The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:16:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Croatian Rarities from the Croatian Radio and Television SO

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Croatian Rarities from the Croatian Radio and Television SO  (Read 355 times)
kyjo
« on: December 19, 2012, 12:58:29 am »

Just noticed this upcoming release (now available as an mp3 download, will not be available on CD until the end of February) from Orfej featuring the Croatian Radio and Television SO performing rarities by Croatian composers as well as some Dvorak and Brahms thrown in for good measure. Here are the contents of this two-disc set:

Disc 1:
-Kresimir Baranovic (1894-1975): Wheel Dance from the ballet Gingerbread Heart: 8 min.
-Bruno Bjelinski (1909-1992): Concerto no. 1 for cello, strings and percussion: 35 min.
-Blagoje Bersa (1873-1934): Finale from Symphony in C minor New Life, op. 25: 5 min.
-Natko Devcic (1914-1997): Istrian Suite: 17 min.
-Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904): Slavonic Dances 8 and 10: 12 min.

Disc 2:
-Milo Cipra (1906-1985): The Sun's Way: 15 min.
-Slavko Zlatik: The Lump of Motovun for chorus and orchestra: 17 min.
-Johannes Brahms (1833-1897): Piano Concerto no. 1 in D minor: 44 min.

Pretty interesting stuff, eh? Bruno Bjelinski is a highly interesting figure who composed, among much else, fifteen symphonies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Bjelinski His first cello concerto should be interesting to hear :)

We have the beautiful tone poem The Sunny Fields by late-romantic composer Blagoje Bersa in our downloads. He was primarily an opera composer-I hadn't known he had written a symphony! Too bad were are only given five minutes of it :(.

...and then there's Dvorak and Brahms, whose PC 1 takes up more than half of disc 2 ::)

...but I shouldn't complain! The music of Croatia (and other Balkan) countries doesn't get nearly enough exposure, so I'll be looking forward to this (I'll probably be waiting until the CD version comes out) :)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »

Oh, I forgot to provide a link ::)-here it is: http://www.amazon.com/Croatian-Radio-Television-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B00AOY6W3G/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355947050&sr=1-1&keywords=croatian+radio+and+television+orchestra

There's also this mp3 album of rare Croatian music with the same orchestra: http://www.amazon.com/8-decades-1930-2010/dp/B008QBHX7I/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1355947136&sr=1-3&keywords=croatian+radio+and+television+orchestra

:)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 10:53:44 pm »

Just noticed this upcoming release (now available as an mp3 download, will not be available on CD until the end of February) from Orfej featuring the Croatian Radio and Television SO performing rarities by Croatian composers as well as some Dvorak and Brahms thrown in for good measure. Here are the contents of this two-disc set:

Disc 1:
-Kresimir Baranovic (1894-1975): Wheel Dance from the ballet Gingerbread Heart: 8 min.
-Bruno Bjelinski (1909-1992): Concerto no. 1 for cello, strings and percussion: 35 min.
-Blagoje Bersa (1873-1934): Finale from Symphony in C minor New Life, op. 25: 5 min.
-Natko Devcic (1914-1997): Istrian Suite: 17 min.
-Antonin Dvorak (1841-1904): Slavonic Dances 8 and 10: 12 min.

Disc 2:
-Milo Cipra (1906-1985): The Sun's Way: 15 min.
-Slavko Zlatik: The Lump of Motovun for chorus and orchestra: 17 min.
-Johannes Brahms (1833-1897): Piano Concerto no. 1 in D minor: 44 min.

Pretty interesting stuff, eh? Bruno Bjelinski is a highly interesting figure who composed, among much else, fifteen symphonies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Bjelinski His first cello concerto should be interesting to hear :)

We have the beautiful tone poem The Sunny Fields by late-romantic composer Blagoje Bersa in our downloads. He was primarily an opera composer-I hadn't known he had written a symphony! Too bad were are only given five minutes of it :(.

...and then there's Dvorak and Brahms, whose PC 1 takes up more than half of disc 2 ::)

...but I shouldn't complain! The music of Croatia (and other Balkan) countries doesn't get nearly enough exposure, so I'll be looking forward to this (I'll probably be waiting until the CD version comes out) :)

Dear Kyjo
It's a reissue i bought it two years ago on EBAY.Neverthless a concerning disc.Is Orfej still active?
Another croatian label:
http://www.cantus.hr/shop.php
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 11:13:20 pm »

Oh, thanks, Toby! I wasn't aware that this was a reissue. But it's slipped under my radar and probably the radar of others here, in any case.
Report Spam   Logged
shamus
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 12:45:52 am »

I bought the mp3 that Kyjo mentioned, had the devil of a time finding out composers, etc, but believe this is what they are, if anyone else bought it and noticed it had very poor descriptions, I copied the spelling I found without diacritical marks:

All played by Croatian RTVSO,
Track 1: Bersa, Blagoje, Sunny Fields, Milan Horvat
Tracks 2-5: Bjelinski, Bruno, Symphony No. 9, Vladimir Kranjicevic
Track 6: Papandopoulo, Boris, Concerto for Timpani and Orchestra, Bonnie Lynn-Adelson, timp, Kresimir Sipus
Track 7: Gotovac, Jakov, Dance of Grief and Dignity from the Mountain Dinara, Josef Daniel
Track 8: Gotovac, Jakov, Symphonic Kolo, Op. 12, Josef Daniel
Track 9: Lisinski, Vatroslav, Grande Polonaise, Pavle Despalj
Tracks 10-12: Sulek, Stjepan, Classical Concerto No. 1, Pavle Despalj
Track 13: Parac, Frano, Sarabande, Uros Lajovic
Track 14-17: Devcic, Natko, Istrian Suite, Oskar Danon
Track 18: Gotovac, Jakov, Dalmara's Aria, Branka Stilinovic, Soprano, ? conductor
Track 19: Josipovic, Ivo, Epicurean Garden, Niksa Bareza
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 12:53:53 am »

Thanks, Jim for going to all that trouble ;D! To be honest, I felt too lazy to look up the composers of the pieces on that album, as they were not listed ::). The Bjelinski symphony sounds especially interesting :)
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 11:25:49 pm »

IMHO Amazon is reissuing as CD-R old CD audio recording no longer available as they have done for Bulgarian national Radio Orchestra,i hope they will publish again Creati Simfonice Romanesti by Roumanian composers union.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kk17na8A_xsJ:rateyourmusic.com/label/uniunea_compozitorilor_si_muzicologilor_din_romania___asociata_pentru_drepturi_de_autor/+creatii+simfonice+romanesti&cd=3&hl=it&ct=clnk&gl=it

Concerning Orfej's disc most striking piece is Istrian Suite by Devcic
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: