The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 07:03:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Ragnar Soderlind(1945-)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ragnar Soderlind(1945-)  (Read 2048 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 06:42:41 pm »

Martin Anderson of Toccata told me a couple of years ago that he admires Soderlind's music. Perhaps Toccata might give him some justice?
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

Times thanked: 11

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2016, 11:09:36 am »

I just found this. NRK has made some of their old video archives available recently, and it seems that Soderlind wrote some incidental music for a Norwegian TV show.

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/fjernsynsteatret/ftea00004668/21-01-1969#
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 11:13:12 am »

And, to top it off, a show devoted to Halvor Haug ! This includes a live performance of his String Quartet.

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/norsk-musikk-i-dag/FMUS00004487/29-01-1988#
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 11:17:23 am »

And, furthermore, a program devoted to Soderlind

https://tv.nrk.no/serie/norsk-musikk-i-dag/FMUS00002087/11-08-1987#
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2016, 01:09:50 pm »

Sometimes, i feel like I am a one-man marketing company for Ragnar Soderlind and Halvor Haug  ;D

I just created a Facebook page that is devoted to Norwegian composer Ragnar Soderlind. In my opinion, Ragnar (and Halvor Haug) are two composers that deserve wider recognition, especially outside of Norway. If you are a fan of Soderlind, please feel free to Like and contribute material to this new page. It is located here:

https://www.facebook.com/ragnarsoderlind.composer

Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2016, 01:29:36 pm »

Mmm...much enjoy Soderlind, and Haug - detest Facebook. Good luck !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2016, 01:36:18 pm »

I often have my doubts about Facebook too. But it's very easy to create a page or a group on Facebook, you don't have to worry about website hosting companies, and there is already a large number of groups that cater to classical music fans. So, I figured that this was a good way to get a bit more recognition for Soderlind.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 02:33:27 pm »

Sometimes, i feel like I am a one-man marketing company for Ragnar Soderlind and Halvor Haug  ;D

I just created a Facebook page that is devoted to Norwegian composer Ragnar Soderlind. In my opinion, Ragnar (and Halvor Haug) are two composers that deserve wider recognition, especially outside of Norway. If you are a fan of Soderlind, please feel free to Like and contribute material to this new page. It is located here:

https://www.facebook.com/ragnarsoderlind.composer

Oh.......can I assure you that over the years-on this and two other music forums-I have done my best to raise awareness of the music of both composers. I recall very lengthy posts (unusual for me ;D) on both composers (particularly on The Good Music Guide forum). I also contributed catalogues of their orchestral music-my main interest. The neglect of these composers-by the Norwegians themselves, I must add-is extremely sad. If they had been born Finns then we would have all their music on disc.

I shall certainly join your Facebook page.
Report Spam   Logged
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2016, 07:29:11 pm »

Thanks, Dundonnell. You have certainly done great work in spreading the word of Soderlind and Haug in numerous forums. Hopefully the massive reach of Facebook will draw even more Soderlind fans together.
Report Spam   Logged
Christo
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »

Thanks, Dundonnell. You have certainly done great work in spreading the word of Soderlind and Haug in numerous forums. Hopefully the massive reach of Facebook will draw even more Soderlind fans together.

Can you tell us where to start with Søderlind? After reading an inspiring interview with him in the Gramophone magazine, late in the 1990s I guess, I bought the CD with Symphony No. 4 'Sedimenti musicalii', but I didn't "get" it at the time and lost interest (was expecting something like Holmboe or Nørgård, probably, but this was definitely different). My fault, no doubt.
Report Spam   Logged

… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.  RVW, 1948
magmasystems
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2016, 09:16:04 pm »

I started with his symphonies, namely numbers 2 and 3. You can also find a copy of a radio broadcast of Symphony No. 5 on YouTube.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 12:26:41 am »

The great British writer about and enthusiast for Scandinavian music Robert Layton used to write about those composers who could produce music which transmitted to the listener a sense of progression, of taking the listener on a journey.

Soderlind-to me-is just such a composer. Someone who knows exactly what he wants to say and can deliver that to his listeners. The Symphony No.5 is a perfect example of this. The sublimely beautiful last three or four minutes represent precisely where the symphony has been heading from its opening bars.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 08:04:26 am »

This simple UT query will bring up 3 Soderlind symphonies and some other pieces.
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=ragnar+soderlind&sp=SBTqAwA%253D
Report Spam   Logged
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 08:45:40 am »

This simple UT query will bring up 3 Soderlind symphonies and some other pieces.
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=ragnar+soderlind&sp=SBTqAwA%253D

Better to put quotes round "Ragnar Soderlind", or the search finds everything with a performer called "Ragnar".
Report Spam   Logged
BrianA
Level 4

Times thanked: 29

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 03:18:39 pm »

I keep hoping that the Tchaikovsky Orchestra, who seem to be big Soderlind fans, will eventually get around to putting another symphony or two on YouTube.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: