want to read again.

Of course,the Ring can take many different interpretations, the Marxist one being one I find especially credible, Wagner having known Bakunin, for example, not to mention himelf being a wanted man in Germany in 1848 at the time he was writing the libretto.

I'd be interested to know how today's HIPP enthusiasts regard the book on Early Music interpretation, e..g has it dated? .
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 10:54:25 am »

I'd be interested to know how today's HIPP enthusiasts regard the book on Early Music interpretation, e..g has it dated? .

I don't think Donington's writings (as such) have - or will ever - become 'dated'. This is because they are always presented around the citations of writers of the time which will to some extent always remain empirical. What, however, may have become dated is the approaches of performers who, at various times, have chosen to interpret the evidence Donington gives in various differing ways. Taking aspects of Baroque music for example, it has become fashionable to believe that we have at last 'arrived at' a true understanding of performance practice. But this belief has been with us in various forms for the past 50 years, despite the radical changes that are noticeable in recorded performances spanning this time.

An example may be given from a book not so far mentioned: Donington's A Performer's Guide to Baroque Music (1973). Despite the assertions of some - especially Roger Norrington - that Vibrato in string playing is inappropriate in musical performance prior to works composed well into the 20th century, we find in Donington's writing that considerable evidence is adduced to contradict this presumption. The following extract is well worth reading for clarification:

The problem with too many of today's HIP personnel is that they are perhaps too ready to assume that the sounds they have come to like (through habit) are now the 'true' sounds that musicians of the day would have preferred. Paradoxically this shows a mind just as closed off from the evidence as we for decades witnessed in performances that pre-dated this movement.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 02:14:13 am »

So - it would seem that vibrato - like music itself - might be a natural human instinct?

Here are the pages about unnotated accidentals which so impressed me. These same principles could be applied with profit even to Mozart Beethoven and Brahms from time to time could they not? - to intensify the experience at moments of high emotional drama.

Report Spam   Logged
Reiner Torheit
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 06:26:54 am »

The question of musica ficta (adding accidentals which are not notated) began in the Middle Ages.  Originally it was a practice which reconciled theory with practice.  Theory dictated that certain intervals were permitted and allowed - but others were in theory discordant.  As Donington quotes, the interval of the augmented fourth (or diminished fifth, whichever you prefer to call it) was officially called diabolus in musica.   This was no jokey term - in the Middle Ages, it was regarded as heretical to write such an interval,  and action might be taken against the composer who tried it.  Thus composers left the interval unmarked with accidental it required - trusting to performers to add it in performance.
Report Spam   Logged
Paul
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:44:49 am »

This new line of inquiry corroborates my observation that only ‘views’ become dated rather that the circumstantial evidence adduced. In this case Donington has uncharacteristically made an assumption – one so fundamental indeed that it was only in the late 1970s that its own fiction became laid to rest. That assumption was this: “Musica Ficta = unwritten (or ‘editorial’) accidentals.” This presumption is echoed also in Reiner’s message, and was still to be found unashamedly proclaimed as late as Richard Hoppin’s Medieval Music (1978) in the phrase “Musica ficta (i.e. editorial accidentals)...”. It is important therefore to understand properly what those writers cited by Donington themselves understood by the two complementary terms musica recta and musica ficta.

It will then be seen that accidentals – both written and unwritten – of both types (recta and ficta) existed together, and that in consequence the application of unwritten accidentals in itself is not any more to do with musica ficta than with musica recta. Moreover accidentals that are notated are mostly (though not always) examples themselves of musica ficta rather than recta. So having broken a false premise, it is necessary to understand exactly what both musica ficta and musica recta actually are and always had been. They are not what are proclaimed by Donington and Hoppin!

Here is a diagram of the so-called ‘Guidonian Hand’ invented in order to assist singers in the pitching of their written melodies...

This diagram contains all the recognised notes of musica recta against each of which appear various solmisation symbols in the order: ut re mi fa sol la. The lowest note is Gamma (-ut) and this literally marks the ‘Gamut’ of the entire compass. The scale provided (extending from low G up 2.5 octaves to high D) can be read as follows: starting with the top joint of the thumb move down the thumb and then across the lowest points of the fingers; then up the little finger, and across the top joints of the remaining fingers; then down to the lowest joint of the index finger, and across the fingers to the third finger; then up to the middle joint of the third finger and across to the middle joint of the second finger. By moving through this spiral (having learnt by heart how all the pitches relate with one another) the Gamut is complete, and provides the Pythagorean diatonic scale in which the two higher Bs exist both as B-natural (B-mi) and Bb (B-fa). These two pitches – one flat and one natural – are therefore both recta pitches – whether or not they may or may not be written into the music itself or merely ‘added’ by the performer ‘editorially’.

In practice, therefore, the scale can be represented upon a conventional keyboard by all the white notes from bottom G (bottom line of the bass clef) up to top D (4th line of the treble clef), but adding also the notes Bb for the two higher positions only. (In reality the Gamut was understood to extend up a further note to E-la-mi, but diagrams seldom bothered to include this.)

Now since what is ‘given in the hand’ is deemed to be musica recta, it follows that all the remaining ‘fictitious’ pitches that are not indicated therein are classed as musica ficta. Their status is in no way dependent upon whether or not they happen to be indicated in the music, or merely performed ‘editorially’. Very often they are written, and very often they are not – either way they are still musica ficta. Obviously these ‘fictitious’ notes comprise all the missing ‘black’ notes (Eb, F#, G# Ab and so on), which despite their absence from the diatonic scale are nonetheless readily available for use whether through compulsion (i.e. to avoid unwanted dissonance) or mere desire (i.e. to decorate a melody or make it more elegant). This is where the two classes of ficta arise: ficta causa necessitates and ficta causa pulchritudinis (the former being ‘necessary’ and the latter merely ‘for beauty’).

It is at this point that theoretical issues of recta-versus-ficta take on a new premise: diatonic-versus-chromatic. To what extent should a normal diatonic melody be ‘coloured’ by the use/intrusion of chromatic notes?

But this is now only the starting point for a very different line of enquiry!...

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: