The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:36:40 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Power of youtube

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power of youtube  (Read 639 times)
t-p
« on: November 17, 2012, 10:05:57 am »

Interesting article in International Pianist magazine .
It is by Joe Laredo
Who is most viewed pianist on youtube? Itis Valentina Lisitsa with  a total of some  45 million views. Most people are not familiar with her name. Her debut recording came out in July. Critics wrote - The disc 'rpves Lisitsa's technical skill rather than the potential depth or reach of her musicality' (FIona Maddock wrote in the Observer).

Comments on her video clips attracted much extra-musical attention : Beautiful dress, I think I 'm in love with you, I want you to marry me are some of the more printable of the thousands of remarks posted.

Similarly we can talk about popularity of Gabriela Montero, Uja Wang, Alisa Sara Ott and Khatia Buniatishvili.

There is discussion about to what extent does or should, physical attractiveness determine artistic and commercial success in the piano world.

In the  age of visual enlightenment let us not shut our eyes entirely to musical experience - ending words of the comment.
I think this comment touches on my sensitive point too. While one doesn't want look at shabily dressed people there is limit of what one likes to see while listening to classical performance.
Men exploit their looks too. This comment didn't touch on that (maybe there were no lurid comments under their youtube clips).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 10:24:26 am by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 10:42:59 am »

Interesting article in International Pianist magazine .
It is by Joe Laredo
Who is most viewed pianist on youtube? Itis Valentina Lisitsa with  a total of some  45 million views. Most people are not familiar with her name. Her debut recording came out in July. Critics wrote - The disc 'rpves Lisitsa's technical skill rather than the potential depth or reach of her musicality' (FIona Maddock wrote in the Observer).

Comments on her video clips attracted much extra-musical attention : Beautiful dress, I think I 'm in love with you, I want you to marry me are some of the more printable of the thousands of remarks posted.

Similarly we can talk about popularity of Gabriela Montero, Uja Wang, Alisa Sara Ott and Khatia Buniatishvili.

There is discussion about to what extent does or should, physical attractiveness determine artistic and commercial success in the piano world.

In the  age of visual enlightenment let us not shut our eyes entirely to musical experience - ending words of the comment.
I think this comment touches on my sensitive point too. While one doesn't want look at shabily dressed people there is limit of what one likes to see while listening to classical performance.
Men exploit their looks too. This comment didn't touch on that (maybe there were no lurid comments under their youtube clips).
It's not just Youtube but also the music magazines and other sources where one may encounter an increasing preponderance of glam pics of instrumentalists (though far less often of composers!) and it doesn't even necessarily follow that their looks are being promoted in an attempt to conceal their shortcomings as performers; Nicola Benedetti's been snapped so often in such a context that some might almost be forgiven for thinking that some of the images must somehow have escaped from Vogue or some other journal for fashionistas rather than appearing in publications read by those interested in music, yet she is a splendid violinist and a very fine musician indeed; there are other such examples, not least Montero and Wang whom you mention here, the former of whom is well known for her spontaneous public improvisations and the latter for a superhuman facility that leaves the likes of Ott, Buniatishvili and Lisitsa far behind if not quite on a par with Hamelin or Ullén. Lisitsa has indeed made a big deal of acquiring for herself an unprecedentedly large Youtube presence but I don't find her playing particularly attention-grabbing; whoever expressed a desire for her to marry him would presumably be unaware that she is already married (and I don't think that she's all that remarkable to look at, either, but that's just a personal opinion)...

But yes, this kind of thing is indeed quite a distraction for some people when certain visual elements are permitted or even encouraged to assume precedence over the musical ones and, sadly, I don't doubt that this will continue to be exploited by some.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

People can make their own mind.  Here is Lisisa playing Beethoven Sonata Op 57 "Appassionata" Mov3

Often (like in case of Lang Lang) professional musicians were slow to recognize what general public saw right away (originality and infectious of their playing).

Liszt - La Campanella — Alice Sara Ott

Sometimes good looks go with talent (Netrebko is another example).

Khatia Buniatishvili - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3, Part 01

Piano teaching and technique went a long way since mid 20 century. Women can now tackle Rachmaninoff!!!!
While studying that many years ago teacher will not  think twice of saying to a woman -pupil that she will get married and have children (implying that it is not that necessary to expend too much energy teaching her). And now both men and women play amazingly well.

There is much critic in Russian language under the last clip. They say that she swallowed some notes, bad pedal. Writers says that she plays with no soul and it doesn't touch him/her.

Yuja Wang - Scriabin, Selections for Solo Piano

Maybe young people saying that classical music was too conservative for a long time and it is time to catch up with 21 century?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:00:30 pm by the Administration » Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »

People can make their own mind.  Here is Lisisa playing Beethoven Sonata Op 57 "Appassionata" Mov3

Liszt - La Campanella — Alice Sara Ott

Khatia Buniatishvili - Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No. 3, Part 01

Yuja Wang - Scriabin, Selections for Solo Piano
Many thanks for posting these. I've listened to them. The first sounded a little matter-of-fact and stodgy in places, acceptable in others, but not a performance that makes me want to listen again. The second I'd beard before - not bad. The third's the best I've heard from this artist but that's not saying much! I'm not impressed that she's doing more than struggling to play something that's standard repertoire and a kind of calling card for pianists (of course it is also a very great concerto indeed!). The last actually sounds like a pianist whom I'd be happy to listen to with some frequency; he appearance, however, is even more absurd than her playing is appealing! All just personal opinions, of course.

Piano teaching and technique went a long way since mid 20 century. Women can now tackle Rachmaninoff!!!!
Some of them always could!

While studying that many years ago teacher will not  think twice of saying to a woman -pupil that she will get married and have children (implying that it is not that necessary to expend too much energy teaching her). And now both men and women play amazingly well.
Carfeul here! I'll never forget the late, great Shura Cherkassky in quite a late interview saying of modern pianists that "they all pay so well!". Hmmm! This isn't about "men and women" pianists, however, except to the extent that far more women have had far more opportunities to develop their pianistic skills in more recent times, but let's not forget such pianists as Carreño, Joyce, Loriod, Argerich and others (three of whom are no longer with us, of course). That kind of attitude from teachers was incredibly and unforgivably patronising; Dr Ruth Gipps encountered it on several occasions - we probably remember her today (if indeed we do at all) as a composer which seems to have been the area of her profession in which she invited the least number of such patronising brickbats, but as an oboist, pianist and (especially) conductor she had more than her fair share of these.

But let us finally and swiftly consign this nonsensical idea about "women musicians" to the garbage bin where it belongs, with the help of two fine composers - the late Elisabeth Maconchy, who once said that to her family and friends she is a woman but to her audience she is a composer and my compatriot Thea Musgrave who said that she is a woman and a composer but never both at the same time.
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 06:53:21 pm »

Thank you ahinton for very interesting post.

I agree with most (I think all) of your points.

This is exactly what distinguished panel discussed in previous International Piano  magazine. We are talking about comment page in International Piano magazine no 16, 2012.

I  just ask you to remember that  I come from an old country and only described my personal experience.

I also agree that women now have preferential treatment. I think people  know that I can say that being of  above mentioned gender.
It came to the point that it is difficult for another gender to make it in this world. I am aware of that.

As I said I agreed with most of what you said. I wanted to know honest opinion about what people think and  I am grateful that you posted yours.
I am very isolated here and need company of fellow musicians. I have to say that we here are less isolated now and have many interesting musicians now.

I hope I am on topic. I am just responding to some points in the previous post.

Some more examples. Schumann fantasia - khatia buniatishvili

Her dress here will not make people object I think (unless someone doesn't like her fashion), but it is definitely not  reviling.

It seems we are talking about people's preferences. This is emotional performance I think?

Dress code is ok here I think (unless someone doesn't like her fashion). I don't know this pianist.
Yulianna Avdeeva - Chopin Scherzo no.1 op.20
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 06:55:11 am »

This pianist has healthy numbers of viewers. This is really an excuse to post this clip.

Yundi Li - 14th International Chopin Competition (2000) 
He has 1,909,256 vewers on his clip.

We are blessed with good number of different pianists now.

Nikolai Lugansky is on the cover of International Piano magazine (no. 15 Nov/Dec.)

Geffrey Norris speaks to the Moscow -based pianist about concertising, reachign 40 and artistic growth.
Nikolai Lugansky is described as self-effacing on stage and as far removed from the showman pianist as could poassibly be imagined. He played Cesar Franck's Piano Quintet with Borodin Quartet in the Conservatoire's Great Hall. The applause was thunderous.

He had several teachers. Tatyana Nikolaeva helped with contacts.
Lugansky keeps between ten and fifteen concertos on the go in any given season and has two or three recital programmes as well as chamber music with the likes of violinsts Vadim Repin and Leonidas kavakos. He maintains his recording activities now with Naive.

He is Assistant to Sergei Dorensky in the Conservatoire.

Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 09:59:41 am »

This is from annual concert of Central Music School in Moscow (string department). Daniil Vladyko is playing  His teacher is Zhuravleva  (Maria Yurievna), Piano is performed by Elina Arzibasheva.

Attilio Ariosti, sonata mi minor. (mvmnt 1,2)

Armen Antonian cello SONATA DE ARIOSTI
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: