The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:41:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Upcoming Releases from Naxos

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Upcoming Releases from Naxos  (Read 1737 times)
kyjo
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:47:35 am »

Here are some upcoming releases from Naxos: http://www.naxos.com/upcomingreleases.asp?strLabels=ViewAll&releasemonth1=2013/1

Of greatest interest amongst these are Clementi's Symphonies 1 and 2 with La Vecchia (of Casella, Malipiero and Sgambati fame), the complete cello duets of Gliere, Volume 1 of a projected series of the complete piano music of Camargo Guarnieri, and a disc with the unusual pairing of Viktor Ullman's PC with Beethoven's PC 3.

:)
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:53 am »

With the Maxwell Davies Piano Concerto, does that mean the symphonic releases have ended? With the downloads on here including nos. 8 and 9, only no. 7 seems to be missing.
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:32:53 am »

My mistake, no. 7 is here too!
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:42:22 am »

I can't say I've been too impressed with what Naxos are putting out in January. Composers that are in dire need of performances continue to go by the wayside while Naxos seems content in releasing repertoire that can be found in other performances. What's happening with their Canadian Classics series? What's been going on with their American Classics series lately? What happened to the promotion of Latin-American composers? These are questions I'm sure they're "too busy to answer." ::)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:52:59 am »

You're absolutely right, John. Naxos' nationalities series (American, Canadian, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, Latin-American) seems to have stalled recently and they just seem to either be recording music that's already been recorded in fine performances or recording music most here would not be interested in :(. Ah well, Naxos does have a relatively fast-moving release schedule-we'll just have to see what the next batch brings :)!
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 05:00:07 pm »

My main problem with Naxos is also my main problem with a lot of labels. They never finish what they started! A case in point: David Diamond's symphonies. Why didn't they get Schwarz to complete the cycle or get another conductor to finish them? It makes no sense to me.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 06:23:09 pm »

.....or, for that matter, Walter Piston.

Schwarz has recorded Symphonies 2, 4 and 6....but nothing since then :(
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 07:53:17 pm »

.....or, for that matter, Walter Piston.

Schwarz has recorded Symphonies 2, 4 and 6....but nothing since then :(

Exactly. We can add Peter Mennin to that list as well.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 08:02:02 pm »

...or Roy Harris! But, then again, I don't believe his 10th, 12th, or 13th symphonies even merit a recording. They are such disappointingly trite, banal, and downright terrible compositions from the pen of a composer who could write such powerful and memorable music :(. Did Harris go insane or something ;D? Perhaps that was the reason for no further volumes in Naxos' Harris cycle...

On a similar note, Naxos has not recorded Creston's 6th (they recorded all his other symphonies), but we are very fortunate to have it in our downloads :)
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 08:15:00 pm »

Hard to believe, but that will be the third commercial recording of Ullmann's piano concerto. I like the piano concerto, don't get me wrong, but couldn't that money and effort have been better spent elsewhere? The pairing with the Beethoven is even more mind-boggling. The Ullmann is a piece I enjoy, but it is not really a masterpiece in my opinion, and it is well-served in the earlier recordings of it. The Beethoven is a masterpiece, but it doesn't belong on Naxos, really.
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »

...or Roy Harris! But, then again, I don't believe his 10th, 12th, or 13th symphonies even merit a recording. They are such disappointingly trite, banal, and downright terrible compositions from the pen of a composer who could write such powerful and memorable music :(. Did Harris go insane or something ;D? Perhaps that was the reason for no further volumes in Naxos' Harris cycle...

On a similar note, Naxos has not recorded Creston's 6th (they recorded all his other symphonies), but we are very fortunate to have it in our downloads :)

On a personal note, I never cared for Roy Harris' music. Not even his famous 3rd does much for me. Give me W. Schuman, Diamond, Persichetti, etc. any day of the week.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 08:31:43 pm »

Hmmm...Harris is one of my favorites-his music has an epic sweep and power all its own :)! But, as always, each to his own!
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:00:35 pm »

Hmmm...Harris is one of my favorites-his music has an epic sweep and power all its own :)! But, as always, each to his own!

I just haven't heard anything from Harris that makes my heart race or that hits me emotionally. His music is just too declamatory (i. e. 'preachy and long-winded') for me.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 04:10:25 pm »

Add two of MY favourites Walter Piston AND Howard Hanson!! ;D I actually DO think that there is a bit more to Harris than No3. No 6 is my personal favourite & I actually play it more than No3! And yes,there is an 'epic sweep',as you put it. I remember picking up the old Lousville recording of No 5 on an RCA Lp in the County library. To a teenage mind used to my grandparents collection of Beethoven,Mozart & Bach,it was like a symphonic answer to those old Westerns. I could practically 'see' Monument Valley & those praries,as I listened to the music on my stereo record player. Some years later I got quite taken by a R3 broacast of the Sixth (the performance on the Albany cd).
Sadly,having heard all the recordings of Harris that are now available,I have to admit that much as I enjoy Harris when I'm in the right mood,Mirror Image does have a point! While I don't share his dislike (or mere boredom?) with his music,I have to admit that there is only so much 'gung ho' 'God Bless America' patriotism I can handle;which is a pity because some of the quiet reflective moments in the Fifth & Sixth symphonies,for example,are very beautifully & luminously scored. Also,the  lovely 'fill up','Memories of a Child's Sunday',on the Albany cd of Symphonies 8 & 9,does remind me of the No1 quality lacking from Harris's music. Humour! It's all so terribly earnest! If only the guy could have loosened up a bit!
Having said that,I DO enjoy Harris though,when I AM in the right mood. No 6,in particular,followed by No's 7 & 5. I also believe No 8 & 11 have got something going for them. The others,with the exception of the 'famous third',not so much! :( The Seventh sounds quite good in the Naxos recording (Kuchar was better than Alsop!),but the Ormandy performance is the one to hear. I got it via a free download (not from here!). A thrilling performance. In fact,despite my reservations,I actually think his Sixth & Seventh are pretty impressive creations. A bit more variety & humour might have helped his case,though! And,if only Bernstein had been a little more interested!
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 04:40:43 pm »

Yeah, I knew you admired Harris' music a lot, cligwyn. I own a good many Harris recordings. I just can't take Harris' music all that serious for the afore mentioned reasons I gave. When I listen to Harris, I don't hear a good composer, I hear someone who's unsure of who he is as a composer, so to compensate for this 'lack of style,' he had to throw out some kind of hackneyed patriotic American pathos to try and hook the listener. Bear in mind these are just my opinions and nothing more.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: