The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:12:11 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12273 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2014, 11:51:49 pm »

The Larsson entr'actes for A Winter's Tale are gems - really, really, "must hear".
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 03:50:57 pm »

I agree! It's just finding the spare cash! Mind you,if you really love a composer!! ;D
In a perfect world there would be multiple versions of Bantock's pagan symphony or,let me see,if you like his music,Brian's third. The Gothic is a bit too OTT for me,but I find that one fascinating! The Hyperion third is boxy and dull. The Pope recording,in our archive,brings this wildly eccentric score to life. Yet,the Hyperion recording is the one most people will hear! As to the Marco Polo No 2? Words fail me! The Mackerras recording in our archive shows how this uneven,but in my opinion absorbing score,should be done. However,the Marco Polo/Naxos reissue is the one most people will hear!!
And then there is Louis Glass? He got the Plovdiv! They sound like an old wind up gramophone cranking up and the sound is abysmal. I don't know why they even bothered? I quite like No's 3 & 5 and would like to hear a really good performance in state of the art sound. No 4 sounds like Glass bit off a bit more than he could chew,but it's sheer ambition intrigues me and until I can hear a decent performance I'm going to give Louis Glass the benefit of the doubt!
Tournemire is on a different level of inspiration imho,and I would love to hear other recordings of No's 3,5,6 & 8;let alone a decent recording of No 4,which has some truly magical orchestration. Still,at least he didn't get the Plovdiv!!!
Meanwhile,in Denmark,Langgaard seems to have benefited from being seriously wierd! Would the Danish be doing so much for him if he had been a regular guy? I can't help wondering?! Or maybe,they feel a bit guilty because underneath all the wierdness and self destructive bitterness,Langgaard was a talented composer and an intelligent human being with feelings. All those years of isolation must been a living hell? I shudder to think what he went through.......even if he did bring some of it on himself! What would he have thought,in this day and age,when he could pick up and play more than one recording of his symphonies on his cd player,or Antikrist on his dvd player? And Carl Nielsen still 'up there' as Denmark's greatest composer!! :( ;D

Meanwhile Bantock's music (albeit,not all of it) is available in state of the art recordings by one of our greatest conductors on,arguably,Britains leading classical small label!
But wait a minute.........judging by allot of posts I have seen on various forums over the years,allot of people prefer the earlier interpretations of Bryden Thomson,not to mention most,if not all,the earlier Lyrita recordings.....and let's not forget the classic Barbirolli third,let alone the highly rated,by some,and sadly unavailable recording by Edward Downes!!
According to the Thomson camp,Handley's recordings of Bax are too hard driven. Thomson allows his music to breathe,allowing us to savour the atmosphere and colour of Bax's rich,brazenly romantic orchestration in a way that Handley doesn't! I'm with the Thomson camp on this one myself;but thinking about this I can't help contemplating an all too obvious thought that has popped up in my own head? If I don't like Handley's Bax how do I know I really like his Bantock?!! Maybe Handley's Bantock is too hard driven?! Unfortunately,unlike Bax,I don't really have any real comparisons. On the other hand,unlike Tournemire or Glass,I feel reasonably sure that,even if I have some reservations about this or that,I am,without doubt,in the hands of a truly first class conductor,with a roster of highly praised and respected recordings. Even if I don't like the way he conducts some of my favourite Bax symphonies I don't feel he's done anything wrong;it's just his interpretation of these scores. In fact,I can fully understand what Handley is trying to do. The problem for me is that,to me,Bax is a wallow,he isn't Sibelius. I don't need someone to convince me that Bax is a major symphonist. I don't need someone to drive me relentlessly forward. To me Bax is a dreamer,a brazen romantic who loved legends and wild landscapes and even if he takes his time occasionally,there is an inexorable flow and logic there somewhere which grabs hold of me and carries me to the finish. I don't need a Vernon Handley to grab hold of my metaphorical hand and drag me there!!

Anyway,I'm getting out of my depth here. I'm a listener not a musician,after all! But look at the symphonies of Malcolm Arnold. Who would have thought,back in the 1980s that there would be more than one cycle to choose from! Have we gained anything from more than one interpretation of these not exactly core repertoire symphonies? Well,judging by some of the wildly differing approaches to just No's 4 & 5, I think so! Yes,Expi does have a point here! And yes.........I would like another Beethoven symphony cycle too..........if I can find the dough!!! ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2014, 03:20:12 am »

I agree! It's just finding the spare cash! Mind you,if you really love a composer!! ;D
In a perfect world there would be multiple versions of Bantock's pagan symphony or,let me see,if you like his music,Brian's third. The Gothic is a bit too OTT for me,but I find that one fascinating! The Hyperion third is boxy and dull. The Pope recording,in our archive,brings this wildly eccentric score to life. Yet,the Hyperion recording is the one most people will hear! As to the Marco Polo No 2? Words fail me! The Mackerras recording in our archive shows how this uneven,but in my opinion absorbing score,should be done. However,the Marco Polo/Naxos reissue is the one most people will hear!!
And then there is Louis Glass? He got the Plovdiv! They sound like an old wind up gramophone cranking up and the sound is abysmal. I don't know why they even bothered? I quite like No's 3 & 5 and would like to hear a really good performance in state of the art sound. No 4 sounds like Glass bit off a bit more than he could chew,but it's sheer ambition intrigues me and until I can hear a decent performance I'm going to give Louis Glass the benefit of the doubt!
Tournemire is on a different level of inspiration imho,and I would love to hear other recordings of No's 3,5,6 & 8;let alone a decent recording of No 4,which has some truly magical orchestration. Still,at least he didn't get the Plovdiv!!!
Meanwhile,in Denmark,Langgaard seems to have benefited from being seriously wierd! Would the Danish be doing so much for him if he had been a regular guy? I can't help wondering?! Or maybe,they feel a bit guilty because underneath all the wierdness and self destructive bitterness,Langgaard was a talented composer and an intelligent human being with feelings. All those years of isolation must been a living hell? I shudder to think what he went through.......even if he did bring some of it on himself! What would he have thought,in this day and age,when he could pick up and play more than one recording of his symphonies on his cd player,or Antikrist on his dvd player? And Carl Nielsen still 'up there' as Denmark's greatest composer!! :( ;D

Meanwhile Bantock's music (albeit,not all of it) is available in state of the art recordings by one of our greatest conductors on,arguably,Britains leading classical small label!
But wait a minute.........judging by allot of posts I have seen on various forums over the years,allot of people prefer the earlier interpretations of Bryden Thomson,not to mention most,if not all,the earlier Lyrita recordings.....and let's not forget the classic Barbirolli third,let alone the highly rated,by some,and sadly unavailable recording by Edward Downes!!
According to the Thomson camp,Handley's recordings of Bax are too hard driven. Thomson allows his music to breathe,allowing us to savour the atmosphere and colour of Bax's rich,brazenly romantic orchestration in a way that Handley doesn't! I'm with the Thomson camp on this one myself;but thinking about this I can't help contemplating an all too obvious thought that has popped up in my own head? If I don't like Handley's Bax how do I know I really like his Bantock?!! Maybe Handley's Bantock is too hard driven?! Unfortunately,unlike Bax,I don't really have any real comparisons. On the other hand,unlike Tournemire or Glass,I feel reasonably sure that,even if I have some reservations about this or that,I am,without doubt,in the hands of a truly first class conductor,with a roster of highly praised and respected recordings. Even if I don't like the way he conducts some of my favourite Bax symphonies I don't feel he's done anything wrong;it's just his interpretation of these scores. In fact,I can fully understand what Handley is trying to do. The problem for me is that,to me,Bax is a wallow,he isn't Sibelius. I don't need someone to convince me that Bax is a major symphonist. I don't need someone to drive me relentlessly forward. To me Bax is a dreamer,a brazen romantic who loved legends and wild landscapes and even if he takes his time occasionally,there is an inexorable flow and logic there somewhere which grabs hold of me and carries me to the finish. I don't need a Vernon Handley to grab hold of my metaphorical hand and drag me there!!

Anyway,I'm getting out of my depth here. I'm a listener not a musician,after all! But look at the symphonies of Malcolm Arnold. Who would have thought,back in the 1980s that there would be more than one cycle to choose from! Have we gained anything from more than one interpretation of these not exactly core repertoire symphonies? Well,judging by some of the wildly differing approaches to just No's 4 & 5, I think so! Yes,Expi does have a point here! And yes.........I would like another Beethoven symphony cycle too..........if I can find the dough!!! ::) ;D

I too, am not wealthy and generally I have waited for Naxos and other budget labels to produce some affordable symphonic cycles. Patience has paid great dividends for so many composers including Sibelius,Shostakovich, Prokofiev,Malipiero, Moyzes, Alwyn, Arnold, Bax and so many others. (I was waiting for Miaskovsky but  devoured the Svetlanov-Warner cycle as soon as it was available because it was worth the extra money and Mia is my favorite composer.
I also bought the Previn cycle for Vaughan Williams and found some of the symphonies a bit bland and uninspired in execution, but I am more demanding of nuance and timbre with VWms, also a favorite. So I bought others.
As far as quality, I critics say there are better versions available for Sibelius,Prokofiev,Shostakovitch,Bruckner,Bax,Arnold and others, but I would rather support the budget, as I welcome their continued efforts to make this fine music affordable to the now endangered US middle class.
The music is quite servicable and in the case of Alwyn, Bax and Arnold, I am not at all convinced there are any better renderings of the symphonies, and there are no parallels to many of the Marco Polo, eg..Lyatoshinsky, Moyzes and Malipiero (unjustly savaged by malevolent critics). And of course there are the free downloadables for symphony share, unsung composers, concert archives and of course A&M. And I found the most compelling version of Shostakovitch no 10 on utube (of all places) which I recorded live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzFruQCofM&list=RDXKXQzs6Y5BY

so you never know for sure without trying.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2014, 05:47:18 am »

I am presuming that these last two posts were intended for the "Some new stuff to come" thread.........since cilgwyn's opening remarks about Bantock follow on naturally from the discussion about that composer there (and because I know of no plans from CPO to record any Bantock ;D).
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 02:51:13 pm »

My apologies. I might see if I can move it  later (it took so long to type! :(). The only 'forthcoming' composer release along those lines from Cpo,as far as I know,is the Josef Holbrooke Volume 2,which was supposed to come out a long,long time ago,but keeps getting delayed and,it has to be said,the two or three members of the unofficial Holbrooke society ;D are seriously beginning to wonder if it will ever happen?!! :( I know the symphony has been dropped because it sounded too much like.......Havergal Brian!!!!!!! ??? :o And I seem to have read that the conductor had some kind of accident! A broken arm,or something? Which could be a problem;unless he can use his other arm,or maybe conduct with his foot?!! It's a cd after all,so we wouldn't be able to see him making a fool of himself!! ;D
I am wondering if this is going to stay in the can,along with the Dopper No 1?!!!

Sometimes I feel waiting for a Cpo release is like watching a Pterodactyl hatching an egg!! ::)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 03:09:12 pm »

Although I must admit to now being (officially at least) elderly I cannot say that I have ever had the experience of watching a pterodactyl hatching an egg ;D
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2016, 10:01:21 am »

Well, the Reznicek project seems to carry on with this release:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/emil-nikolaus-von-reznicek-violinkonzert-nr-2/hnum/7136658
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:10 pm »

The Roentgen cycle continues: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/julius-roentgen-symphonien-vol-2/hnum/2727217
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 02:17:07 pm »

I sincerely hope that Josef Holbrooke can be classed as an "ongoing project"! With two excellent discs so far and Symphony No.3, Ships/ Variations on The Girl I Left Behind Me/ The Birds of Rhiannon up for release next. The goal would now be to obtain first-class recordings of Queen Mab, The Bells, Byron and Apollo and the Seaman...

::)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 02:42:26 pm »

Yes,please! :) And I would like another volume in the Cpo Louis Glass series. The first and only recording (Sept 1-4,2009,released 2014) so far does have "Complete Symphonies Vol 1" printed on the back,after all. This performance and the recording quality itself,was a vast improvement on the Plovdiv release. I quite liked the third in that performance;but it comes across as a delightful piece in the Cpo recording.Not a masterpiece (but see Albion's post about Knicker elastic! ;D) but when I listen it provides pleasure. It also has an interesting "fill-up" in the near half hour Summer Life (Sommerliv) Suite for Orchestra,which is arguably even better. Of the other symphonies Cpo obviously need to record the Fifth;but while I was unsure about the musical virtues of the others (albeit the Plovdiv performances were so dire,I decided to defer judgement) I did find some of them sufficiently interesting to want to hear them in really good performances and with sound quality you would expect in this day and age (or even from the best studios in the late fifties!!!). That cramped,boxy sound was awful! With symphonies like these you need lush strings and gloriously romantic horns and the sound quality to go with it. Fortunately,the Staatsorchester Rheinische Philharmonie under Daniel Raiskin are well up to Cpo's usual fine standards. More please!
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 06:23:21 pm »

A shame we shall probably not see any further Klenau symphonies from Dacapo :(

Any particular reason for that, and what's missing?

I do not KNOW that Dacapo does not intend to record more von Klenau but it is some years now since we got his First, Fifth and Seventh Symphonies. I would love to hear the Second, the choral Third, the "Dante-Symphonie"(No.4), the "Nordische Symphonie"(No.6) and the more recently discovered Nos. 8 and the choral No.9.     I just posted the sym no 9.   Yes I hope there will be more of Klenau recorded, now that new manuscripts have been discovered.

It does not, I suspect, help that von Klenau seems to have identified himself more latterly as a Dane living and working in Germany in the 1930s. As sn active proponent of the music of composers like Ravel, Scriabin, Delius, Debussy, Schoenberg, Berg etc. his music is, at least, interesting, and at best much more than that.
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2017, 09:30:13 am »

I don't know if this is an 'ongoing' project but this is a second release https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/paul-ben-haim-symphonie-nr-2/hnum/4900253 out end of march (2017).
Symphony no.1 was released many years ago on the same label.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 42

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2017, 08:27:24 pm »

Good news about the Ben Haim S2, I think it is much better than S1, and up to now the only recording has had the coughing in the slow movement followed by "cover your mouth!".

:o
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2017, 07:50:43 am »

Good news about the Ben Haim S2, I think it is much better than S1, and up to now the only recording has had the coughing in the slow movement followed by "cover your mouth!".

:o

;D  There used to be another recording, released somewhere in the 1980s, by Kenneth Alwyn conducting the RPhO - but it's long gone and I never heard it. Or perhaps I heard it, because I privately recorded a performance at the radio around 1980 and that's how I came to know the piece.

Yes, am sure now that I hired and played the LP too:

Very happy to see a new recording of this really fine symphony! One of the most impressive from the 1940s IMHO.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2017, 05:59:33 pm »

Last volume in a series of 4 announced for the end of april https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/hendrik-andriessen-symphonien-vol-4/hnum/3126644
At last 1: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/siegmund-von-hausegger-aufklaenge/hnum/3097605
At last 2: https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/hans-pfitzner-die-rose-vom-liebesgarten/hnum/3067331
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: