The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:30:29 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Holst the daughter

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holst the daughter  (Read 298 times)
guest54
« on: July 14, 2011, 02:17:01 pm »

This week I listened to the first string quartette of Imogen von Holst, which appeared in 1946. It seemed to be a set of not quite variations, if I may express the matter thus, and well worth further hearings.

What the eminent Mr. Lebrecht does not know about modern music is not worth knowing, so I looked her up in his Book, and found a significant psychological observation: "Her first string quartette," writes Mr. Lebrecht, "is serious and lyrical, though entirely unsentimental, suggesting a strength of purpose that she subjugated willingly to male masters."

In a nutshell what!

Several composer fathers have had composer sons; not so many composer fathers have had composer daughters. Bach the master had at least three composer sons, and a good many daughters, but I have never heard that any of the latter turned into composeresses. Does any one know?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 08:11:42 am »

What the eminent Mr. Lebrecht does not know about modern music is not worth knowing
Were that to be true (which fortunately it is anything but), a most appallingly enormous amount of information would be "not worth knowing"!

Several composer fathers have had composer sons; not so many composer fathers have had composer daughters. Bach the master had at least three composer sons, and a good many daughters, but I have never heard that any of the latter turned into composeresses. Does any one know?
Whilst I cannot immediately think of such cases, what of composer mothers having composer daughters, such as Maconchy and Lefanu, for example? I(ncidentally, the term "composeress" may once have possessed a passing whiff of aumsement to some (in the particular context to which http://www.webrarian.co.uk/reed/emily_butter.html refers), but it was surely never intended to be lifted from this very much of its time piece and employed elsewhere as you do now as though it had a legitimacy independent of that particular creation of long ago?
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: