The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:50:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12290 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2018, 04:31:10 am »

I see that CPO have commenced on a new cycle of the symphonies of Hugo Alfven.

Now there are already complete sets of all five Alfven symphonies from BIS (Royal Stockholm Philharmonic/Neeme Jarvi) and Naxos (Royal Scottish National Orchestra/Niklas Willen).
Do I feel like investing in another Alfven series (spread out over goodness knows how many years!)? Frankly, no. Others will disagree.

At the same time Chandos has embarked on a Dag Wiren cycle with the Iceland Symphony Orchestra/Rumon Gamba when we already have a CPO set conducted by Thomas Dausgaard.

Such duplication is fine for those who have the money and time to spend on duplication. It is galling for those of us who consider the continuing neglect of arguably Sweden's finest symphonist, Hilding Rosenberg, scandalous.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2018, 12:42:37 pm »

I can't wait for a new Alfven cycle. He's the "creme dela creme" of the swedish romantics, better than Atterberg or Peterson-Berger.  You mentioned Hilding Rosenberg, most of his symphonies are aviable, and i think it's redundant music. Alan Pettersson is the FINEST swedish symphonist !!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »

In fact the Rosenberg symphonies which are available are, with the exceptions of recordings of Nos. 3 and 6, over 30 years old or even older and there is no cycle of the symphonies from any single label (unlike Alfven, Atterberg, Rangstrom, Larsson, Wiren, Pettersson, Blomdahl, Nystroem.........).
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2018, 08:19:54 pm »

A von Koch cycle would also be welcome.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2018, 12:27:00 am »

Orthel,Koetsier.Escher.
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2018, 08:12:01 am »

and why not a Micky Mouse symphonies cycle !!! seems every composers name snapped open must have his own symphonies cycle. My goodness ...
Report Spam   Logged

Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2018, 06:26:05 pm »

and why not a Micky Mouse symphonies cycle !!!

You think there are some? You may be confusing it with "Loony Tunes"... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Merry-Go-Round_Broke_Down
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2018, 02:39:03 am »

Orthel, Koetsier, Escher.
Absolutely, all three of them. And also Van Otterloo (his restored Second Symphony proved a revelation).
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2018, 07:51:33 am »

Off topic I'm sure, but........... Van Otterloo's Symphony #2 (arr. by Otto Ketting)Well here it's
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2018, 07:09:02 pm »

I certainly do not disagree with the composers named by other members as worthy of attention from CPO.

What I would prefer is that they completed those series on which they embarked some time ago. I received by post today the new cd with Johann Nepomuk David's 2nd and 4th symphonies. The recording was made in Vienna between September 22-26, 2008. So it has taken almost a decade for these symphonies to get from recording to release :o

I intend to write to CPO to enquire how long we might wait for-
the remaining 4 David symphonies
the rest of the Edvin Kallstenius symphonies
the rest of the Henk Badings symphonies

Record companies need to understand more clearly that their loyal customers deserve better information, even if perforce it has to be incomplete, somewhat vague, conditional etc etc.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2018, 08:30:55 pm »

I sincerely hope you get a reply. A year or two ago I've also asked about the Badings cycle.... and about the intended Pijper symphonies .... and Van Gilse's Thijl..... still waiting for an answer....
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2018, 09:32:13 pm »

I sincerely hope you get a reply. A year or two ago I've also asked about the Badings cycle.... and about the intended Pijper symphonies .... and Van Gilse's Thijl..... still waiting for an answer....

Thank you. I can but try! If I do not get a reply then I would regard that as genuinely insulting.

CPO does an absolutely wonderful job in recording the music of neglected composers. But, like any commercial undertaking, they depend on their customers buying their products. These loyal customers deserve some respect!!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2018, 03:46:12 am »

Just a brief addendum to my previous post and.my comments on the Johann Nepomuk David cycle, I see from various online sources that Johannes Wildner recorded Symphonies Nos. 3 and 7 in March 2014.

So........
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2018, 11:19:39 am »

I can give you the answer, that CPO will officially never give. Mostly the reason is, that they always waiting for an academical booklet text for several years. many academics are slow and lazy. Schmilgun babbled about that in the JPC courier some years ago, to legitimate the late release of the first Kallstenius disc. And its definitely not a singular case. Believe it or not, i hold every bet, that the 2014 recorded next David recording, will not be released bevor 2020 !  >:( 
Report Spam   Logged

Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2018, 02:56:04 pm »

Since the booklet notes for the releases which take longest to reach our shelves after recording are usually written by German academics the suggestion that they are "slow and lazy" seems a bit wierd There must be others who CPO could turn to in a country as big as Germany with so many musicologists. The notes for the recent David cd-the one which took ten years to release- were written by Dr. Bernhard Kahn from the JN David Archive in Stuttgart. I would have thought that they would be as anxious as most to get the music to the public! His notes had to be translated into English but that would take, at most, weeks not years.

I am not saying that this is not an issue for CPO but I am saying that it is one which could and should be overcome.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: