The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:31:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dutch Music

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Music  (Read 2572 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 06:04:47 pm »

Listening to it as I type :)

Yes.....very impressive. Thanks :)
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »

If you click on Roukens ' name on the link kindly provided by Mr. Roelof, there are other downloads of his music possible !
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 04:01:46 am »

Well, I did it again.  I'll stop posting Dutch music from now and remove the ones mentioned.

Elroel

No, please don't stop! It's much appreciated, and luckily, if there are certain releases of CDs that prevent us from posting music, there are legal alternatives like Concert Zender. See here:

http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids.php?date=2008-02-05&month=-59&detail=27540
http://www.concertzender.nl/programmagids.php?date=2008-03-03&month=-58&detail=27918

Many other interesting pieces can be found in these same programs.

The earlier neglect of the Matthijs Vermeulen Cycle of symphonies on Donemus was almost criminal and probably would never have been redone by Chandos if Concertzender had not made them available for listening. Based on that, I got the original now defunct Donemus CDs which are priceless, but it took considerable effort and was an import. I have not compared them to the Chandos cycle because I have absolutely no need to do that.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 10:06:26 am »

I bought the symphonies of Matthijs Vermeulen when they came from Donemus as lp's. His chamber music  is also VERY >:( much in neglect!  I believe these are exact the same recordings they later used on there cd's. They came as double-lp album. Also his Chamber Music was available.
Eventually I digitised them and wrote them on cd. This way they now and then are played in my car stereo
The music of Vermeulen deserves a far better place in our concerts. Even in the Netherlands, his works are hardly ever heard in the music hall.

Nothing new of course, this neglect goes for many other composers. That's the reason we are on this forum, are we not?
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 11:52:01 pm »

Elroel :
Re  Vermeulen,
while we have the same mindset regarding the quality of his music, except for symphony 1, much of it is quite dour and
for that reason, may not be everyone's cup of tea. That's my guess as to why it does not often make the concert programs.
It is not an easy ride!!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 02:55:57 pm »

Marijn Simons - Symphony Nš 2 (2006-7)

I uploaded the Second Symphony of the Dutch composer Marijn Simons.

For the non-Dutch speakers amongst you I translated the intro:

Marijn Simons wrote his 2nd symphony commissioned by the Theater Heerlen (Heerlen is a city in thr south-east of the country), on the occasion of the re opening after the restyling of this theatres Large Concert Hall in 2008.

It is  co commissioned from this theatre and of the Limburgs Symfonie Orkest for their 125th Anniversary. The symphony is dedicated to the conductor (and his former teacher) Ed Spanjaard.

Although Simons revised the work later, you'll hear here a live performance from the original version. This performance was given on September 29, 2008 in the Music Hall of the Theatre 'De Vrijthof' in Maastricht.

It was later broadcast on Concertzender (from the same tape).

The  Limburgs Symfonie Orkest plays the symphony, under the baton of Ed Spanjaard.

The symphony is in 4 parts, written for a large orchestra, with an extended percussion section (8 players). Next to the standard percussion instruments, there was also a use of exotic instruments like a Thai Gong, Latin-American and African drums.

The duration of the work is over 50 minutes.

Simons is indebted to the great romantic symphonies, especially to Mahler.

More info on this composer: http://musicalworld.com/artists/marijn-simons/ and on his own website http://www.marijnsimons.com/
Report Spam   Logged
cjvinthechair
Level 6

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 06:43:01 pm »

Another new name to me, thank you, Mr. Roelof - he has his own YT Channel, too.
Report Spam   Logged

Clive
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2016, 03:49:37 pm »

Willem Jeths: Blokfluitconcerto.

The recorder ("blokfluit" in dutch) is the number one instrument for musical education in the Netherlands. There are not many modern dutch concertos for the instrument.
The difficulty seems to be: to keep the recorder in balance with an orchestra.
Willem Jeths created a beautiful concerto, by using as little orchestral power as possible.

The concerto had its world premiere on dec 12, 2014, and a recording of this has now been posted in the Dutch music area.

The concerto was written for the solosist who plays it here: Erik Bosgraaf

You hear the Radio Filharmonisch Orkest, conduced by their chief conductor Marcus Stenz.
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

Willem Jeths - Blokfluitconcerto (Recorder Cto)

I got a message that the Mediafire link didn't work.
I replaced the link and wonder if it's o.k. now

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2016, 12:32:04 am »

Hello all,

One of the members informed me that there was something wrong with my post of De Leeuw's 1st Violin Cto.

The file I posted was by far too large for the composition itself. The VC starts at around 14 min. The first part, befroe the talking is a work by Tristan Keuris, who was a pupil of de Leeuw, who himself had a.o. Olivier Messiaen as one of his teachers.

I've modified the link. Now it is the Violin Cto No.1 only.

For space reasons I've uploaded the file to Dropbox. To download click on the file and go to the upper right corner where you see three dots ... click on it  and click on download.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: