The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:05:05 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12265 times)
kyjo
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 08:03:26 pm »

Neschling has ceded the Sao Paulo Symphony Orchestra to Marin Alsop.

That's rather unfortunate news! Neschling is such a better conductor than Alsop and I seriously doubt that Alsop will record any Brazilian music :( :(

I was going to say that Cpo had not recorded August Enna's first symphony when I realized it is lost :(

What about Gerhard Schjelderup's Little Symphony? Cpo recorded his second (a wonderful late-romantic piece) and the first was lost but reconstructed as the aforementioned Little Symphony.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »

Going back a bit earlier in time to the early Romantic era, Cpo recorded the second, fourth, fifth, and seventh symphonies of the very fine Czech composer Johan Wenzel Kalliwoda (1801-1868). They have not yet recorded his first, third (on MD&G), or sixth (on Orfeo and Centaur) symphonies.

Also another Czech, Erwin Schulhoff. Cpo recorded his first, second and third symphonies but not the fourth, fifth, sixth, the Landschaften Symphony or the Symphonia Germania. The fourth and sixth have been recorded on a now very hard-to-find Supraphon CD, the fifth has been recorded on Capriccio, Koch Schwann, and Supraphon, the Landschaften has been recorded on Orfeo and the Germanica has been recorded on Channel Classics. Still, it would be very nice to see Cpo complete Schulhoff's symphonic cycle.

Cpo made a rare voyage onto American soil with their release of Gordon Sherwood's (b. 1929) Symphony no. 1, Sinfonietta and PC. It is enjoyable, tonal music in the Gershwin/Copland/Barber tradition but is nothing earth-shattering. He also wrote a Symphony no. 2 Classical Symphonie and a Blues Symphony for six saxophones and orchestra.

Cpo recorded all of the five numbered symphonies of the wonderful Turkish composer Ahmed Adnan Saygun. However, there still remains an unnumbered early Symphony from 1926 which I'd really like to hear.

Although way out of my comfort zone, the first, second, fourth, and seventh symphonies of Gloria Coates were recorded by Cpo out of fifteen total as well as a Sinfonietta and a Sinfonia Brevis.

:)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:46:47 pm »

Oh, how could I forget about Felix Woyrsch! Cpo recently recorded his second symphony, but there still remains the first, third through sixth, and an early Study Symphony for them to record. The first was recorded by MD&G, but that disc has now been long out of print.

Cpo recorded the first symphony of the very fine Israeli composer Paul Ben-Haim, but not his second (it has been recorded by Stradivari Classics).

Cpo recorded the second symphony of the late-romantic Danish composer Ludolf Nielsen, but not the first and third. Fortunately, these two pieces (the third is a masterpiece IMO) have been recorded by Dacapo.

They recorded the third symphony of the German romantic August Klughardt, but not the first (recorded by Sterling), second, fourth, fifth, and the withdrawn Waldleben Symphony.

They have recorded the Sinfonia breve of German late-romantic Paul Graener, but not the Symphony in D minor Schmied Scherz, the Sinfonietta for strings and harp, or the Weiner-Symphonie (recorded by Sterling). The disc containing the Sinfonia breve is titled Paul Graener: Orchestral Works, Volume 1, so we can hope for more ;D

:)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »

You are-of course-quite correct :)

Since the Schulhoff Symphony Nos. 1-3 were recorded almost 20 years ago now I think we may conclude that cpo have actually lost interest......but you never know ;D
The same, possibly, applies to the Ludolf Nielsen.

The Felix Woyrsch and the Paul Graener are more realistic propositions :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 10:07:26 pm »

You are correct, Colin! It isn't really that disappointing if Cpo has lost interest in Schulhoff and Nielsen because Schulhoff's later symphonies have all been recorded (and are not very inspired works, I might add) and Nielsen's other two symphonies have already been recorded in excellent performances by Dacapo :)

Cpo is planning to release Volume 4 in their series of the orchestral works of the French romantic Louis Theodore Gouvy (1819-1898) which will include his Symphony no. 4, Symphonie breve, and Fantasie Symphonique: http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/Louis-Theodore-Gouvy-1819-1898-Symphonien-Vol-4/hnum/4101963

...so that leaves only his Symphony no. 7 and the Sinfonietta, op. 80 unrecorded :)
Report Spam   Logged
erato
Level 2

Times thanked: 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 02:49:15 pm »

Meanwhile, I am pretty sure we can be optimist in case of Weinberg. Naxos already released two discs of their series so far, and Chandos seem to continue their work in a slow but constant pace (= about one disc per year).
No 8 is secheduled for Naxos release on the 14th February with Wit and polish forces.
Report Spam   Logged
Holger
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2012, 03:41:19 pm »

Meanwhile, I am pretty sure we can be optimist in case of Weinberg. Naxos already released two discs of their series so far, and Chandos seem to continue their work in a slow but constant pace (= about one disc per year).
No 8 is secheduled for Naxos release on the 14th February with Wit and polish forces.

Great news, especially since this is a symphony which wasn't issued commercially before (though I have a broadcast recording of it)! A disc I will buy at once when it's available.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

Yes!  And so will I!
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2012, 04:26:54 pm »

Indeed, that is great news! Thanks, erato :)

Weinberg would be proud :)
Report Spam   Logged
gpdlt2000
Level 2

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2014, 01:40:02 pm »

Forthcomong Larsson on cpo

Lars-Erik Larsson (1908-1986)
Orchestral Works Vol. 1:
Symphony No. 1 in D op. 2;
Four Vignettes to Shakespeare’s
The Winter’s Tale;
Music for Orchestra op. 40;
Pastoral for small orchestra;
Lyric Fantasy for small orchestra op. 54
Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra
Andrew Manze
cpo 777 671-2; UPC Code: 761203767120

A Master of Classical Modernism
Rangström, Wirén, Pettersson, Atterberg, Peterson-Berger: these names
represent high points in Swedish music history and have found a
discographic home on cpo. Today I would like to add another important name
to this Swedish Olympus of composers: Lars-Erik Larsson. Along with Dag
Wirén, Larsson currently continues to number among the most popular
composers of classical modernism in Sweden. Their popularity of course is
explained in part by the fact that both continued to abide by the tradition
of tonality without being epigonic reactionaries. Andrew Manze, to whom cpo
owes a wonderfully inspired edition of the Brahms symphonies, is now
presenting a new recording with Larsson’s most important symphonic works as
performed by his very own Helsingborg Orchestra. One of Larsson’s three
symphonies forms the focus of each of the three CDs. And now, to begin, the
first symphony. Brimming with natural freshness and youthful new
beginnings, it reflects Larsson’s enthusiasm for the first two symphonies
of Sibelius and in melodic respects, especially in its last two movements,
is also guided by Carl Nielsen. Even in this early work Larsson displays
mastery commanding respect.
Report Spam   Logged
guest377
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 03:38:58 pm »

I too have not been impressed lately with BIS serving of new releases... the standard fare... Mozart, Beethoven, etc...
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 05:24:40 pm »

Cpo seem to be one of the few labels offering up any surprises these days! I'm not particularly 'into' Panufnik,but the recent full page ad for Panufnik in IRR Magazine (March edition,page 13) reminded me of the 'good old days'! A real blast from the past and all those 'pretty' Panufnik cds were very tempting indeed! Great stuff!! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2014, 09:33:53 pm »

The Lars-Erik Larsson symphonies are not new to cd. BIS issued recordings in the early days of the company's existence-indeed with the same Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra.
It will be good however to get several of Larsson's other orchestral music onto disc..

As far as Swedish symphonists's complete cycles are concerned the current situation regarding relatively modern recordings is:

Hugo Alfven:    BIS and Naxos
Kurt Atterberg: CPO and Chandos (in progress)
Natanael Berg: CPO (in progress)
Karl-Birger Blomdahl: BIS
Edvin Kallstenius:     CPO (planned)
Lars-Erik Larsson: BIS and CPO (commencing)
Gosta Nystroem: BIS
Wilhelm Peterson-Berger: CPO
Allan Pettersson: CPO and BIS (in progress)
Ture Rangstrom: CPO
Dag Wiren: CPO

Missing, of course, from this list are Hilding Rosenberg, John Fernstrom, Erland von Koch and Hans Eklund.....who all merit complete symphonic cycles.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2014, 09:22:15 pm »

Definitely John Fernstrom! I corresponded with his son about the dearth of recordings available and he, also would love to see something big for his father, but can't do it himself. If you don't know him, maybe try YouTube. Jim
Report Spam   Logged
chill319
Level 3

Times thanked: 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2014, 11:31:33 pm »

I _do_ hope they will record Larsson's symphony 3. That is the one that most needs a recording from a larger, or stronger, ensemble.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: