The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 18, 2024, 09:52:08 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Rise of the Concerto and the Fall of the Symphony in Britain

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of the Concerto and the Fall of the Symphony in Britain  (Read 1925 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:30:40 pm »

You will not be surprised to learn that I fundamentally disagree with you :)  I am happy to defend your absolute right however to express your opinion ;)

It may well be that a substantial number of younger composers are wondering whether there is any point in writing symphonies. Their reasons for that may differ between the fear that putting so much effort into composing in such a "weighty form" may not be rewarded with a performance at all and a more fundamental doubt that the symphony as a musical form has any real future per se.

You go on to elaborate a number of reasons why the symphony may be regarded as an anachronism in the 21st century and posit the theory that those symphonies which are being written by living composers are in the main "pastiche", mere replication of a tradition which is, or should be, regarded as now outmoded.

And, of course, to an extent-if I am being brutally honest-I can recognise the argument. There is no disguising the fact that my own personal preference is for symphonic music which does build on past tradition. Is that unhealthy or undesirable ??? ??? You, clearly, think so. I do not.

Are audiences really stuck in a musical museum dedicated to the regurgitation of past glories and pale imitations of such ??? Well, to an extent they are. But I still like to believe that audiences could be educated to an appreciation of both the music of the great composers of the past and of more modern music and that there IS also a middle-ground-not of pastiche but of composers who, just as their great predecessors did, can use tradition, can build upon it, to compose music which both looks backwards and forwards.

....and if I AM wrong, if you are correct in your forecast of what the future of musical appreciation and progress will really be like, then-from my point of view- fortunately I shall not be around to witness it ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: