The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:12:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Historical Russian Archives - series

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historical Russian Archives - series  (Read 697 times)
guest224
« on: December 15, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »

Does anyone have the hard copies of this series?  It features major Russian composers (Gauk, Rozhdestvensky, Svetlanov, Kremer, Barshai, Tretiakov) conducting works by both famous and unknown Russian and Soviet composers.

I am keen to see the track listings page of the hard copies: having purchased on I-Tunes a lot of the pieces from the series, including the ones by the virtually unknown composers, I have found that some of the single movement pieces have been split into two, three or more tracks.  Thus, for example, Prokofiev's Russian Overture, Op.72 comes as Part 1 (5 minutes long), Part 2 (5 minutes long) and Part 3 (under 3 minutes long), each track approx.  Anyone who knows anything about classical music knows that this is artistically nonsense.  However, the ignoramus I have been dealing with so far at Apple obviously doesn't know anything about classical music, and says they must be 3 different songs on an album called Russian Overture by a singer called Prokofiev. Hhmm thanks for that....

I am also wondering if splitting music in this way is legitimate, artistic considerations aside.

So if anyone has the hard copies I would be very interested to see if these pieces are recorded as one track or more on the discs.

If anyone is interested, the lesser known composers on the series are:

Agadzhikov, Aman-Durdy (1937-)
Amirov, Fikret (1922-1984)
Ayvazian, Artemiy Sergeevich (1902-1975)
Belimov, Sergei Alexandrovich (1950-2011)
Boiko, Rostislav Grigorievich (1931-2002)
Bunin, Revol Samoilovich (1924-1976)
Dolukhanian, Alexandr Pavlovich (1910-1968)
Ivanov-Radkevich, Nikolai Pavlovich (1904-1962)
Karayev, Kara (1918-1982)
Khachaturian, Karen Surenovich (1920-2011)
Kryukov, Vladimir (1902–1960)
Kupkovič, Ladislav Karol (1936-)  (think he's Slovak, not Russian)
Laskovky, Ivan Fyodorovich (1799-1855)
Lokshin, Alexander Lazarevich (1920-1987)
Lourié, Artur-Vincent Sergeyevich (1892-1966)
Martynov, Vladimir (1946-)
Mazaev, Arkady Nikolaevich (1909-1987)
Meerovich, Mikhail Alexandrovich (1920-1993)
Muravlev, Alexey Alexeyevich (1924-)
Pakhmutova, Aleksandra (1929-)
Parsadanian, Boris Khristoforovich (1925-1997)
Polovinkin, Leonid Alexeyevich (1894-1949)
Rääts, Jaan (1932-)
Rakov, Nikolay (1908-1990)
Shaporin, Yuri Alexandrovich (1887-1966)
Shebalin, Vissarion (1902-1963)
Solodukho, Yakov Semenovich (1911-1987)
Svetlanov, Evgeny Fyodorovich (1928-2002)
Tchaikovsky, Boris Alexandrovich (1925-1996)
Volkonsky, Prince Andrei Mikhaylovich (1933-2008)
Zaimov, Halik Shakirovich (1914-1977)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest377
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 10:10:44 pm »

well of course, Raats wasn't Russian...    just an observation.
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 10:27:03 pm »

The ignorance of those who run online music stores never ceases to infuriate!
Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:39:59 pm »

well of course, Raats wasn't Russian...    just an observation.

Nor are Agadzhikov, Amirov, Ayvazian, Boiko, Dolukhanian, Karayev, Khachaturian, Kupkovič, Parsadanian, Zaimov... although many Russians may have different ideas!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:54:24 pm »

But when the recordings were made it was still the Sovier Union. The Party regarded the Union as Russian.
That the Union was divided in several 'countries" was simply to give the several people some idea of 'home' so it would be easier to keep them together. It didn't work quite well though.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 03:52:15 am »

But when the recordings were made it was still the Sovier Union. The Party regarded the Union as Russian.
That the Union was divided in several 'countries" was simply to give the several people some idea of 'home' so it would be easier to keep them together. It didn't work quite well though.
I know nationality is an important issue for many folks whose countries have fought valiantly for independence.
Maybe this can shed some light on this convoluted subject of nationality and culture which is quite volatile.
(On a smaller scale, the UK suffers from a similar problem as Wales and Scotland are rolled into the UK even tho the cultures are unique, whereas The Czech Republic and Slovakia have more congruent cultures and are separate on the list.)

http://classical-music-online.net/stat/?type=country_persons&person_type=composer&country=RUS
http://classical-music-online.net/stat/?person_type=composer&type=country_persons&country=BLR
http://classical-music-online.net/stat/?person_type=composer&type=country_persons&country=ARM
http://classical-music-online.net/stat/?person_type=composer&type=country_persons&country=GEO
pick a country and see what gives:

Report Spam   Logged
guest224
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 10:52:24 am »

the UK suffers from a similar problem as Wales and Scotland are rolled into the UK even tho the cultures are unique, whereas The Czech Republic and Slovakia have more congruent cultures and are separate on the list.

What a total non-sequitur!  The United Kingdom is called that because that is precisely what it is! A United-Kingdom-Consisting-of-Several-Nations. Those nations are still Scots/English/Welsh etc whether or not they choose to remain in the Union.  The Czech Republic and Slovakia are two separate sovereign nation-states and have been since 1993. So I'm not sure what the point is...
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 10:18:28 am »

the UK suffers from a similar problem as Wales and Scotland are rolled into the UK even tho the cultures are unique, whereas The Czech Republic and Slovakia have more congruent cultures and are separate on the list.

What a total non-sequitur!  The United Kingdom is called that because that is precisely what it is! A United-Kingdom-Consisting-of-Several-Nations. Those nations are still Scots/English/Welsh etc whether or not they choose to remain in the Union.  The Czech Republic and Slovakia are two separate sovereign nation-states and have been since 1993. So I'm not sure what the point is...
Careful, re "total non-sequitur". I am full of it, or is it "them?".
Simply put, political boundaries are volatile and we should respect distinct cultures, even tho the home country may no longer exist as such. I certainly was not implying that the UK was supressing cultural diversity,(but of course Bax differed on that point.)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: