The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:52:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Which recording of the Hans Rott Symphony should I purchase?

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which recording of the Hans Rott Symphony should I purchase?  (Read 407 times)
kyjo
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:56:48 pm »

The stunningly pre-Mahlerian Symphony in E major (1878) of the tragically short-lived Hans Rott (1858-1884) has received five(!) recordings in the last ten years. They are:

-Gerhard Samuel/Cincinnati PO on Hyperion (Helios) (58 minutes)
-Dennis Russell Davies/Radio Sinfonieorchester Wien on CPO (55 minutes, coupled with the Pastorales Vorspiel)
-Sebastian Weigle/Munich Radio Orchestra on Arte Nova (55 minutes, coupled with the Prelude to Julius Caesar and the Prelude in E major)
-Leif Segerstam/Norrkoping SO on BIS (by far the most expansive at 64 minutes)
-and, most recently, Paavo Jarvi/Frankfurt Radio SO on RCA (53 minutes, coupled with the Suite in B-flat)

I have heard the Hyperion recording via my local library and was greatly impressed by it. I do not yet have a recording of this piece in my collection, though, so I was wondering what members here thought about what the best recording is :). A great recording of this great symphony should make a great Christmas gift, I would think (sorry for saying "great" too many times) ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

tapiola
Level 5

Times thanked: 18

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:42 pm »

Paavo Jarvi/Frankfurt Radio SO
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 08:05:15 pm »

Thanks for such a quick reply, Tapiola :)! Not to put you on the spot or anything, but have you heard any other recordings of the symphony, and, if so, how do they compare to Jarvi's interpretation?
Report Spam   Logged
Mirror Image
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 12:08:24 am »

I have a friend from another forum who swears by the Segerstam recording. I do like Segerstam's conducting, so I might be picking up this one myself.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 12:10:36 am »

Thanks! I thought I might enjoy Segerstam's expansive interpretation, which this symphony needs :). I generally enjoy Segerstam's conducting as well.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: