The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:44:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

New CPO Releases (nothing to get that excited about!)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New CPO Releases (nothing to get that excited about!)  (Read 1272 times)
kyjo
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:32:22 am »

CPO is starting to frustrate me ::)! While I greatly appreciate their standard-setting explorations into unsung repertoire, their extremely slow releasing schedule is really rather ridiculous. Perhaps the most exciting in the new batch of releases is Volume 1 of a series of Hendrik Andriessen's orchestral music (most of which has already been recorded, though). But still no signs of JN David, Kallstenius, or other composers whose music CPO has promised us CDs of quite a while ago :( :(...
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 01:28:56 am »

Rather than duplicating Hendrik Andriessen CPO should be recording more Henk Badings and starting on Willem Pijper ::)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 02:15:50 am »

I totally agree, Colin. Pijper and Badings are both very original and rewarding composers who need CPO's advocacy :)!
Report Spam   Logged
Elroel
Level 6

Times thanked: 76

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 12:03:02 pm »

From Willem Pijper exist already quite a few works on CD. (a.o. the Donemus and NM labels). It seems though that the first symphony is not available on cd. I have it on lp and will digitize and post this one.

Elroel
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 03:18:02 pm »

I have heard Pijper's Symphony no. 1 on YouTube and was quite impressed by it :)! It is a surprisingly late-romantic, Mahlerian piece that hardly foreshadows what was to come later from his pen.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:32:25 pm »

From Willem Pijper exist already quite a few works on CD. (a.o. the Donemus and NM labels). It seems though that the first symphony is not available on cd. I have it on lp and will digitize and post this one.

Elroel

I agree that most of Pijper's fairly small orchestral output can be obtained on disc (although I don't have a copy of the Cello Concerto......you don't happen to have an uploadable version do you ??? ;D) but it is scattered about on difficult to obtain labels. But I do think that he was a composer who definitely merits an integrated set....and his purely orchestral compositions are almost all quite short so they would fit onto a couple of discs :)
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:52:32 pm »

I completely agree with Colin :). Some of those Pijper CDs are OOP, as well. His brief and original Symphony no. 3 was, rather surprisingly, in the repertoire of Pierre Monteux, whose recording of it can be found on a BBC CD :).
Report Spam   Logged
mjkFendrich
Level 3

Times thanked: 17

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:02:36 pm »

I'll upload digital transfers of Pijper's cello concerto & 6 symphonic epigrams from the Donemus LPs within a few minutes,

mjkF
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:28:59 pm »

Many, many thanks, mjkFendrich-and what prompt service :) :)!
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 08:58:46 pm »

Superb :) :)

Many thanks :)
Report Spam   Logged
lescamil
Level 3

Times thanked: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 09:58:34 pm »

This isn't exactly the right place to request more Pijper, but I'll do it anyways, since others are. Does anyone have a recording of Pijper's Violin Concerto? I know there is an old one with Theo Olof playing the solo part, for I found it on a Dutch site years ago, but misplaced the link.
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:11:42 am »

Lescamil, mjkFendrich uploaded the Pijper VC along with the Cello Concerto and Six Symphonic Epigrams :). See the Dutch Music downloads board.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 02:18:31 am »

I don't think that anyone has commented on the existence at the end of their 2012 Catalogue of a section on Future Releases for 2012-13.

It contains four discs of interest to me:

the Braunfels Sinfonia Concertante(1947) and a string orchestra version of the String Quintet
the von Hausegger Barbarossa and Hyms to the Night
the first volume of a new Lars-Erik Larsson series
and-finally ??? ???-the Kallstenius Symphony No.1

No more Badings and, definitely, no Johann Nepomuk  David :( :(

The Larsson is interesting (although I would have preferred Rosenberg myself) ;D

I don't know how old Herr Schmilgun is but he needs to take pity on those of us of advancing years ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 02:36:39 am »

Thanks, Colin. I shall look forward to all of these releases :). But when are those recordings of David's symphonies, some made as far back as 2008, going to finally come out ????
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 03:45:18 am »

IIRC, isn't (wasn't?) CPO planning a Julius Weismann (1878-1950, German composer) orchestral series? I believe Alun Francis (of Frankel and Pettersson fame) will be the conductor in any further orchestral recordings of this composer made. CPO has already recorded string orchestra versions of two of Weismann's string quartets, but has not recorded anything of his since. I believe the first disc in the recording is supposed to contain his substantial Violin Concerto no. 1, and I seem to recall that his Symphonia Brevis and Sinfonietta Severa is in their recording plans as well. Does anyone have any information about CPO's plans regarding Weismann-e.g., have some of his pieces already been recorded but just not yet released on CD (as with JN David)? Or has CPO just put Weismann on the back burner? Sincere apologies for asking so many questions tonight :-[! I should really just stop being lazy and find the answers myself ::) ;D!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: