The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 19, 2024, 05:29:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Dutch Music killed by the Government

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dutch Music killed by the Government  (Read 18264 times)
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:33:06 pm »

Hello Everybody,

Though this is not exactly the place for it, I think, I like to inform you that the Dutch Government is still killing the classical/contemporary Dutch music scene.

The Donemus organisation changed some time ago to Muziek Centrum Nederland (label: NM). Now that they will not be subsidized from the coming year, MCN is closing down January 1st, 2013. The music collection goes to the University of Amsterdam and is not available for public! (At least not in the near future).
The only optimistic message is, that they trying to re-open some activities in october 2013. But nothing is sure.

I'm feeling sick!!!!

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

t-p
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:20:01 pm »

Thank you for this post , Elroel,

In the country i was born in musicians (and composers especially) could feel every little change in government attitude and policies right away.
Everyone here  know Shostakovich 's story as well as countless other victims.
In times like that it is important to stand together and try to help each other.

My commiseration and sympathies to people in your country. I am very moved by what people going through now.
I want to end my message with hope that musicians will find a way to go  forward and spirits will not be broken.
Report Spam   Logged
Neil McGowan
Level 7

Times thanked: 79

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 05:00:59 pm »

'People who know the price of everything, and the value of nothing'

Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:31:11 pm »

...and at the same time it looks as though De Toonzaal in 's Hertogenbosch may be forced to close...
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:02:54 pm »

Here is same:
http://www.opinione.it/cultura/2012/10/18/maestri_cultura-18-10.aspx
 :)
Report Spam   Logged
t-p
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:24:38 am »

We have situation here where symphony orchestra is playing in something called Leisure land. There is a swimming pool and a big  hall with no acoustic to speak of. Some people refuse to go to concerts there because it is not really a great Artistic experience to go there.

I heard rumours that they are going to built something like movie theatre and this will allow to change partitions to make big hall for appropriate concerts. I really don't know if it is true.

Otherwise we have one old piano that can be used for International artists. Often piano had to be brought almost from overseas if the old beaten up Steinway is not available  due to the room being used.
Sorry for telling my own horror stories. I just hope Dutch government has no plans to go this way. I was always looking at beautiful halls on the net to just remind myself.

It is very sad really.

Report Spam   Logged
Leea25
Level 2

Times thanked: 5

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 02:27:48 pm »

That is so dreadful! Really awful news. I shall have to scrape together some money and buy some of the scores I want from them before they go.
Report Spam   Logged
Jolly Roger
Level 8

Times thanked: 59

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 06:54:27 am »

...and at the same time it looks as though De Toonzaal in 's Hertogenbosch may be forced to close...
Thanks to the self-rightous lawyers!!
Report Spam   Logged
M. Yaskovsky
Level 3

Times thanked: 33

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:48:25 pm »

Probably I'm a bit late but De Toonzaal in the Dutch city of Den Bosch ('s Hertogenbosch) is alive and kicking. They offer mainly chamber music (because it's not a concert hall venue for large symphonic repertoire). https://www.willem-twee.nl/willem-twee-concertzaal/
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: