The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:24:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Cyril Scott from Dutton

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cyril Scott from Dutton  (Read 779 times)
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2012, 08:13:21 pm »

I am reliably informed that Martin Yates is just about to record for Dutton two very early concertos by Scott (for piano and cello respectively) found in the Grainger museum archive, together with the Princess Maleine overture. The orchestra is the BBC Symphony. I know no more.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »

Cyril Scott did indeed write two Cello Concertos. The concerto of 1937 was recorded by Chandos but there is an earlier concerto, opus 19 (although Scott's opus numbers seem to make as little sense as those of Joseph Holbrooke ::) which was composed around 1902 and is, therefore, the concerto being referred to. Its existence was known about and indeed the full ms. score in certainly in the Grainger Library.

The Piano Concerto which, obviously, predates the previously numbered Piano Concerto No.1 of 1913-14(recorded by both Lyrita and Chandos) appears to be a work from around 1900 and has the opus number 10 (the same opus number as the Christmas Overture of around the same date) but was left unfinished. I am therefore guessing that this may be another case of Martin Yates or somebody else having completed the score.

I cannot claim to be a particular fan of Cyril Scott's music so the idea of resurrecting some of his early music does not fill with excitement but the recording will certainly add to the overall picture of Scott as a composer.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 09:57:19 pm »

This is fantastic news :)! Thanks for the heads-up, Grandenorm. Scott is definitely an individual voice in English music and it should be interesting to hear how his style developed by being able to hear his earlier works. Dutton is really on a roll at present ;D!
Report Spam   Logged
Albion
Level 7

Times thanked: 2750

Frederic Cowen (1852-1935)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 08:05:12 am »

I am reliably informed that Martin Yates is just about to record for Dutton two very early concertos by Scott (for piano and cello respectively) found in the Grainger museum archive, together with the Princess Maleine overture. The orchestra is the BBC Symphony. I know no more.

Thanks, Gareth - this is excellent news. Scott's Symphony No.1 and what remains of No.2 (i.e. Three Symphonic Dances) show that by the turn of the century he was producing attractive and confident large-scale works, albeit without the individual harmonic style which he was subsequently to develop and exploit.

I'm particularly interested in hearing the Princess Maleine overture, which is the original 1902 version of the much-revised Festival Overture (1929) recorded on Chandos CHAN 10407. Other early orchestral works which are still extant include a Lyric Suite (1900) and an overture to Pelléas et Mélisande (1900) - as with Havergal Brian, it's remarkable to think that Scott survived into the 1970s (just).

:)
Report Spam   Logged

"A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it." (Sydney Grew, 1922)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: