The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:15:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

help needed: someone from Aspen? Glass VC No.0

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: help needed: someone from Aspen? Glass VC No.0  (Read 174 times)
guest140
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:59:18 pm »

Hello!

I am trying to shed some light (at least for me) on the story about the Violin concerto by Philip Glass composed in 1960 (which isn't his more famous violin concerto, that dates from 1987 or the latest one from 2009). Beside some common facts it seems exceedingly difficult to find further information and I would like to ask for your help!

I found out that the Violin concerto was composed in 1960 when Philip Glass was a student and performed in 1960 at the Aspen Music Festival by the student friend Dorothy Pixley-Rothschild (violin). Immediately after the premiere Glass received several critic for his composition and withdrew it shortly after the performance.

And thats it. Of course I tried to find more about the exact date or the other performers of the premiere through a lot of internet search, but found nothing. I tried to get in touch with Philip Glass, but failed of course. I contacted the Aspen Music Festival, but they told me that they do not hold information about performed student works. I tried to get in touch with the Rothschild family, but failed. I contacted the Fromm Music Foundation who supported student composers at that time, but they could not help me either.

But I am pretty sure that there must be newspaper articles about the concerts and the discussion about the Glass concerto in one of the Aspen newspapers of that time. But I do not know where or how to search articles from 1960 in an Aspen newspaper when living in Germany? And I am also pretty sure that there have been articles or even books that deal with this concerto (at least parts of it) due to the importance of Philip Glass and his first violin concerto to the history of classical music.

So can anyone of you give my research some new impulses?

Thanks and best,
Tobias
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: