The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:47:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Mongolian music

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mongolian music  (Read 447 times)
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2012, 04:13:25 pm »

As a youngster,I recall being intrigued by the Gonchiksumla Lps in the old Russian Record Company catalogues. A Mongolian composer was nearly as exotic as it got. The temptation was there,but for some reason I always resisted sending in my order (postal orders,back then! ;D)

I still regret not ordering the Boris Asafiev 2 Lp set of  The Fountain of Bakchsarai (hope that's spelt right?!) & some other excerpts (The Flames of Paris,I think?). The exotic sounding name probably helped increase my curiosity. Years later I managed to tape around twenty minutes of the former,broadcast on the sadly missed R3 Saturday listeners request show. A two hour show,the idiots axed! :( Anyway,while not hugely original,the music is rather enjoyable in an old fashioned,even for it's time,way! Perhaps Melodiya or some other cd label will reissue the set,one day!
Meanwhile,I was rather amazed to see that the Bolshoi Ballet's production of Asafiev's 'The Flames of Paris'  (a Stalin favourite,apparently! ;D) has actually been released on dvd!! :o

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: