The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:24:56 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Time, Forward!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time, Forward!  (Read 5104 times)
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2015, 12:45:32 pm »

I don't know much about Kondrashin, but I'd previously noted that his recording of Prefatory Action (Scriabin/Nemtin) is much more striking than that of Ashkenazy. Are there other Kondrashin recordings which could be considered top-of-the-pile? His opening of Mahler 6 must be one of the fastest . . .

I ought to declare an interest, since I know Kondrashin's son - he's probably the best Sound Engineer for classical music in Moscow currently.

Kirill Kondrashin was a major conductor at the Bolshoi in the post-war period - when they were struggling to re-establish the theatre after it returned from wartime evacuation.  He conducted the whole gamut of their repertoire, and amazingly found space in concert programs at the theatre to perform Wagner and R Strauss (for which he was severely censured - all German music was considered "off limits" in the post-war period, although part of his rationale for including it was a move towards rapprochement).  He defected (somewhat more quietly than Rostro, his great Bolshoi contemporary) in the late 1970s and became Chief Guest Conductor at the Concergebouw in Amsterdam.

There is a stonking performance of Rach PC 2 with Richter - very well worth your time :)  He was the first conductor to record the entire cycle of DSCH Symphonies (they are now available in a Melodiya box, after years of being unavailable).  Of course, that is also "that" recording of Tchaik 1 with Van Cliburn. But he flew against the tub-thumping patriotic mood of the post-war USSR, and played and recorded a lot of music that was far from mainstream for the era - he recorded all the Brahms symphonies and the VC with Oistrakh, lots of Mahler (Symphs 1,2,3,7,8, & 9), and lots of Bartok and Ravel.  He made the first recordings of Weinberg's Symphonies 4.5 & 6.   He also published a book about conducting, but it disappeared off the shelves after his defection....  as did many of his recordings.

He also made the rare achievement of recording Lalo's Symphonie Espagnole twice - once with Oistrakh and then again with Kogan :))  Both are on YouTube if you care for 'that kind of thing' :))  (The audio quality of the Kogan recording is a bit dodgy, and the orchestral timbre is flattened out into a kind of mash...  but it's worth it for Kogan's astonishing playing).  It's a testament to Kondrashin that he was happy to simply 'accompany' his famous collaborators on these recordings... and allow their radically different interpretations of the piece to take centre stage :)
Report Spam   Logged
autoharp
Level 3

Times thanked: 15

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2015, 06:39:11 pm »

Many thanks for all the info, Neil!
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 09:42:21 pm »

Many thanks for all the info, Neil!
there are now so many renderings of Shosty's symphonies its hard to pick the best
especially when you have an outliers like Bernsteins magnificent and hyped 5th and Ormandy's scintillating 1st and 4th..
I have the inconsistent Rohz cycle on Melodiya among others and there are some good and some mediochre offerings.
I particularly like the sound world of the Ladislav Slovak, Czecho-Slovak Symphony cycle. It is very consistent and well-done.
re Kondrashin, were it not for the pale audio, it might hold more favor with me.
maybe a thread on this is appropriate.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2015, 07:34:22 am »

maybe a thread on this is appropriate.

I believe a discussion of the many recordings - individually, and as sets - of the DSCH symphonic works would be very worthwhile!  It's a topic on which a number of members would have salient contributions to make.

Perhaps we should start one separately from this thread??
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2017, 11:55:23 pm »

Back to the Sviridov: apart from the obvious Sabre Dance, I'm wondering if there are other notable brief Russian examples in the severely motoric and delightfully vulgar vein?

If you're still collecting 'running motors' (not necessarily Soviet ones)...   the somewhat unlikely (?) source of a concert this evening by Sir Andras Schiff in Moscow gleaned a very nice example? Bartok Piano Sonata Szd80.

Would make a nice addition to your recital programs, Mr Auto?  :-))  There's a Stravinskian 'Rite' of a motor in the first movement - while the last movement has a more light-hearted toy clockwork motor that keeps theatening to run down :-)

There wasn't an empty seat in the Great Hall of the Conservatoire for Sir Andras, either - and it's a barn to fill  :)  I had to leave an hour after the official program concluded - but he might even still be there playing encores still?
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2018, 08:42:05 am »

Back to the Sviridov: apart from the obvious Sabre Dance, I'm wondering if there are other notable brief Russian examples in the severely motoric and delightfully vulgar vein?

If we're still collecting them, Prok PC 3 has a number of motors running - including a somewhat berserk fast one, a nightmarish one as per FIERY ANGEL/Symphony No 3, and a slow and clomping one like a venerable traction engine ;)
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: