The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:02:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

"Five Symphonies That Changed Music"

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Five Symphonies That Changed Music"  (Read 5256 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« on: November 04, 2011, 10:57:26 pm »

Is 7 really Shostakovich's "most popular" symphony?
Mea culpa, what I meant was "the most recorded/pressed/performed" - which I believe it is?
I cannot be certain about that, but it may well be just that.

There is some dispute among the DSCH scholars that the 7th was really the composer's reaction to the invasion of the USSR by the Third Reich.  Apparently sketches predate the invasion (which came as a complete surprise to the USSR's top brass) so extensively that it's hard to make this case.  Legend persists that Khrennikov persuaded DSCH to retitle a work that he had wanted to call "The Legendary", and to put the symphony at the country's disposal in time of war.  I see Elder hasn't mentioned any of this.  Volkhov's Russian-language book ("The Tsar & The Composer") is more overt than the boiled-down English version titled "Shostakovich & Stalin". I should be interested to know what experts like McBurney think about this matter?
And so would I - but then even the remarkable Elizabeth Wilson, who has arguably gotten as near as it might be possible to get to address the secrets of Shostakovich, cannot really help us here, so I suspect that such help is simply not forthcoming and we'll accordingly have to form our own conclusions.

Works of art shouldn't float to the top on the sympathy vote, because they happened to be created in dreadful circumstances or fearful times*. They have to succeed as works of art, first and foremost.  And if the sympathy vote has been rigged - because the composer had a different idea in his mind about whom Russia's "enemy" was in "the Legendary", as Volkhov states, and as Rostro claimed - then the touching stories attached to it lose credibility considerably.
If by "Volkhov" you mean Solomon of that ilk, then I'd rather move away, thanks - but I agree with the rest of what you write here, without question.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 07:29:00 am by ahinton » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: