The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:48:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12230 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:49 pm »

Ah yes,Chandos! I remember them well! The feverish rifling through the pages of Gramophone to their latest release ad. And BIS,too! Good on Cpo. Please keep up the good work.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 06:16:42 pm »

Salamanov is one composer who needs modern recordings of his symphonies. Thankfully his string quartets have a good modern performance in the catalogue.

Agreed!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2017, 07:19:26 pm »

seems that labels now are reissuing their catalog in HD instead of focusing on new unrecorded works....uggghhh  another Beethoven or Brahms cycle... really????
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2017, 08:19:06 pm »

seems that labels now are reissuing their catalog in HD instead of focusing on new unrecorded works....uggghhh  another Beethoven or Brahms cycle... really????
True, even 'minors' like Pentatone, start recording the well known repertoire. From their newsletter: With his Moscow-based State Academic Symphony Orchestra “Evgeny Svetlanov” (GASO), the Russian maestro will helm a new complete cycle of the symphonies of Sergei Prokofiev , the first installment of which will feature Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 and is slated for release in November this year. Both the original and revised versions of Symphony No. 4 will follow in 2018. 
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 08:50:06 pm »

just fyi.....  info about the Louis Glass CD:

Item has not been released yet, probable delivery date is 25.7.2017.You can order the title now. It will be dispatched to you as soon as it is available.

Louis Glass (1864-1936)   
Symphonien Vol.2
Daniel Raiskin, Marianna Shirinyan,  Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie

Symphonie Nr. 5 C-Dur op. 57 "Svastika"
 +Fantasie op. 47 für Klavier & Orchester
Artists: Daniel Raiskin, Marianna Shirinyan, Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie
Label: CPO, DDD, 2013
Order number: 4111668
Release date: 25.7.2017
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 06:59:24 am »

Some interesting August 2017 releases:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/mario-castelnuovo-tedesco-cellokonzert/hnum/6096019
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/georg-schumann-symphonien/hnum/6096070
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/alexander-von-zemlinsky-die-seejungfrau/hnum/7136595
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 15, 2017, 10:23:54 pm »

The Georg Schumann works are new to cd and should be well worth hearing, paricularly the Symphony in F minor (1905), which is very highly rated by those who know the work. Schumann lived until 1952 and I would certainly like to see some of the music he wrote later in life on cd (the Variations and Gigue on a theme of Handel (1925), the Orchestral Variations on "Vetter Michael" (1930) and the Violin Concerto).

The Castelnuovo-Tedesco Cello Concerto is also new to cd. The Hans Gal appeared not so long ago on an Avie cd. Zemlinsky's "Die Seejungfrau" on the other hand has been recordedseveral times and there are six different versions already currently available so the field is a bit crowded here.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 01, 2017, 05:29:23 pm »

An update (of sorts) on CPO projects.

By my reckoning CPO have embarked on surveys of the symphonic output of around 46 composers who worked mainly if not entirely in the 20th century. They have completed, ie released all of the symphonies of 31 of these composers.

There are a number of composers who had one or two of their symphonies released but so long ago that it would be possibly realistic to doubt that the company has any plans to record/release any more. These include Karol Rathaus, Eduard Erdmann, Alfredo Casella, Rudolph Simonsen, Natanael Berg and Gunter Raphael. I would certainly not include them in a list of "ongoing CPO projects".

That leaves the following:

Johann Nepomuk David (Austria): two of the seven symphonies appeared in 2014 (Nos. 1 and 6). Oddly enough Mike Herman in his Discographies on Musicweb actually provides the cd label numbers for the recordings of Nos. 2 and 4 and of Nos. 3 and 7 and says that these two cds were released in 2015 (which they certainly were not). However this does seem to suggest that they will be released at some point!

Edvin Kallstenius (Sweden): Symphony No.1 was released in 2014. There are another four to go.

Henk Badings (Netherlands): Symphonies Nos. 2,3,4,5,7,10,12 and 14 have been released. Having told me previously that they had no further plans to continue this "series" they then produced Nos. 4 and 5 in 2015. So....who knows?

Lars-Erik Larsson (Sweden): Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 came out in 2014 and 2015. Again, Mike Herman provides the number of the cd containing Symphony No.3 and the orchestral couplings so I think we can expect this one soon..ish.

Louis Glass (Denmark): Symphonies Nos. 3 and 5 have been released (No.5 only in July) so this is indeed am ongoing series.

Julius Rontgen (Netherlands): the latest release is a cd containing Symphonies Nos. 9 and 21. Although just released the recordings were actually made in 2005 which (if true) would be astonishing even for CPO! There are, of course, a lot of the symphonies still unrecorded (Nos. 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 22, 23 and 24) so we might have to wait a very long time......

Felix Woyrsch (Germany): Symphonies Nos. 2 and 3 have been released, No. 3 in 2015. There are four symphonies to go.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 01, 2017, 11:04:26 pm »

Felix Woyrsch added above.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 02, 2017, 10:14:31 am »

Yep, the situation around the Dutch composers Röntgen and Badings is puzzling. An interview with conductor David Porcelijn, from september 2015, in Opus Klassiek https://www.opusklassiek.nl/interviews/porcelijn_interview.htm states (I translated some of the Dutch into English, probably with some mistakes):

Wat staat er verder bij CPO op stapel?
'Van Hendrik Andriessen komt nog de Vierde symfonie uit, de laatste opname uit Enschede. Dat zal waarschijnlijk ook de laatste blijven. Er komen nog drie cd's met symfonieën van Röntgen, die al zijn opgenomen in Helsingborg en Frankfurt an der Oder. Van Badings heb ik in Bochum de Vierde en Vijfde symfonie vastgelegd. De Achtste en Negende moeten nog worden opgenomen. Badings is een van de belangrijkste Nederlandse componisten, met een nog persoonlijker geluid dan Van Gilse. Van Cornelis Dopper zijn enkele symfonieën nooit opgenomen. Ik heb ze voorgesteld aan het Noord Nederlands Orkest, omdat Dopper uit Stadskanaal - hun regio - komt, maar ze willen niet. Onbegrijpelijk! Die symfonieën komen op cd, maar we zullen het waarschijnlijk met een Duits orkest moeten doen.'

What will CPO release in the near future?
Andriessen's symphony nr.4, done in Enschede (released). [...] Three more CD's with Röntgen symphonies, already recorded in Helsingborg and Frankfurt Oder, will follow. I did Badings nrs. 4 & 5 (released) in Bochum. Nr. 8 & 9 are still to be recorded. [...] Some symphonies by Cornelis Dopper have never been recorded. I suggested cpo to record them with the North Netherlands orchestra, that's because Dopper lived in Stadskanaal (Groningen) but they declined. I don't get that. Those symphonies will be recorded but I think we've to record them with German orchestras.

Although there was mention of recording the three symphonies of Willem Pijper with Porcelijn and the Enschede orchestra - which could be done on 1 CD - I've never heard anything more about that project.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 02, 2017, 05:13:59 pm »

Would love to have more Dopper!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:39 pm »

Yep, the situation around the Dutch composers Röntgen and Badings is puzzling. An interview with conductor David Porcelijn, from september 2015, in Opus Klassiek https://www.opusklassiek.nl/interviews/porcelijn_interview.htm states (I translated some of the Dutch into English, probably with some mistakes):

Wat staat er verder bij CPO op stapel?
'Van Hendrik Andriessen komt nog de Vierde symfonie uit, de laatste opname uit Enschede. Dat zal waarschijnlijk ook de laatste blijven. Er komen nog drie cd's met symfonieën van Röntgen, die al zijn opgenomen in Helsingborg en Frankfurt an der Oder. Van Badings heb ik in Bochum de Vierde en Vijfde symfonie vastgelegd. De Achtste en Negende moeten nog worden opgenomen. Badings is een van de belangrijkste Nederlandse componisten, met een nog persoonlijker geluid dan Van Gilse. Van Cornelis Dopper zijn enkele symfonieën nooit opgenomen. Ik heb ze voorgesteld aan het Noord Nederlands Orkest, omdat Dopper uit Stadskanaal - hun regio - komt, maar ze willen niet. Onbegrijpelijk! Die symfonieën komen op cd, maar we zullen het waarschijnlijk met een Duits orkest moeten doen.'

What will CPO release in the near future?
Andriessen's symphony nr.4, done in Enschede (released). [...] Three more CD's with Röntgen symphonies, already recorded in Helsingborg and Frankfurt Oder, will follow. I did Badings nrs. 4 & 5 (released) in Bochum. Nr. 8 & 9 are still to be recorded. [...] Some symphonies by Cornelis Dopper have never been recorded. I suggested cpo to record them with the North Netherlands orchestra, that's because Dopper lived in Stadskanaal (Groningen) but they declined. I don't get that. Those symphonies will be recorded but I think we've to record them with German orchestras.

Although there was mention of recording the three symphonies of Willem Pijper with Porcelijn and the Enschede orchestra - which could be done on 1 CD - I've never heard anything more about that project.

Thanks for this!

The Henk Badings Symphonies Nos. 8 and 9 are 18 and 19 minutes long respectively so a lot more could be put onto that cd!!  No. 11, for example, is a mere 7 minutes long. (Incidentally, No.9 is already on a Polymnie cd.)

As you say, the three Pijper symphonies would comfortably make it onto a single cd.

As for Cornelis Dopper (who one might think would be very much to the taste of those at CPO), the thinking may be that Chandos recorded the Second, Third and Sixth Symphonies and there are a couple of cd recordings of the Seventh.  Of the other three I seem to vaguely recall that there were some doubts about whether one of them was still in existence in full score (the big choral Symphony No.5 "Sinfonia epica" ?? - which would be very expensive to record even if it does still exist).
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2017, 08:53:03 am »

In addition, Porcelijn states in the interview:
- that he supposes the Hendrik Andriessen CD with the Fourth Symphony will be the last of the series ('Dat zal waarschijnlijk ook de laatste blijven.'), which gives little hope of a sequel with Andriessen's other major work (esp. his larger choral/orchestral pieces, or the masses).
- that he considers Badings a more original composer than Van Gilse ('een nog persoonlijker geluid dan Van Gilse').
- that it was the North Netherlands Orchestra, not CPO, that declined his proposal to record the remaining Dopper symphonies with them, but that they will be released anyway, probably with a German orchestra ('Die symfonieën komen op cd, maar we zullen het waarschijnlijk met een Duits orkest moeten doen'.)
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Gauk
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2017, 09:31:09 am »

I have to share his opinion about Badings and van Gilse. I'm not sure I like Badings's music, but it is certainly original, whereas van Gilse I find rather pallid.
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2017, 11:26:36 am »

The score of Dopper's symphony no. 5 exists.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: