The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:26:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Virtual performance of Sorabji

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual performance of Sorabji  (Read 2471 times)
guest54
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:56:19 am »

Many thanks for those Your Majesty! What an expense of time effort and dedication on your part. Possibly more than the composer's, even. I shall look forward to familiarizing myself with them while out on the constitutional.

Where Sorabji is concerned we always worry about the FORM do we not. In his lengthier works it can be exceedingly difficult to pick out patterns repetitions and developments. As serious and discerning Art-worshippers we must have faith that they are there. But these ones you did are not over-long, and I enjoyed the preludio-toccata very much (ignoring as best I could certain obtrusive suggestions of the negro "jazz" style). I am not after a first hearing so sure about the chorale though; it sounds something like Bach without the oomph.

Most music achieves its mirroring of movements of the mind through an alternation of tension with relaxation. But as I have noted before, Sorabji is rather different. Instead of that alternation, his instinct seems to be: first go up in a sequence, then go down in a sequence, and he really is capable of continuing thus throughout a movement. It has an improvisatory effect, but it is difficult to relate the pulse of the music to any impulses of the soul.

It would be nice to be able to do something similar to your efforts in the case of all those symphonies that have been performed once (if at all) and never again - not just Sorabji's I mean but those of every prematurely forgotten composer. It is something the B.B.C. should be doing of course, but they have now been irretrievably corrupted by the Porkies. So through the computer is the only way these works will ever be heard (if indeed the lady librarians have not tipped them out by now).
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: