The Art-Music Forum
June 27, 2017, 04:40:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare (non-copyright) recordings, and discuss all the Arts in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight. To participate, simply log in or register.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 2605 times)
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 10:35:08 am »

And some releases for late May 2017:
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/felix-nowowiejski-quo-vadis/hnum/6096050
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/eduard-kuenneke-klavierkonzert-nr-1/hnum/8455684
https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/cpo/detail/-/art/leo-fall-bruederlein-fein/hnum/4111659
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 81

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2017, 11:07:32 pm »

This thread was begun in December 2012. Over the intervening four and a half years CPO have made some progress with the projects they had in hand or had announced back then.  The recent release of the Hendrik Andriessen Symphony No.4 will complete their survey of that Dutch composer's symphonies.

But as is its custom the company moves at a very "gradual" pace through its backlog of recordings.

In alphabetical order:

Eight of the fifteen symphonies by Henk Badings (Netherlands, 1907-87) have been released: Nos. 2, 7 and 12 were recorded in November 2006 by the Janacek Philharmonic Orchestra, Ostrava under David Porcelijn and released two years later in 2008; Nos. 3, 10 and 14 were recorded by the same forces in August 2008 and again released two years later in 2010. Then, when I certainly had despaired of any further recordings, Nos. 4 and 5 were released in 2015 in performances conducted by Porcelijn but recorded this time with the Bochum Symphony Orchestra. The Bochum recordings were made in August 2012. (Of the symphonies unrecorded by CPO most are short or very short and Nos. 8, 9, 11, 13 and 15 with a combined running time of 69 minutes could all fit onto one disc).

CPO issued the first three of Natanael Berg's (Sweden; 1879-1957) five sypmhonies: No.3 was recorded in May/June 2006 with the Norrkoping Symphony Orchestra under Ari Rasilainen, Nos. 1 and 2 in February 2007 with Rasilainen conducting the Deutsche State Philharmonic Orchestra, Rheinland Pfalz. The first two symphonies were issued in 2009 and No.3 in 2011.

Many were at least intrigued by the projected complete set of the eight symphonies of Johann Nepomuk David (Austria; 1895-1977). The first of the planned four discs with Nos. 1 and 6 recorded in February-March 2011 by the Vienna Radio Symphony Orchestra under Johanne Wildner appeared in 2014. We were told that the same orchestra and conductor had recorded Nos. 2 and 4 and Nos. 3 and 7 and that these two discs would soon follow the first. This had not happened although at least one of these couplings has actually been recorded for CPO.

With a considerable welcome CPO issued the first of a promised cycle of the six symphonies of Louis Glass (Denmark; 1864-1936). No.3 was recorded by the Rhein State Philharmonic Orchestra under Daniel Raiskin in September 2009 but five years passed before the recording went on sale in 2014 and there has not yet been a second release.

Edvin Kallstenius (Sweden; 1881-1967)
wrote five symphonies. The Symphony No.1 was recorded by the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra under Frank Beermann as far back as October 2007 before surfacing finally in 2014. Again there has been no second disc yet in this cycle.

Lars-Erik Larsson (Sweden; 1908-86) has been a little more fortunate. Andrew Manze recorded all three symphonies in 2011 with the Helsingborg Symphony Orchestra. No.2 was issued in 2014 and No.2 in 2015. We have a good deal of information about the third disc, including the orchestral couplings, but not when it will be released.

The company has a big job on its hands if it really intends to issue all of the symphonies of Julius Rontgen (Netherlands, 1855-1932).[/b] By my calculations there are still eleven symphonies to be recorded (Nos. 7, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16, 17, 20, 22, 23 and 24). The company is using David Porcelijn-as they have for the recordings of van Gilse, Andriessen and Badings-but I see that the recently released cd with the Symphonies Nos. 9 and 21 with the Brandenburg State Orchestra was recorded as long ago as November-December 2005!!

Rudolph Simonsen (Denmark; 1889-1947)
wrote four symphonies and CPO issued Nos. 1 and 2 in 2009  in recordings made by the South Jutland Symphony Orchestra under Israel Yinon in August and September 2006. Though of us impressed by these symphonies had hoped for the other two but so far without success.

And finally, Joseph Holbrooke(United Kingdom; 1878-1958). CPO have issued two cds of Holbrooke's music both conducted by Howard Griffiths with the Brandenburg State Orchestra. The first disc was recorded in August 2008 and released the following year. The second disc, with the Violin Concerto, was recorded in January 2013 and February 2014 and issued in 2016. This "rush" to get the Holbrooke out to their customers is atypical of CPO, although, to be fair, the release of each of the Panufnik symphonies in their cycle of the Polish composer's music was more remarkable. The Panufnik series runs to eight discs and CPO got them out at the rate of two a year between 2010 and 2014. Nor had these performances conducted by Lukasz Borowicz sat for long on the shelves. If CPO could get the Panufnik out so promptly and efficiently.............
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 5

Times thanked: 9

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2017, 02:24:48 pm »

They know us Holbrookeians just can't wait!! Grin Let's hope this bodes well for a Volume 4!
Five years for more Louis Glass. I can't take any more!!! Roll Eyes Grin And their recording of the third symphony and the suite was so good. It really was a minor revelation after the Plovdiv! Not earth shattering,but it made you want to hear what they could do with the rest (or me,anyway!). Sad Sad Sad Have Cpo suddenly lost faith?!! If it was up to me I'd record No 4 next (we know No 5 is good,already).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2017, 02:38:49 pm »

It seems clear from the analysis that, with the clear exception of the Panufnik discs, CPO's policy is to record music and then set the recordings aside for anything between a minimum of three years but often longer before releasing the cd. Why this should be is a bit of a mystery. I can only guess that they have a huge backlog which they work through gradually. This is however frustrating for those of us who wait with varying degrees of impatience for the promised releases. Impatience is a reflection of temperament (and I am certainly impatient by nature Grin) but it also reflects the fact that some of us have less time than others and the idea of sitting patiently for around five years for the next instalment of a cycle carries certain risks Sad
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2017, 02:49:30 pm »

Yes that seems to be the case..... it may take 20+ years for some of these cycles to complete...after 25 years it won't matter.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2017, 05:46:33 pm »

Yes that seems to be the case..... it may take 20+ years for some of these cycles to complete...after 25 years it won't matter.
It makes you feel allot better about it,doesn't it Dundonnell!! Sad Grin
Report Spam   Logged
dhibbard
Level 7

Times thanked: 28

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2017, 06:05:23 pm »

by then I'll be hard of hearing, drinking from a tube (teeth gone) in a nursing home in a diaper!
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 3

Times thanked: 8

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2017, 07:33:57 pm »

They know us Holbrookeians just can't wait!! Grin Let's hope this bodes well for a Volume 4!
Well, Vol. 3 has been recorded - we know that: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me"; Birds of Rhiannon. Hope it is released soon. Nothing positive on Vol. 4 yet (if there is to be one) - but there is talk about a faint possibility of "Queen Mab" and "The Bells". I shall, of course, keep everyone abreast of developments (as far as I am permitted to do so).
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2017, 08:22:52 pm »

Well, Vol. 3 has been recorded - we know that: Symphony No. 3 "Ships"; Variations on "The Girl I Left Behind Me"; Birds of Rhiannon. Hope it is released soon. Nothing positive on Vol. 4 yet (if there is to be one) - but there is talk about a faint possibility of "Queen Mab" and "The Bells". I shall, of course, keep everyone abreast of developments (as far as I am permitted to do so).

Thanks, Gareth Smiley It may be that pressure from the conductor (in this case Howard Griffiths) may speed along CPO's release dates. In the past they have blamed their cd booklet authors and/or translators for delays.

Indeed-in reference to the "20 years" Grin I am afraid that I cannot wait that long!!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 25

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2017, 09:49:49 pm »

Instead of making overviews of music that's not on cd, I listen to music. I'm grateful there're guys like Schmilgun, von Bahr, Couzens who take risks with unknown repertoire. I'm sure there's so much music I won't get to known before passing out.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2017, 11:01:04 pm »

Instead of making overviews of music that's not on cd, I listen to music. I'm grateful there're guys like Schmilgun, von Bahr, Couzens who take risks with unknown repertoire. I'm sure there's so much music I won't get to known before passing out.

Your response suggests that this is an "either or" situation and implies that I (and others who feel the same way) are not grateful to CPO and its indefatigable repertoire boss, Burkhard Schmilgun.

In relation to gratitude such an implication could not be further from the truth. My admiration for CPO and its wonderful work over the years in bringing so much unrecorded repertoire to its customers remains boundless. I am a regular purchaser of CPO cds and intend to continue to be so.

The purpose of my post was to make myself and others who might be interested aware of the current state of play in regard to ongoing CPO projects; projects which the company itself has advertised. In doing the necessary research I discovered that it does take the company a number of years to get its recordings onto cd and out to its customers. THere may be perfectly valid reasons for this. Some of us do however find this rather frustrating. We can and we do hugely appreciate what we get from the company but that does not debar us from expressing our hopes that the remaining issues in an advertised series will not be too long delayed. If that is considered to be criticism then it is only a reflection of our enthusiasm as loyal (and grateful) customers for the repertoire which CPO records and our hope that we shall not have to wait too long to hear more of it.
Report Spam   Logged
calyptorhynchus
Level 3

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2017, 09:14:01 am »

In the past they have blamed their cd booklet authors and/or translators for delays.

If it's taking up to 20 years then there'd be time enough to teach a CPO employee a new language and get them to translate it.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 20

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 02, 2017, 10:07:52 am »

In the past they have blamed their cd booklet authors and/or translators for delays.

If it's taking up to 20 years then there'd be time enough to teach a CPO employee a new language and get them to translate it.

Grin

In the meantime, he or she could even learn to compose and perform the piece him/herself. Spares time and money too.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2017, 12:27:11 pm »

Co-incidentally three new CPO discs have just popped through my letter-box: Hendrik Andriessen's Symphony No.4, Paul Ben-Haim's Symphony No.2 and three orchestral pieces by Siegmund von Hausegger. 

I welcome these new releases with warm appreciation and thanks Smiley I also note that the Ben-Haim was recorded in 2010 (seven years ago). If we have to wait for seven years for the newly recorded Holbrooke symphony I shall be very disappointed-if I am still around to be disappointed Wink

The proposition that I should listen again and again.........to Johann Nepomuk David's two released symphonies and not express the hope that I can reasonably soon expect to hear his other symphonies from CPO (two at least have already been recorded a year or two ago) is unreasonable and unrealistic. Friends-and I do consider myself a "friend" of CPO are entitled to raise an issue. If that is a "criticism" of the company then so be it but I remain a passionate admirer of its fantastic enterprise.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2017, 12:41:26 pm »

And I am astounded,judging by all your posts over the years,both here and at the GMG Forum,that anyone would think otherwise!! Huh Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: