The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:59:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Elliott Carter (1908-2012)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elliott Carter (1908-2012)  (Read 1114 times)
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 05:46:36 pm »

Just downloaded and about to listen.....with some trepidation ;D
I hope very much that you managed to get something out of it; that trumpeting seagull coasting over Brooklyn Bridge has always struck me as being at least as naturalistically evocative as any passage in Delius.

The only "problem" insofar as it might be said to be one) with this work, its same composer's Double Concerto for Piano, Harpsichord and Two Chamber Orchestras and his Triple Duo and much more recent Double Trio - not to mention the "double duo" that is his impenetrable (to me!) Third String Quartet - is that most listeners, especially if listening to a recording or broadcast, will be no more aware of the specific subdivisions of forces (let alone their significance in the scheme of things) than would be the case with the peripatetic soloists in such very different works as Thea Musgrave's Clarinet Concerto and Colin Matthews's Horn Concerto; it's what I suppose I might call the "Gruppen / Carré factor", to the extent that these things can only really be fully appreciated in the context of live performances and, even then, are accordingly more visual than aural issues. That, however, in no wise undermines Carter's A Symphony of Three Orchestras as a work.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: