The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:21:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12258 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2017, 01:20:18 pm »

In addition, Porcelijn states in the interview:
- that he supposes the Hendrik Andriessen CD with the Fourth Symphony will be the last of the series ('Dat zal waarschijnlijk ook de laatste blijven.'), which gives little hope of a sequel with Andriessen's other major work (esp. his larg choral/orchestral pieces, or the masses).
- that he considers Badings a more original composer than Van Gilse ('een nog persoonlijker geluid dan Van Gilse').
- that it was the North Netherlands Orchestra, not CPO, that declined his proposal to record the remaining Dopper symphonies with them, but that they will be released anyway, with a German orchestra ('Die symfonieën komen op cd, maar we zullen het waarschijnlijk met een Duits orkest moeten doen'.)

Interesting! Porcelijn certainly seems the driving force behind all this. CPO has (brilliantly) exploited the relationship it has with orchestras in Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands etc to use the opportunities of radio broadcasts or public performances to combine with recordings and reduce costs. Big choral works are expensive and feature less often in consequence, although they do sometimes make it to cd.

I wonder if it is the Dopper Symphony No.4 "Symphonietta" which is missing?
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2017, 10:05:50 pm »

There are no missing symphonies by Dopper. They are all in the Dopper Archive: http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/images/inventaris/dopper.pdf
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 09, 2017, 07:40:53 pm »

I see that the forthcoming release of the Castelnuovo-Tedesco/Hans Gal cello concertos will be the first of a series of cello concertos by Jewish composers In Exile.

I wonder which we can expect? Schonberg, Ernst Krenek wrote two, Berthold Goldschmidt: these have all been recorded. Korngold's cello concerto has actually appeared on a previous cpo disc. There is the Franz Reizenstein which has never been recorded and which I think is a good bet given that the soloist is Raphael Wallfisch. Who else?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2017, 01:07:30 pm »

The new releases of the Georg Schumann Symphony in F minor and the Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Hans Gal Cello Concertos arrived in today's post. Both cds were recorded last year  Ok, CPO no more excuses; you can get recent recordings out on release! So....what about recordings you made years ago?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2017, 11:28:31 pm »

I see that the forthcoming release of the Castelnuovo-Tedesco/Hans Gal cello concertos will be the first of a series of cello concertos by Jewish composers In Exile.

I wonder which we can expect? Schonberg, Ernst Krenek wrote two, Berthold Goldschmidt: these have all been recorded. Korngold's cello concerto has actually appeared on a previous cpo disc. There is the Franz Reizenstein which has never been recorded and which I think is a good bet given that the soloist is Raphael Wallfisch. Who else?

To answer my own question: I see from Raphael Wallfisch's own website that future releases will include the Cello Concertos of-

Karl Weigl (1934)
Franz Reizenstein (composed in 1951; not 1936 as stated in my online catalogue)
Berthold Goldschmidt (1953)
Robert Starer (1988)

and Ernest Bloch's "Symphony for Cello and Orchestra". I am assuming that this is "Voices in the Wilderness" (1936). Whether however Ernest Bloch can really be considered a "Jewish composer in Exile" is a moot point!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2017, 07:14:22 am »

Out November, 13 - in Germany at jpc: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/emil-nikolaus-von-reznicek-benzin/hnum/4963369
Report Spam   Logged
patmos.beje
Level 4

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2017, 01:01:29 am »

I haven't purchased many CPO CDs in recent years.  The last was the first CD in the intended Larsson series.  I did contemplate purchasing the Holbrooke Violin Concerto but decided I was contented with the German radio broadcast download.

However, since acquiring in the 1970s an LP of the Heifetz Walton Concerto coupled with Castelnuovo-Tedesco second Violin Concerto, I have always been fond of the latter - although none of his other works have matched its appeal.

Accordingly, I decided to buy the disc of the Castelnuovo-Tedesco and Gal Cello Concertos.  I wasn't over impressed on a first listen albeit there were several attractive moments in both Concertos.  A few other listens have warmed me to both works.  I was particularly struck by the Gal having been disappointed with his Violin Concerto.  Not, in my opinion, the masterpieces the cellist claims they are but attractive pieces nonetheless and, in my view, worth having.

I will probably buy the Weigl Cello Concerto when it is released.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 11, 2017, 08:01:03 pm »

Will be released on cpo records December, 4th 2017.
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/jaromir-weinberger-wallenstein/hnum/7136596
Report Spam   Logged
Ilja
Level 1

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2018, 06:26:34 pm »

There are no missing symphonies by Dopper. They are all in the Dopper Archive: http://www.nederlandsmuziekinstituut.nl/images/inventaris/dopper.pdf

They are not missing perhaps, but Nos. 4 and 5 only exist in manuscript form, and they will need some work. The fourth is doable considering its length and the ensemble's size, but the Fifth ("Sinfonia Epica") is a huge, two-and-a-half-hour Mahler-sized affair with added instruments and two choirs. I've seen the ms and it will require pretty thorough editing.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 31, 2018, 08:42:23 am »

A second volume, available end of february, in the (I hope) ongoing JN David series at CPO https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/johann-nepomuk-david-symphonien-nr-2-4/hnum/7558140
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: January 31, 2018, 10:29:17 am »

Halleluja 

It has taken four years to get to Volume 2. I note that the recording appears to have been made in 2008, ie it has taken Ten Years to be released :o

Please, CPO, don't make us wait another four for the next instalment!
Report Spam   Logged
Expi
Level 3

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 10:13:11 am »

the reason for those delays are mostly, that CPO sets value on an academic funded booklet text, as Schmilgun once said. one reason more not to buy those cds. !!!!
Report Spam   Logged

Here is a short list of relevant british composers:
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:22 am »

Don't tell me it has to take 4 years to write a booklet for a single CD!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2018, 01:29:36 pm »

Don't tell me it has to take 4 years to write a booklet for a single CD!

Indeed!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2018, 09:24:25 pm »

I am more bemused as to why having an erudite booklet text would be a reason NOT to buy the CDs, but then I know Expi has a very contrary mindset  ???
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: