The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:22:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Releases from Naxos

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Releases from Naxos  (Read 1765 times)
logeny
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 12:51:14 am »

I've been longing to say that 'out loud' myself!

I've said it before but not on this forum. I mean I can't think of one performance of hers that has left any kind of impression on me other than utter disgust. Sorry to the Alsop fans out there, but the lady can't conduct.

The above only is your opinion - not fact.  I beg to dissent.  I have Alsop's Brahms 3rd and like it very much. 
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 03:22:32 am »

Yes, John, please do check out Ivanovs! I haven't heard anything by him yet that I've been less than impressed with :). Foulds is also a favorite of mine-I just wish his "Symphony of East and West" wasn't lost :(!

Will do, Kyle! :)
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 03:24:11 am »

I've been longing to say that 'out loud' myself!

I've said it before but not on this forum. I mean I can't think of one performance of hers that has left any kind of impression on me other than utter disgust. Sorry to the Alsop fans out there, but the lady can't conduct.

The above only is your opinion - not fact.  I beg to dissent.  I have Alsop's Brahms 3rd and like it very much. 

Of course it's only my opinion. What else would it be? I think she's a horrible conductor and those Brahms recordings were mediocre at best. Another case of Naxos releasing music that already exists in better performances.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2012, 03:25:04 am »

I need to check out Ivanovs. I know he's considered one of the greatest Latvian composers of all-time, right? I should have mentioned Delius in my list as he's a favorite as well. Don't really know why I left him off. Never could get into Bax or Messiaen. Foulds is an interesting composer. I enjoy those two Oramo recordings on Warner. Haven't heard A World Requiem yet. Have been meaning to listen to it.

Lots of Ivanovs is available in the downloads section of this forum -- by all means, avail yourself! My suggestion is to start with Symphonies Nos. 4 or 6, the Cello Concerto, then some of the late symphonies, etc.

Coincidentally, I just listened to Foulds' World Requiem again yesterday. I love the work and have listened to it from beginning to end on quite a few occasions (more than I can say for most large works). It's quite beautiful and very engaging. There's a bit of silliness near the beginning, where one of the soloists exhorts the peoples of the world, naming countries and regions, somewhat reminiscent of Elgar's Crown of India. But the performers carry off the work with great conviction and polish. I often wonder whether Britten heard the work in his youth, as it seems structurally somewhat of a precursor to his War Requiem (which I consider to be one of the supreme masterpieces of music).

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: