The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:41:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ongoing CPO projects.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ongoing CPO projects.  (Read 12289 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2017, 06:25:39 pm »

Yep, the situation around the Dutch composers Röntgen and Badings is puzzling. An interview with conductor David Porcelijn, from september 2015, in Opus Klassiek https://www.opusklassiek.nl/interviews/porcelijn_interview.htm states (I translated some of the Dutch into English, probably with some mistakes):

Wat staat er verder bij CPO op stapel?
'Van Hendrik Andriessen komt nog de Vierde symfonie uit, de laatste opname uit Enschede. Dat zal waarschijnlijk ook de laatste blijven. Er komen nog drie cd's met symfonieën van Röntgen, die al zijn opgenomen in Helsingborg en Frankfurt an der Oder. Van Badings heb ik in Bochum de Vierde en Vijfde symfonie vastgelegd. De Achtste en Negende moeten nog worden opgenomen. Badings is een van de belangrijkste Nederlandse componisten, met een nog persoonlijker geluid dan Van Gilse. Van Cornelis Dopper zijn enkele symfonieën nooit opgenomen. Ik heb ze voorgesteld aan het Noord Nederlands Orkest, omdat Dopper uit Stadskanaal - hun regio - komt, maar ze willen niet. Onbegrijpelijk! Die symfonieën komen op cd, maar we zullen het waarschijnlijk met een Duits orkest moeten doen.'

What will CPO release in the near future?
Andriessen's symphony nr.4, done in Enschede (released). [...] Three more CD's with Röntgen symphonies, already recorded in Helsingborg and Frankfurt Oder, will follow. I did Badings nrs. 4 & 5 (released) in Bochum. Nr. 8 & 9 are still to be recorded. [...] Some symphonies by Cornelis Dopper have never been recorded. I suggested cpo to record them with the North Netherlands orchestra, that's because Dopper lived in Stadskanaal (Groningen) but they declined. I don't get that. Those symphonies will be recorded but I think we've to record them with German orchestras.

Although there was mention of recording the three symphonies of Willem Pijper with Porcelijn and the Enschede orchestra - which could be done on 1 CD - I've never heard anything more about that project.

Thanks for this!

The Henk Badings Symphonies Nos. 8 and 9 are 18 and 19 minutes long respectively so a lot more could be put onto that cd!!  No. 11, for example, is a mere 7 minutes long. (Incidentally, No.9 is already on a Polymnie cd.)

As you say, the three Pijper symphonies would comfortably make it onto a single cd.

As for Cornelis Dopper (who one might think would be very much to the taste of those at CPO), the thinking may be that Chandos recorded the Second, Third and Sixth Symphonies and there are a couple of cd recordings of the Seventh.  Of the other three I seem to vaguely recall that there were some doubts about whether one of them was still in existence in full score (the big choral Symphony No.5 "Sinfonia epica" ?? - which would be very expensive to record even if it does still exist).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: