The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:46:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Time, Forward!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time, Forward!  (Read 5116 times)
t-p
« on: November 09, 2011, 03:34:57 pm »

Indeed, I remember being told on another forum by a practicing musician that Shostakovich was a well-known Stalinist stooge, and that the proper thing for all right-thinking people to have done during the period of Stalinist rule would have been to leave the country.  All 132 million of them.  ;D

[/quote]
I have to say that it was easy to think like that if you were average Soviet citizen. He was sanctioned composer after all, state supported etc and he went abroad.
He was a pond in grand game or competition between two system. He tried to tell people here about real life in the Soviet Union in sublime way so to say. Soviet propaganda machine used talented people like that.

Maybe it means that we can appreciate things only looking back in perspective.

But I don't think people can understand each other. There are words by Achmatova - How another can understand you, when you express your thought it is a lie already.
I am afraid it is very pessimistic view I am expressing here. Maybe people can find more positive tone.

INdeed I heard recently on some show that they asked Vishnevskaya about wanting to live well and saying politically correct so to say things on Soviet television. Her reply was good. She said that they dtied to survive and they didn't percecute people like members of the party did.
This is what dictatorship is.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: