The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:15:36 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Releases from Naxos

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Releases from Naxos  (Read 1750 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 05:20:03 pm »

Well,I don't know about admire him?! ::) Like I said,when I'm in the right mood!!! The problem is the lack of variety & all that declamatory patriotism. It can be a bit much,even IF you like some of his music. It's certainly food for thought that most of the postings on the Harris thread at the GMG were taken up,not by how much anyone enjoyed his music,but by,seemingly,endless debates about whether he DID actually compose anything else as good as the third!! After a couple of pages it was like,back to square one!! Did he compose anything else as good as No 3?!!
Luckily for you MI,you don't like any of them! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 06:29:50 pm »

Well,I don't know about admire him?! ::) Like I said,when I'm in the right mood!!! The problem is the lack of variety & all that declamatory patriotism. It can be a bit much,even IF you like some of his music. It's certainly food for thought that most of the postings on the Harris thread at the GMG were taken up,not by how much anyone enjoyed his music,but by,seemingly,endless debates about whether he DID actually compose anything else as good as the third!! After a couple of pages it was like,back to square one!! Did he compose anything else as good as No 3?!!
Luckily for you MI,you don't like any of them! ;D

I admire the craft of the 3rd, but it was never a work that jolted or moved me. I would probably do well to revisit it at some point. There are a lot of composers I simply don't enjoy simply because I don't like their musical language or even the way they present their music. Like Walton, Holmboe, or Messiaen for example. I would do well to never hear another note from these composers again. I choose not to get into a debate about music I dislike. I think some people on GMG are just argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. These people would disagree with a stop sign! :)
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 07:07:00 pm »

Walton, Holmboe, or Messiaen for example. I would do well to never hear another note from these composers again.

It's always interesting to hear about others' musical dislikes. Personally, I feel my life would be forever impoverished if I were unable to hear anything by the aforementioned composers again. But, we each have our own tastes and I respect yours.

I can't say I share your aversion to Roy Harris, though I find myself rarely listening to anything of his other than the 3rd Symphony anymore. And the awfulness of the 13th Symphony defies belief, for a major composer.

I do as wll wish Naxos and other labels would finish projects once they begin them. While Creston's last works are also not on a par with his earlier output (in my opinion, at least), they're still nowhere near the depths of Harris' and are certainly worthy of a recording, especially the 6th Symphony. I think part of the problem is that Naxos, in particular, has more recently tended to patch together series and cycles with original recordings and reissues from other labels (such as the Schwarz recordings originally on Delos), with less thought to the integrity of the cycle rather than the cost-effectiveness of reissuing existing material to plug gaps. Certainly, some series don't wind up selling as well as hoped once they're underway, and financial considerations may dictate changes in plans. But there have been plenty of instances where companies have persevered and carried out series as planned, which may be less successful than hoped for in the short term, but are still a matter of prestige and value in the long term. I seriously doubt that Naxos is hurting for cash. And I echo the sentiments of others who have wondered, where's the big profit in re-recording material already on disc, with less-than-stellar artists?
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 02:19:40 am »

Walton, Holmboe, or Messiaen for example. I would do well to never hear another note from these composers again.

It's always interesting to hear about others' musical dislikes. Personally, I feel my life would be forever impoverished if I were unable to hear anything by the aforementioned composers again. But, we each have our own tastes and I respect yours.

I can't say I share your aversion to Roy Harris, though I find myself rarely listening to anything of his other than the 3rd Symphony anymore. And the awfulness of the 13th Symphony defies belief, for a major composer.

I do as wll wish Naxos and other labels would finish projects once they begin them. While Creston's last works are also not on a par with his earlier output (in my opinion, at least), they're still nowhere near the depths of Harris' and are certainly worthy of a recording, especially the 6th Symphony. I think part of the problem is that Naxos, in particular, has more recently tended to patch together series and cycles with original recordings and reissues from other labels (such as the Schwarz recordings originally on Delos), with less thought to the integrity of the cycle rather than the cost-effectiveness of reissuing existing material to plug gaps. Certainly, some series don't wind up selling as well as hoped once they're underway, and financial considerations may dictate changes in plans. But there have been plenty of instances where companies have persevered and carried out series as planned, which may be less successful than hoped for in the short term, but are still a matter of prestige and value in the long term. I seriously doubt that Naxos is hurting for cash. And I echo the sentiments of others who have wondered, where's the big profit in re-recording material already on disc, with less-than-stellar artists?

These three composers aren't the only ones I dislike. ;) Another composer I just don't get is Toch. I mean I never understood where he's going with his music. He may have been apart of the elite composers in the pre-Nazi years, but time has not been kind to Toch's music. I know I'm probably missing something, but it just sounds so disjointed, but personal tastes are such unusual and funny thing aren't they?

Here is a list of my favorite composers to give you an idea of what composers I like:

Shostakovich, Bartók, Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, Ravel, Villa-Lobos, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Debussy, Britten, Revueltas, Ginastera, Somers, Dutilleux, Tippett, Tubin, Ives, Sculthorpe, Milhaud, Myaskovsky, Szymanowski, Honegger, Janáček, Sibelius, Berg, Pärt, Martinů, Rubbra, Poulenc, Broadstock (a new favorite), Nielsen, W. Schuman, Copland, Barber, Casella, Schoenberg (pre-12 tone works), Adams, Lindberg, Salonen, Ligeti, Varese, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Enescu, Langgaard, and Arnold.

What about you?
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 02:46:22 am »

Getting back on topic, I think Naxos aren't worried about trying to fill important gaps in classical music now. They're so large now that I imagine them releasing more music that's already been released a thousand times now. It seems they've shifted their focus onto music that doesn't need to be focused on or music that I have 100x better performances of. Why would I need another Brahms 4th? Remember Alsop's hideous Brahms cycle? I never have liked Alsop's conducting and I think it's a shame that Naxos continues to support her. How she continues to conduct the Sao Paulo Symphony without being thrown off the podium is beyond me. ??? Her Bartok recordings were a joke...anyway....sorry I'm ranting here aren't I? :D I just think, and sorry to sound sexist here, she's acknowledged by the classical media because she's a woman conductor. The same applies to JoAnn Falletta whose conducting is much better than Alsop's IMHO. Anyway...Naxos really needs to get its act together. CPO Records is putting out much more interesting recordings than Naxos these days.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 09:32:05 am »

Here is a list of my favorite composers to give you an idea of what composers I like:

Shostakovich, Bartók, Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, Ravel, Villa-Lobos, Koechlin, Stravinsky, Debussy, Britten, Revueltas, Ginastera, Somers, Dutilleux, Tippett, Tubin, Ives, Sculthorpe, Milhaud, Myaskovsky, Szymanowski, Honegger, Janáček, Sibelius, Berg, Pärt, Martinů, Rubbra, Poulenc, Broadstock (a new favorite), Nielsen, W. Schuman, Copland, Barber, Casella, Schoenberg (pre-12 tone works), Adams, Lindberg, Salonen, Ligeti, Varese, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Enescu, Langgaard, and Arnold.

In that case, we (sorry for interfering :-)) at least share a love for: Shosta, Bartók, RVW, Ravel, Villa-Lobos, Stravinsky, Debussy, Ginastera, Dutilleux, Tippett, Tubin, Szymanowski, Honegger, Janáček, Pärt, Martinů, Rubbra, Nielsen, Barber, Casella, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Enescu, Langgaard, Arnold.
And I cannot say I dislike any of the dozen or so other names in your list. Yet, one of my personal favourites - fitting nicely in this company I'd say - is Vagn Holmboe.  :D
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 01:33:15 pm »

Getting back on topic, I think Naxos aren't worried about trying to fill important gaps in classical music now. They're so large now that I imagine them releasing more music that's already been released a thousand times now. It seems they've shifted their focus onto music that doesn't need to be focused on or music that I have 100x better performances of. Why would I need another Brahms 4th? Remember Alsop's hideous Brahms cycle? I never have liked Alsop's conducting and I think it's a shame that Naxos continues to support her. How she continues to conduct the Sao Paulo Symphony without being thrown off the podium is beyond me. ??? Her Bartok recordings were a joke...anyway....sorry I'm ranting here aren't I? :D I just think, and sorry to sound sexist here, she's acknowledged by the classical media because she's a woman conductor. The same applies to JoAnn Falletta whose conducting is much better than Alsop's IMHO. Anyway...Naxos really needs to get its act together. CPO Records is putting out much more interesting recordings than Naxos these days.
I've been longing to say that 'out loud' myself! Her (Alsop) Roy Harris recordings were shockingly bad & did him no favours. I was looking forward to them! :( Kuchar did one cd  & ok,it wasn't Ormandy,but it was a fairly respectable reading! Not a shapeless blob! Anyway,with a composer as overtly macho as Harris I can't help feeling you need a man at the helm!
Haven't heard her Bartok,but if she can't even conduct Harris?! ::)

If there are any feminists reading this I'm dead meat! ::) :(
Report Spam   Logged
JimL
Level 3

Times thanked: 16

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 02:54:49 pm »

Not dead meat, but you'd have to provide a causative implication between Ms. Alsop's gender and her lack of affinity to Harris' music that wouldn't apply to a male conductor with a similar lack.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 03:42:13 pm »

In that case, we (sorry for interfering :-)) at least share a love for: Shosta, Bartók, RVW, Ravel, Villa-Lobos, Stravinsky, Debussy, Ginastera, Dutilleux, Tippett, Tubin, Szymanowski, Honegger, Janáček, Pärt, Martinů, Rubbra, Nielsen, Barber, Casella, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Enescu, Langgaard, Arnold.
And I cannot say I dislike any of the dozen or so other names in your list. Yet, one of my personal favourites - fitting nicely in this company I'd say - is Vagn Holmboe.  :D

Oh yes, Cato, I knew you liked Holmboe's music a lot. Didn't you say you've met him before? I think I remember you saying this on GMG. There's so much great music out there, but there's a lot of music that I just don't care for, but it's this way with everyone one.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 03:45:59 pm »

I've been longing to say that 'out loud' myself!

I've said it before but not on this forum. I mean I can't think of one performance of hers that has left any kind of impression on me other than utter disgust. Sorry to the Alsop fans out there, but the lady can't conduct.
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2012, 01:42:28 pm »

What about you?

Actually, I like almost every composer on your list, to varying degrees. As for favorites, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, and Martinu are among my very favorite composers. Other favorites include Havergal Brian, Janis Ivanovs, Bruno Skulte, Messiaen, Hovhaness, Delius, Bax, Chadwick, Creston, Foulds, and many, many others. These are just a few who come to mind.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2012, 02:52:26 pm »

What about you?

Actually, I like almost every composer on your list, to varying degrees. As for favorites, Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Vaughan Williams, and Martinu are among my very favorite composers. Other favorites include Havergal Brian, Janis Ivanovs, Bruno Skulte, Messiaen, Hovhaness, Delius, Bax, Chadwick, Creston, Foulds, and many, many others. These are just a few who come to mind.

I need to check out Ivanovs. I know he's considered one of the greatest Latvian composers of all-time, right? I should have mentioned Delius in my list as he's a favorite as well. Don't really know why I left him off. Never could get into Bax or Messiaen. Foulds is an interesting composer. I enjoy those two Oramo recordings on Warner. Haven't heard A World Requiem yet. Have been meaning to listen to it.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2012, 07:51:13 pm »

Yes, John, please do check out Ivanovs! I haven't heard anything by him yet that I've been less than impressed with :). Foulds is also a favorite of mine-I just wish his "Symphony of East and West" wasn't lost :(!
Report Spam   Logged
guest145
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »

I need to check out Ivanovs. I know he's considered one of the greatest Latvian composers of all-time, right? I should have mentioned Delius in my list as he's a favorite as well. Don't really know why I left him off. Never could get into Bax or Messiaen. Foulds is an interesting composer. I enjoy those two Oramo recordings on Warner. Haven't heard A World Requiem yet. Have been meaning to listen to it.

Lots of Ivanovs is available in the downloads section of this forum -- by all means, avail yourself! My suggestion is to start with Symphonies Nos. 4 or 6, the Cello Concerto, then some of the late symphonies, etc.

Coincidentally, I just listened to Foulds' World Requiem again yesterday. I love the work and have listened to it from beginning to end on quite a few occasions (more than I can say for most large works). It's quite beautiful and very engaging. There's a bit of silliness near the beginning, where one of the soloists exhorts the peoples of the world, naming countries and regions, somewhat reminiscent of Elgar's Crown of India. But the performers carry off the work with great conviction and polish. I often wonder whether Britten heard the work in his youth, as it seems structurally somewhat of a precursor to his War Requiem (which I consider to be one of the supreme masterpieces of music).
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2012, 09:36:04 pm »

Britten seems to have been very careful not to admit any similarities between his works and earlier English classics. There can be little doubt that 'Peter Grimes' was influenced by 'The Wreckers' (even down to the outside-church scene) and 'Noye's Fludde' by Boughton's 'Bethlehem', and I think you're right about the Requiems too.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: