The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 02:54:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12284 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2017, 12:47:43 pm »

And I am astounded,judging by all your posts over the years,both here and at the GMG Forum,that anyone would think otherwise!! ??? :o

:) :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2017, 02:39:04 pm »

It should also be noted-although I did not know or had forgotten-that the conductor of the Ben-Haim cd is Israel Yinon. Yinon died whilst conducting in Lucerne in January 2015. He did a great deal for the music of a large number of neglected composers.
Report Spam   Logged
oldfezzi
Level 2

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 03, 2017, 06:04:18 pm »

I love their recordings and am grateful for them.  What irritates me is, the Hausegger was announced for release two years ago.   The Graener Cello Concerto was too and we've heard nary a word about it since.  What is their point in making these silly announcements when they don't intend to release as promised???
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2017, 07:16:42 pm »

I love their recordings and am grateful for them.  What irritates me is, the Hausegger was announced for release two years ago.   The Graener Cello Concerto was too and we've heard nary a word about it since.  What is their point in making these silly announcements when they don't intend to release as promised???

yes it seems like it takes years for these cycles to be released..... some of the new Naxos CDs being released were recorded in the 1990s.... uggghh
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 03, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »

yes it seems like it takes years for these cycles to be released..... some of the new Naxos CDs being released were recorded in the 1990s.... uggghh

Some of these might be recordings which were issued under other labels and are being released by Naxos, I know this is the case for their American music series.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2017, 12:35:13 am »

In defence of CPO it is a bit Catch-22. If they did not tell us in advance about future releases-as many other companies do not-then we might grumble about that. CPO so tell us about future releases but then take some years to actually release them. Tough call
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2017, 10:06:14 pm »

Well, there it is, GLASS volume 2 https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/louis-glass-symphonie-nr-5/hnum/4111668
And the Barbarossa by HAUSEGGER https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/siegmund-von-hausegger-barbarossa/hnum/4963361
Both to be released July, 25 (in Germany)
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2017, 03:16:22 am »

Glad to see the Glass CD come out... no doubt will be better sound quality than the Danacord version.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2017, 02:31:30 pm »

Fantastic news! :) The Cpo recording of the third symphony revealed a lovely,romantic,tuneful symphony in all it's glory. The Suite was,imho,arguably even finer. I would have liked to hear what they could do with one of the other symphonies really,because we all know (or some of us,anyway?) how good the Fifth is already. Still,musn't grumble,as they say;and I can see the reasoning here.Incidentally,according to the paper inlay,the third Symphony was recorded in September 2009. The actual cd was released in 2014.

The Hausegger is not currently on my 'wish' list;but I bought the cd of his Natursymphonie a few months ago,and after a few listens,I do think it is quite a find. Is anyone here planning to order this,follow-up,release,I wonder?
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2017, 03:47:21 pm »

I can fully appreciate your delight at seeing another instalment in CPO's Louis Glass series :) You have been expressing your hopes that there would be another such release for some time on this forum ;D ;D

I am also pleased to note the forthcoming further release of music by von Hausseger. At the same time this one rather puzzles me. The last von Hausseger cd appeared for sale in the UK only two months ago (April). Such a "delay" in following up one cd by another of the same composer's music is, as far as I can recall, unprecedented ;D

......now, what about another instalment in the Johann Nepomuk David series ???
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2017, 04:37:41 pm »

I can fully appreciate your delight at seeing another instalment in CPO's Louis Glass series :) You have been expressing your hopes that there would be another such release for some time on this forum ;D ;D

I am also pleased to note the forthcoming further release of music by von Hausseger. At the same time this one rather puzzles me. The last von Hausseger cd appeared for sale in the UK only two months ago (April). Such a "delay" in following up one cd by another of the same composer's music is, as far as I can recall, unprecedented ;D

......now, what about another instalment in the Johann Nepomuk David series ???
Not following the von Hausegger series that closely,I didn't realise that this was a vol 3!!!! Does this mean I can expect a third cd in the Louis Glass series in mid to late August?!! :o ;D Can't wait (Erm,I wouldn't have to,really! ;D)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2017, 03:38:27 pm »

There's often a bit of grumbling when a recording label brings out another recorded cycle of a less well known composer that has already been done. In this case,the Plovdiv performances,and recording quality,were so sub-standard I don't think anyone should be complaining this new one from Cpo. I think the Cpo recording of Louis Glass' third symphony,and the Suite that accompanies it,were quite a revelation for me. It has certainly provided me with allot of pleasure. As for further dulicate cycles of lesser known composers. If I had a recording label the Tournemire symphonies would definitely be high on my list. Although,if I did have a recording label (perchance to dream?!! ;D) composers and works that haven't been recorded would be a priority. I'd still need funding,though!! I couldn't fund my complete recordings of Holbrooke's The Cauldron of Annwn cycle,Queen Mab,Apollo and the Seaman and,Dundonnell would be pleased to hear,a Peter Racine Fricker cycle,on hot air,could I?!!

??? ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2017, 10:39:33 pm »

I don't think anyone could disagree that the Plovdiv versions of the Louis Glass symphonies needed to be at least supplemented if not replaced by more satisfactory modern recordings and that CPO were quite right to seek to do just that. I have queried some decisions made by, for example, Chandos in issuing new sets of recordings of works already available but I have no problems with the Glass.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2017, 07:43:46 am »

Salamanov is one composer who needs modern recordings of his symphonies. Thankfully his string quartets have a good modern performance in the catalogue.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2017, 03:42:40 pm »

I don't think anyone could disagree that the Plovdiv versions of the Louis Glass symphonies needed to be at least supplemented if not replaced by more satisfactory modern recordings and that CPO were quite right to seek to do just that. I have queried some decisions made by, for example, Chandos in issuing new sets of recordings of works already available but I have no problems with the Glass.

I agree... Glass deserves a new cycle.  Everytime I visit the BIS or Chandos site, I get discouraged by another Beethoven, Bach, Brahms, Mozart, or Tchaikovsky cycle... Ondine included.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: