The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:29:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

The Rise of the Concerto and the Fall of the Symphony in Britain

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Rise of the Concerto and the Fall of the Symphony in Britain  (Read 1910 times)
Gauk
Level 7

Times thanked: 58

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 07:54:43 pm »

Well, with Segerstam you get both, quite often, many of his symphonies having quite bizarre subtitles; ah, well, that's Leif, I guess. As of the end of August this year, the symphonic tally was 258, many of these symphonies occupying precisely the same duration - 24 minutes - and if the subtitle of the most recent one, Enchanted by the famous pigletpettattoes of Viola Segerstam, isn't perverse, I'm not quite sure what is. That said, his conducting of other repertoire - especially that for which he's perhaps best known - seems to me to be anything but eccentric or at least achieves wholly uneccentric and often utterly thrilling and compelling results.

That actually raises another question. Is a symphony anything you call a symphony? Segerstam can turn out such large numbers because each is only six pages of MS, using a system of notation for semi-aleatoric playing. This is why they are all 24 minutes long. With graphic scores, it's even easier. A friend of mine some years ago wrote a String Quartet the score of which consisted of three small drawings, one for each movement. I can do that, gizzajob. Give me enough paper, and I'll do 300 drawings and put "Symphony No. _" at the top of each.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: