The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:47:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12276 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2018, 06:47:56 pm »

It's certainly the case that CPO releases tend to have the most prolix, wordy liner notes you are ever likely to encounter.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2018, 11:21:46 pm »

It's certainly the case that CPO releases tend to have the most prolix, wordy liner notes you are ever likely to encounter.

Is generic vacuousness preferable?

If you read German it becomes evident that ungainly translations can often be blamed for the obscurities and ponderousness.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 13, 2018, 09:14:40 am »

Perhaps it's the translators that slow everything down and not the academics!

;D
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2018, 08:51:21 am »

Some new releases for May (28, in Germany). Franz Lachner opera and 3rd symphony:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/franz-lachner-catharina-cornaro/hnum/3097613
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/franz-lachner-symphonie-nr-3/hnum/6096032
Leo van der Pals, never heard of this globetrotter.... A new 'ongoing' CPO project?
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/leopold-van-der-pals-orchesterwerke/hnum/6100120
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2018, 12:20:21 pm »

Leo van der Pals, never heard of this globetrotter.... A new 'ongoing' CPO project?
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/leopold-van-der-pals-orchesterwerke/hnum/6100120

This looks interesting!

I wonder how this "Wieland the Smith" compares with Hausegger's?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2018, 02:25:45 pm »

With the three Lars-Erik Larsson symphonies now released CPO's "ongoing series" would now seem to be:

1) Johann Nepomuk David (Austria-Germany): four symphonies released out of eight.
2) Julius Rontgen (Netherlands): eleven symphonies released out of twenty-two extant.
3) Henk Badings (Netherlands): eight symphonies released out of fifteen.
4) Louis Glass (Denmark): two symphonies released out of six.

The David are being recorded by the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra under Johannes Wildner....but at snail's pace. The Rontgen and Badings continuation depends I suppose on the conductor David Porcelijn's commitment to them.

I am pretty pessimistic about:

5) Rudolph Simonsen (Denmark): two symphonies released out of four. These were recorded in 2006 and released in 2009 but the conductor was Israel Yinon who died in 2015.
6) Nathanael Berg (Sweden): three symphonies released out of five. These were recorded in 2006-2007 and released in 2009-2010. The conductor was Ari Rasilainen who does not seem to do much for CPO these days.
7) Edvin Kallstenius (Sweden): one symphony released (to some acclaim) out of five. However that recording by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra under Frank Beermann, released in 2014, was actually recorded in October 2007.

I may be wrong but my gut feeling is that CPO has lost interest in these three composers.

Maybe they should take up the Norwegian Klaus Egge, the Swede Hilding Rosenberg, the Finn Ernest Pingoud, the Pole Grazyna Bacewicz ?????
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2018, 05:31:40 pm »

And I'm hoping there will be more Louis Glass symphonies,so I can finally say goodbye to those Plovdiv cd's!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2018, 05:42:54 pm »

And I'm hoping there will be more Louis Glass symphonies,so I can finally say goodbye to those Plovdiv cd's!

My apologies. I overlooked Glass. I shall add to my post.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 24, 2018, 11:54:40 am »

I think cpo introduced Paul Graener some years ago and seemed to have the intention to release a complete survey of his orchestral works (3 Volumes released so far)?
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2018, 05:38:12 pm »

and why not a Micky Mouse symphonies cycle !!! seems every composers name snapped open must have his own symphonies cycle. My goodness ...
Mickey Mouse composed symphonies?!!!! :o
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #130 on: August 07, 2018, 06:15:22 pm »

I think cpo introduced Paul Graener some years ago and seemed to have the intention to release a complete survey of his orchestral works (3 Volumes released so far)?

hmm .....I seem to remember that some members had a problem with Graener :   "Graener had joined the Militant League for German Culture, and on 1 April 1933 he became a member of the Nazi Party."   Don't want to open that can of worms but just saying...!!!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 07, 2018, 07:57:00 pm »

Okay, there're many more composers with Nazi sympathies. There're many with Stalin sympathies etc. I think cpo intends to evaluate Graener's music, not his sympathies.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2018, 09:45:16 pm »

Okay, there're many more composers with Nazi sympathies. There're many with Stalin sympathies etc. I think cpo intends to evaluate Graener's music, not his sympathies.

The unspoken assumption among those who protest such things is that the music must be infected with the sympathies.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2018, 11:29:02 pm »

The subject of the political affiliations,sympathies, associations of particular composers has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam. The discussion goes round and round in circles and is incapable of resolution.

I would respectfully suggest that we leave it alone.
Report Spam   Logged
guest128
« Reply #134 on: August 08, 2018, 12:24:10 am »

The subject of the political affiliations,sympathies, associations of particular composers has been discussed on this forum ad nauseam. The discussion goes round and round in circles and is incapable of resolution.

I would respectfully suggest that we leave it alone.

Inappropriate as this thread might be for the discussion, if some members (me not included) want to go more rounds with the topic elsewhere why would that be problematic?  The resolution of debates is a rare occurrence in any case. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: