The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:01:40 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12272 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: December 23, 2012, 02:10:51 am »

For my own edification I tried to run through in my mind what CPO is engaged on and what its future plans may be.

The release of the Weingartner Symphony No.7 will have brought that composer's symphonic output to a conclusion. However of other Austrian composers cpo has still to release the Emil von Reznicek Symphonies Nos. 3 and 4 or any of the Johann Nepomuk David symphonies, some of which at least have been recorded by them.

The Panufnik Sinfonia di Sfere(No.6) and Sinfonia della Speranza(No.9) are still to come from a series which has, gratifyingly, been released over a relatively short period.

Edvin Kallstenius's five symphonies are promised and we must hope that the company intend to add the Rudolph Simonsen Nos. 3 and 4 to their earlier release of the quite excellent Nos. 1 and 2. Cpo is also promising a Lars-Erik Larsson set, if I recall.

All four van Gilse symphonies are now available but there are a lot of Julius Rontgen symphonies to come together with the Henk Badings Nos. 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13 and 15. The Hendrik Andriessen No.1 has recently been released so we may expect in time the other three symphonies. There was an indication that cpo intended to record the Willem Pijper three symphonies but no further news about this has reached my ears.

(Meanwhile, I presume that BIS will continue recording the Kalevi Aho symphonies, including Nos. 5 and 6, and its sluggish Allan Pettersson series and that we can, hopefully count on a complete set of the Weinberg symphonies from Chandos and Naxos. Dacapo is going to give us the complete Riisager symphonies but I doubt whether we can expect a Paul von Klenau continuation :(
The Roy Harris/Naxos series we may have to forget about ::) Naxos MAY be continuing its Havergal Brian cycle...but who knows ::) There is a new Naxos/Villa-Lobos cycle just beginning. The forthcoming Alba release of the Merikanto No. 2 will give us all his symphonies.)

So.....who am I missing ???
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest128
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:08 am »

Nice summary.  Was the Natanael Berg cycle ever completed?  I don't think so.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 02:51:05 am »

Quite correct.

The Natanael Berg Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5 are still to come.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 02:59:46 am »

Berg's 4th is on Sterling and Phono Suecia CDs and his 5th is in our downloads :)

How about Bruno Walter's second symphony? Cpo recorded his first, which although rather clumsy and murky at times, is a fascinating, sometimes powerful piece :)

Then there's Gunter Raphael, whose wonderful Symphonies 2-5 Cpo has recorded. They have not yet done his first nor the four unnumbered symphonies.

I also truly hope Cpo will record Simonsen's Symphonies 3 and 4! The first and second are marvelous pieces :)

A shame we shall probably not see any further Klenau symphonies from Dacapo :(

I probably wouldn't count on Bis recording Aho's fifth and sixth symphonies, taking a glance at their disappointing release schedule over the past months :(
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 03:10:41 am »

Bruno Walter and Gunter Raphael.........indeed!

I don't know for sure about von Klenau but there has been nothing further from Dacapo for some time now :(
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 03:20:11 am »

Also Georg Schumann. Cpo recently recorded his Symphony in B minor (the second of three), but there still remains an early Symphony in A major (1885) and a later Symphony in F minor (1905).
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 03:45:25 am »

Regarding Bis' Brazilian symphonies recordings with John Neschling (sorry if this is off-topic :-[):

-They have recorded only the Sinfonia tropical of Francisco Mignone. There still remains the Sinfonia do trabalho (available for dowload here) and the Sinfonia transamazonica.
-They have recorded all but the final seventh symphony of Camargo Guarnieri.
-They have recorded only the fourth and ninth symphonies of Claudio Santoro out of fourteen total. The fifth, though, is available as an mp3 download from Amazon on the Tratore label.

Neschling is such a wonderful, enthusiastic conductor of Brazilian music :). It's a shame we haven't seen him appear on disc for quite a while now :(
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 08:25:05 am »

Any particular reason for that, and what's missing?
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 10:28:51 am »

Several comments:

1) In case of Günter Raphael, I should point out two issues: first, we have the wonderful Querstand series dedicated to selected pieces from his output. All five discs are now available via jpc, and I just got Volume 4 of it which contains a number of orchestral works, including the Sinfonia breve Op. 67. I still haven't given it a total listen because of a lack of time, but my first impressions are very positive, and anybody interested in Raphael's symphonies should really buy this as I think.

The other thing is that I have my doubts about whether we can expect recordings of all remaining Raphael symphonies at all, at least in case of those which weren't published (and this holds for any of them but the Sinfonia breve) I guess this will be difficult since I read that Raphael actually forbade the publication of any of his pieces which weren't printed during his lifetime, so it seems that most of his unnumbered symphonies are in manuscript only and might stay so forever.

2) Though I do not understand all the decisions BIS take myself, I do not think we can blame them for their Aho policies in particular: note that alone in 2012, no less than three new discs with music by Aho have come out! That is definitely not a matter of course in my view. Among them is a recording of his Chamber Symphonies Nos. 1–3 which I got a week ago and found really exciting.

My assumption is that regarding his Symphonies Nos. 5&6, the reasons why they haven't been recorded so far may also be found it what Aho himself said about them. I have to recall this from memory but as far as I remember, he said that both of these symphonies are not only very complicated pieces with respect to the music itself but also with respect to the technical demands on the orchestra. He said that he finally reached an extreme position here (and especially in his Sixth) which prevented him from composing further symphonies for a couple of years, until he tried out a totally different approach in his Seventh.

So, while I cannot understand why BIS do not intend to do a Rosenberg cycle, for instance, I do also think they are doing a great job in case of Aho, not least in the past year.

Meanwhile, I am pretty sure we can be optimist in case of Weinberg. Naxos already released two discs of their series so far, and Chandos seem to continue their work in a slow but constant pace (= about one disc per year). I would also hope for a continuation of CPO's Henk Badings symphonies cycle. In case of Havergal Brian, it seems that at least the work is split over several companies, so that in the end we might have the whole cycle on CD even if not all from one label.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »

Also Georg Schumann. Cpo recently recorded his Symphony in B minor (the second of three), but there still remains an early Symphony in A major (1885) and a later Symphony in F minor (1905).

Noted :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »

Regarding Bis' Brazilian symphonies recordings with John Neschling (sorry if this is off-topic :-[):

-They have recorded only the Sinfonia tropical of Francisco Mignone. There still remains the Sinfonia do trabalho (available for dowload here) and the Sinfonia transamazonica.
-They have recorded all but the final seventh symphony of Camargo Guarnieri.
-They have recorded only the fourth and ninth symphonies of Claudio Santoro out of fourteen total. The fifth, though, is available as an mp3 download from Amazon on the Tratore label.

Neschling is such a wonderful, enthusiastic conductor of Brazilian music :). It's a shame we haven't seen him appear on disc for quite a while now :(

Neschling has ceded the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra to Marin Alsop.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 01:40:30 pm »

Any particular reason for that, and what's missing?

I do not KNOW that Dacapo does not intend to record more von Klenau but it is some years now since we got his First, Fifth and Seventh Symphonies. I would love to hear the Second, the choral Third, the "Dante-Symphonie"(No.4), the "Nordische Symphonie"(No.6) and the more recently discovered Nos. 8 and the choral No.9.

It does not, I suspect, help that von Klenau seems to have identified himself more latterly as a Dane living and working in Germany in the 1930s. As sn active proponent of the music of composers like Ravel, Scriabin, Delius, Debussy, Schoenberg, Berg etc. his music is, at least, interesting, and at best much more than that.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 02:03:32 pm »

In response to Holger's very informative post-

(a) Gunter Raphael. I had no idea that Querstand had a Raphael series on disc ::) I shall certainly buy Volume 4 as soon as possible and have revised my catalogue information accordingly :) What you say about the other symphonies is sad but we may simply have to accept that.

(b) Kalvei Aho. I have huge respect and admiration for the commitment of BIS to Aho's music. Aho is a very fine composer indeed; one of the finest modern symphonists in fact. I have bought all the BIS releases. I was puzzled by the omission of Symphonies Nos. 5 and 6. I know that Robert von Bahr intended to record at least one of them (No.6, I suspect; Ondine have a recording of No.5 on cd) but abandoned the recording when he found that the conductor and orchestra could not handle the piece.

(c) Hilding Rosenberg. Robert von Bahr doesn't like Rosenberg's music. End of story.

(d) BIS in general. I used to buy a lot of BIS releases and still do buy their Aho releases :) but I note that the company is now issuing a lot of music which might be described as very "mainstream classical". I suspect that this may be because, like other record companies, they need sales to stay afloat :(
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 02:21:10 pm »

So....to recapitulate ;D

CPO's current 20th century orchestral projects are (or should be) to complete their

1. Natanael Berg series with Symphonies Nos. 4 and 5
2. Andrzej Panufnik series with Nos. 6 and 9
3. Emil von Reznicek series with Nos. 3 and 4
4. Hendrk Andriessen series with Nos. 2, 3 and 4
5. Henk Badings series with Nos. 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 13 and 15
6. Julius Rontgen series with a large number of symphonies ;D
7. Rudolph Simonsen series with Nos. 3 and 4.

8. Record Bruno Walter's No.2
9. Record the other two Georg Schumann symphonies

and...to start their

1. Edvin Kallstenius series
2. Johann Nepomuk David series
3. Lars-Erik Larsson series
4. Willem Pijper series
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 08:02:40 pm »

The other thing is that I have my doubts about whether we can expect recordings of all remaining Raphael symphonies at all, at least in case of those which weren't published (and this holds for any of them but the Sinfonia breve) I guess this will be difficult since I read that Raphael actually forbade the publication of any of his pieces which weren't printed during his lifetime, so it seems that most of his unnumbered symphonies are in manuscript only and might stay so forever.

Thanks for that valuable, if depressing, piece of information, Holger. That's a real shame, as I really enjoyed his second through fifth symphonies!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: