The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:14:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

Recognizing a Tune!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recognizing a Tune!  (Read 396 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:49:10 pm »

We are all, no doubt, familiar with the situation when we hear a piece of music or when a piece of music pops into our heads and we cannot for the life of us remember what it is ;D

I have had that all evening...in a slightly different form :)

I have been listening to that splendidly romantic British symphony-Richard Arnell's Second "Rufus" (Dutton). As I did so I was looking out for the influences-very much the contemporary Americans(Copland, Roy Harris). But in the slow movement there is a marvellous rocking theme which continually reminded me of......... ??? ??? ???

It has JUST come to me....OF COURSE ::) ::)  "Thor's Hammer" theme from the Sibelius Fifth ;D ;D

....and when it does come back to one it is a complete mystery as to why one didn't think of it at once ;D ;D
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kyjo
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 03:24:05 am »

Ha! Funny how things like that happen ;D! In fact, the "Thor's hammer" motif from the finale of Sibelius 5 (one of my favorite symphonic movements) is referenced in countless places-film scores (the theme from the movie "Elf" comes to mind), popular songs, and, of course, other classical compositions.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: