The Art-Music, Literature and Linguistics Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:49:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Here you may discover hundreds of little-known composers, hear thousands of long-forgotten compositions, contribute your own rare recordings, and discuss the Arts, Literature and Linguistics in an erudite and decorous atmosphere full of freedom and delight.

Home Help Search Gallery Staff List Login Register  

British Symphonists on CD: The Winners and the Losers

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: British Symphonists on CD: The Winners and the Losers  (Read 3696 times)
Dundonnell
Level 8

Times thanked: 137

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

BRITISH SYMPHONISTS ON CD: THE WINNERS AND THE LOSERS

THE WINNERS:

Sir Hubert Parry(1848-1918):        All 5 symphonies have been released by Chandos. There are also cd recordings of No.1(Nimbus), No.2(Naxos), No.3(Forlane)
                                                                          and No.5(EMI).

Sir Charles Villiers Stanford(1852-1924):   All 7 symphonies have been recorded by Chandos and by Naxos. No.3 has also been issued by EMI.

Sir Edward Elgar(1857-1934):         Both Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 have many recordings; No.3, as realised by Anthony Payne, has been released by NMC, Naxos, Chandos,
                                                                          LSO Live and Signum.

Sir Edward German(1862-1936):      Both of the symphonies have been recorded by Dutton. There is also a Marco Polo recording of No.2.

Sir Granville Bantock(1868-1946):    All 4 of Bantock’s symphonies have been recorded:“Hebridean Symphony” by Naxos and Hyperion;“Pagan Symphony” on
                                                                      Carlton BBC Radio Classics and Hyperion; Hyperion has also released “The Cyprian Goddess” and the “Celtic
                                                                      Symphony”.

Ralph Vaughan Williams(1872-1958): All 9 of the symphonies have been recorded many times.

Rutland Boughton(1878-1960): Of the 3 symphonies, No.1 is on a Dutton cd, Nos. 2 and 3 on Carlton BBC Radio Classics and  No. 3 also on a Hyperion cd.

Cyril Scott(1879-1971):           All 3 of the surviving symphonies(Nos. 1, 2, 4) have been  recorded by Chandos. (The original No.2 was lost and the material reused by Scott.)

Sir Arnold Bax(1883-1953):   All 7 symphonies have been released by Chandos-in two separate sets conducted by Bryden Thomson and by Vernon Handley- and by Naxos.
                                                           Lyrita have released Nos. 1, 2, 5, 6 and 7, Dutton No.2 and Classico No.6

York Bowen(1884-1961):   Of the 4 symphonies, Chandos have released Nos. 1 and 2. (No.3 is lost and No.4 was left incomplete.)

Cecil Armstrong Gibbs(1889-1960): Of the 3 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 3 have been released by Marco Polo and No.2 "Odysseus" by Dutton.

Sir Arthur Bliss(1891-1975):   “A Colour Symphony” has been released by Chandos (in versions conducted by Vernon Handley and Richard Hickox), by EMI, Nimbus,
                                                                  Naxos and Heritage.The Symphony “Morning Heroes” has been released by EMI and Cala.

Sir Eugene Goossens(1893-1962): Both of the symphonies have been released by ABC Classics and by Chandos.

Ernest J. Moeran(1894-1950): The Symphony in G has been released by Dutton, Lyrita, EMI, Chandos and Naxos and a realization of No.2 by Dutton.

Edmund Rubbra(1901-86):   All 11 symphonies have been recorded by Chandos conducted by Richard Hickox and also Nos. 5 and 10 by Hans-Hubert Schonzeler.  Lyrita
                                                               have released Nos. 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8, Carlton BBC Radio Classics No.4 and EMI No. 5.

Sir William Walton(1902-83): Both of the symphonies have been recorded many times.

Sir Lennox Berkeley(1903-89):All 4 symphonies have been released by Chandos. Lyrita have released Nos. 1, 2 and 3.

Sir Michael Tippett(1905-98): All 4 symphonies have been released by Decca and by Chandos. NMC have released Nos. 2 and 4, Carlton BBC Radio Classics No.3.

Alan Rawsthorne(1905-71):   All 3 symphonies have been released by both Lyrita and by Naxos.

William Alwyn(1905-85):   All 5 symphonies have been released by both Lyrita,Chandos and by Naxos. Dutton have released Nos. 1 and 2, Somm No.3.

Benjamin Frankel(1906-73):   All 7 symphonies have been released by CPO.

George Lloyd(1913-98):      All 12 symphonies have been released by Albany. Lyrita have released Nos. 4, 5 and 8.

Humphrey Searle(1915-82):   All 5 symphonies have been released by CPO.

Bernard Stevens(1916-83):   Both symphonies have been released by Meridian.

Richard Arnell(1917-2009):   All 7 symphonies have been released by Dutton(No.7 in a realization). Con Brio have released Nos. 4 and 5.

Geoffrey Bush(1920-98):        Both symphonies have been released by Lyrita.

Robert Simpson(1921-97):   All 11 symphonies have been released by Hyperion.EMI have released No.1 and NMC No.3

Sir Malcolm Arnold(1921-2006): All 9 symphonies have been released by Decca, Chandos and by Naxos. There are also cds of No. 1 (EMI), No.2 (EMI-Arnold and Sir Charles
                                                              Groves-and RLPO Live), No.3 (Everest), No.4 (Lyrita), No.5 (EMI and Classico) and No.6(LPO).

Kenneth Leighton(1929-88):   All 3 symphonies have been released by Chandos.

William Mathias(1934-92):   All 3 symphonies have been released by Nimbus. Lyrita have released No.1.

David Matthews(1943-):   All 7 symphonies have been recorded: Nos. 1-3 and 5-7 by Dutton(No.7 has still to be released). NMC have released No.4

James MacMillan(1959-):   All 3 symphonies have been recorded: Nos. 1 and 2 by Bis and No.3 by Chandos.

THE RUNNERS-UP:

Havergal Brian(1876-1972):   Of the 32 symphonies, Naxos have released Nos. 1, 2, 4, 11, 12, 15, 17, 18, 20, 25 and 32. (Naxos have recorded Nos. 22, 23 and 24 for future
                                                           release). Hyperion have released Nos. 1 and 3, Testament No.1, Lyrita Nos. 6 and 16, EMI Nos. 7, 8, 9 and 31, Dutton Nos. 9, 10,
                                                          11, 13 and 30 and Klassic Haus Nos. 8, 10, 14, 21, 22 and 28.  Nos. 5 “Wine of Summer”, 14, 19, 26, 27, 28 and 29 await
                                                          commercial recordings.

Edgar Bainton(1880-1956):   Of the 3 extant symphonies, No.2 has been released by Chandos and No.3 by Dutton. Only “Genesis” fromSymphony No.1 “Before Sunrise” has
                                                               been recorded (by Classico).

Gordon Jacob(1895-1974):   The 2 numbered symphonies have been released by Lyrita. Classico have released No.2 and the Little Symphony. (There is an unrecorded
                                                               Sinfonia Brevis, Symphony for Strings and two symphonies for brass band.)

Alan Bush(1900-95):           Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 2 have been released by Classico and No.4 by Dutton. No.3 “Byron Symphony” remains unrecorded.

John Gardner(1917-2011):   Of the 3 symphonies, No.1 has been released by Naxos and No.3 by ASV. No.2 remains unrecorded.

Alexander Goehr(1932-):   The Symphony in One Movement has been released by NMC and the Little Symphony by both Lyrita and NMC. (NMC have also released the
                                                             Sinfonia for Chamber Orchestra.) There is an unrecorded Symphony with Chaconne.

Sir Peter Maxwell Davies(1934-): Of the 9 symphonies, Naxos have re-released Nos. 1-6. Universal have released No.1. Nos. 7, 8 “Antarctic” and 9 await commercial
                                                               recordings.

MIDDLE OF THE PACK:

Sir Frederic H. Cowen(1852-1935):   Of the 4 extant symphonies, No.3 has been released by Marco Polo and No.6 by Classico. Nos. 4 “Welsh” and 5 remain unrecorded.
                                                                    (Nos. 1 and 2 are lost.)

Cyril Rootham(1875-1938):   Of the 2 symphonies, No.1 has been released by Lyrita. No.2 “Revelation” remains unrecorded.

Erik Chisholm(1904-65):     Of the 2 symphonies, No.2 has been released by Dutton.

Grace Williams(1907-77):       Of the 2 symphonies, No.2 has been released by Lyrita.

Robert Still(1910-71):           Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 3 and 4 have been released by Lyrita. Nos. 1 and 2 remain unrecorded.

Stanley Bate(1911-59):      Of the 4 symphonies, Nos. 3 and 4 have been released by Dutton. Nos. 1 and 2 remain unrecorded.

Patric Standford(1939-):   Of the 5 symphonies, No.1 has been recorded by the British Music Society and No. 2 by Naxos.

THE LOSERS:

Group 1-

Sir Henry Walford Davies(1859-1941):   The Symphony in D, the Symphony in G and the Children’s Symphony for small orchestra have not been recorded.   

Joseph Holbrooke(1878-1958): Only one of the 10 symphonies has been recorded-No.4 by Dutton.

Arnold Cooke(1906-2005):   Of the 6 symphonies, Nos. 1 and 3 have been released by Lyrita. Nos. 2, 4, 5 and 6 remain unrecorded.

Dame Elizabeth Maconchy(1907-94): Although the Symphony for Double String Orchestra has been released by Lyrita and by Lorelt, there are no recordings of the
                                                                          (withdrawn) Symphony or the Little Symphony.

William Wordsworth(1908-88): Of the 8 symphonies, only Nos. 3 and 4 have been released(Lyrita).

Robin Orr(1909-2006):      Of the 3 symphonies, only No.1  has been recorded(EMI).

Daniel Jones(1912-93):      Of the 13 symphonies, Nos. 4, 6, 7, 8 and 9 have been released by Lyrita.

Peter Racine Fricker(1920-90): Of the 6 symphonies, only No.2 has been recorded(EMI). (There is also an unrecorded Sinfonia in memoriam Benjamin Britten.)

Ruth Gipps(1921-99):      Of the 6 symphonies, only No. 2 has been recorded (Classico).

Iain Hamilton(1922-2000):   None of the 4 numbered symphonies have been issued on cd( nor the Sinfonia for Two Orchestras).

John Veale(1922-2006):        None of the 3 numbered symphonies have been commercially recorded.

Arthur Butterworth(1923-):   Of the 7 numbered symphonies, Nos. 1, 4 and 5 have been released by Dutton and No.1 by Classico. Nos. 2, 3, 6, 7 and the choral Moorland
                                                             Symphony await commercial recordings.

Anthony Milner(1925-2002):   Of the 3 numbered symphonies, only No.1 has been released(Claudio). (There are also an unrecorded Chamber Symphony and the Sinfonia
                                                             Pasquale.)

Wilfred Josephs(1927-97):   None of the 12 symphonies has been released on cd.

Graham Whettam(1927-2007): Of the 5 orchestral symphonies, the Sinfonia Contra Timore and the Sinfonia Intrepida have been released by Redcliffe. The Sinfonia
                                                            Drammatica, the Sinfonia Prometeica and the Symphony No.5 are unrecorded.

Thomas Wilson(1927-2001):   None of the 5 numbered symphonies has been commercially recorded.

Alun Hoddinott(1929-2008):   Of the 10 numbered symphonies, Nos. 2, 3 and 5 have been released by Lyrita and No.6 by Chandos.   

Malcolm Lipkin(1932-):      None of the 3 symphonies has been commercially recorded.

Sir Richard Rodney Bennett(1936-):    Of the 3 numbered symphonies, only No.3 has been released on cd(Koch)

Gordon Crosse(1937-):      Neither of the 2 numbered symphonies has been commercially recorded.

John McCabe(1939-):      Of the 7 numbered symphonies, No. 2 has been released by EMI and No. 4 by Hyperion. (Dutton have released a Six-Minute Symphony.)

John Pickard(1963-):            None of the 3 numbered symphonies has been commercially recorded.

Group 2-

David Wynne(1900-83):      3 numbered completed symphonies.

Richard Hall(1903-82):      4 numbered symphonies (may only be 3 extant).

Christian Darnton(1905-81):   3 extant numbered symphonies (and a fourth-No.2-lost)

Ian Parrott(1916-2012):   5 numbered symphonies.

Denis ApIvor(1916-2004):   5 numbered symphonies.

Anthony Hedges(1931-):   2 numbered symphonies

David Ellis(1933-):      3 numbered symphonies

Christopher Steel(1938-91):   6 numbered symphonies and No.7 unfinished.

Derek Bourgeois(1941-):   76 numbered symphonies, of which Nos. 4, 6 and 8 have been released in arrangements for wind band by Hafabra Music.

THE OTHERS:

Benjamin Britten wrote a Simple Symphony, the choral Spring Symphony, the Symphony for Cello and Orchestra and the Sinfonia da Requiem. All have multiple recordings.

Composers of only one symphony(whether for full orchestra or a choral symphony) would include Sir Arthur Sullivan, William Wallace, Sir Arthur Somervell, Sir John B. McEwen, Gustav Holst, Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, Sir Donald Tovey, Thomas Dunhill, John Foulds (lost), Sir George Dyson, Arwel Hughes, Ronald Stevenson and Hugh Wood.

Composers who did not write any symphonies include Sir Alexander Mackenzie, Dame Ethel Smyth, Frederick Delius, Hamish MacCunn, Frank Bridge, John Ireland, Julius Harrison, Herbert Howells, Maurice Jacobson, Patrick Hadley, Gerald Finzi, Thomas B. Pitfield, Constant Lambert, Matyas Seiber, Franz Reizenstein and Nicholas Maw(there is Sinfonia for Small Orchestra). Gerard Schurmann and Sir John Tavener have not, to date, written a symphony.

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 08:57:20 pm »

I did this for a bit of fun :) since, as may be obvious, I have an interest in British Symphonies ;D

I should explain that, regarding "The Losers", Group 1 are those composers who-I believe-have first claim on being resucitated :)

Looking at the material..........can we please stop regarding Havergal Brian as a neglected composer ::) ;D
Report Spam   Logged
kyjo
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 09:00:37 pm »

Thanks for this, Colin! A few corrections: you list Grace Williams and Cecil Armstrong Gibbs as having composed only one symphony-Williams composed two and Gibbs composed three :). Also, you list Foulds as having composed no symphonies-according to Wikipedia, he composed a Symphony of East and West, op. 100, which is lost, sadly :(.
Report Spam   Logged
ahinton
Level 6

Times thanked: 30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

I did this for a bit of fun :) since, as may be obvious, I have an interest in British Symphonies ;D

I should explain that, regarding "The Losers", Group 1 are those composers who-I believe-have first claim on being resucitated :)

Looking at the material..........can we please stop regarding Havergal Brian as a neglected composer ::) ;D
A bit, perhaps - but his music is still rarely performed live.

David Wynne died in 1983. Also, may I 'umbly suggest that your statement
Sir Edward Elgar(1857-1934):         Both of the symphonies have many recordings
should be amended with the word "All" substituting for "Both"?...
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:30:32 pm »

Thank you both very much for the corrections :)

The Wynne was a typo. The others were the result of assuming that my memory alone was sufficient without taking the trouble to check my own catalogues ::) ::) My apologies to Elgar, Gibbs, Williams and Foulds :-[ :-[

My comment on Havergal Brian was, of course, very much tongue in cheek ;D
Report Spam   Logged
dafrieze
Level 1

Times thanked: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:36:11 pm »

When I joined the British Music Society in 1988, the idea that one day there would be multiple recordings of the complete symphonies of Bax and Stanford was little more than a dubious hope.  The progress that has been made in less than 25 years, as witnessed by your list of winners and runners-up, is incredible.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

Times thanked: 49

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:44:33 pm »

A fascinating & fun list. I agree with most of the 'ranking'. While Daniel Jones definately belongs in Group 1 of the 'Losers',it's also nice to see Holbrooke. The Fourth Symphony may be more of a suite,but it's a fascinating oddity, with a gorgeously orchestrated slow movement,if I remember correctly.I can't wait to hear more!
  I am a little displeased to see David Wynne in Group 2,however. I'm not quite convinced by the Symphony I've heard here & judging by the other compositions available here,he's not in the Daniel Jones league......but,he IS Welsh,after all!!! ;D
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:54:37 pm »

When I joined the British Music Society in 1988, the idea that one day there would be multiple recordings of the complete symphonies of Bax and Stanford was little more than a dubious hope.  The progress that has been made in less than 25 years, as witnessed by your list of winners and runners-up, is incredible.

We really are a GREEDY lot aren't we ;D ;D

We moan about the neglect of certain composers....and I moan more than most ;D but, as you perfectly correctly point out, it is absolutely incredible to think that we are where we now are :)

You highlight Stanford and Bax. If someone had said to me ten years ago that we would have all the Richard Arnell symphonies on disc or all but a handful of the Havergal Brian symphonies I would have snorted in disbelief.

The debt we owe to companies like Lyrita, Chandos, Hyperion, Naxos and Dutton is absolutely immense.
Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 12:00:42 am »

A fascinating & fun list. I agree with most of the 'ranking'. While Daniel Jones definately belongs in Group 1 of the 'Losers',it's also nice to see Holbrooke. The Fourth Symphony may be more of a suite,but it's a fascinating oddity, with a gorgeously orchestrated slow movement,if I remember correctly.I can't wait to hear more!
  I am a little displeased to see David Wynne in Group 2,however. I'm not quite convinced by the Symphony I've heard here & judging by the other compositions available here,he's not in the Daniel Jones league......but,he IS Welsh,after all!!! ;D

That's why Wynne is in the Second Division and Daniel Jones very much in the first :)

The composers in Group One are the composers I personally feel are most in need of promotion now. My personal trio would be Cooke, Wordsworth and Jones. Their music is "accessible" enough for a company like Dutton to go for (in a way that, say, Fricker or Hamilton or Hoddinott might be deemed too "thorny"). Holbrooke ??? ??? I just don't know; I remain to be convinced that his music is really of high quality but I think that he does stand a better chance if cpo and Howard Griffiths have anything to do with it :)

The problem, I suspect, is raising the cash for recording such unfamiliar music :(
Report Spam   Logged
Grandenorm
Level 4

Times thanked: 24

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 12:49:42 am »

I think I would like to add Walter Gaze Cooper to your list of symphonists: Wrote 9, 8 extant, none recorded (only No. 9 lost). And perhaps a word for Roger Sacheverell Coke: wrote 3, 2 lost (only No. 2 extant - but with all the orchestral material), none recorded.
Report Spam   Logged
Toby Esterhase
Level 7

Times thanked: 117

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 12:56:03 am »

I've to make two notes:
P.Stanford has also this recording:
http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2000/july00/Standford.htm
On Holbrooke we have only his early works IMHO it should be concerning listen the late.Maybe like H.Brian he develops style.
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 01:10:48 am »

I tend to agree with everything you're saying here,Dundonnell. In their own way they are all pretty approachable composers. Daniel Jones,in particular (who happens to be the one I have listened to the most ;D) is actually a very lyrical composer,even richly romantic at times,in his own way.Close your eyes & there are some lovely of Welsh seascapes to enjoy! In fact,underneath that deceptively craggy exterior,the Second Symphony has some of the most colourful orchestration I have ever heard.

Fricker is in a different league! Although,I find his third symphony surprisingly approachable. This is music that requires allot of close listening & for small record labels,therein lies the problem. A pity!

Holbrooke I quite like. I don't know quite why.He's got 'something',which keeps me sufficiently intrigued to go on buying every Holbrooke cd,of significance,that comes out. Incidentally,I tend to agree with Calum MacDonalds asessment in IRR Magazine (Dec 2010) "It's not that his ideas lack character..." " but that their effect is somehow inconsequential" " Theme follows theme,follows episode,follows gesture..." He goes on to say that the music is at times impressive,but there is no "strong sense of where it is going" or whether any one part is of more value than another!
I expect you have seen this review,but I am just reminding you & trying not to breach copyright by quoting short extracts & replacing some of his eloquent wording with my own! ;D
Yet,having said that his sheer eccentricity,undoubtable gift for colorful orchestration & a spooky,at times rather lurid,gothic atmosphere somehow manages to keep me listening,even at his most uneven!
As to recordings. His obsession with Edgar Allan Poe,the inspiration for so many horror movies & authors,not to mention the fact that he composed a colossal operatic cycle inspired by the 'Mabinogion' has to be a plus point for any small,adventurous record label. I've already seen his name mentioned (somewhat enthusiastically) on several sites dealing with macabre literature. Whatever you think of his music,like Cyril Scott,he's a wacky,colourful figure & in this day &  while it's never going to turn him into a million seller,it might actually help his cause! ;D

One final point regarding David Wynne. I've been curious to hear his music for years. Unfortunately,some of what I have heard here sounds a little too much like allot of that empty,fashionable sort of music that was being written a couple of decades ago. Of course,he was very prolific & the recording quality of the symphony is a bit rough (although,thank you to whoever provided it) so I suppose I should give him the benefit of the doubt for now. Having said that,it's sufficiently intriguing in places for me to want to try more & if a cd of his orchestral music ever comes out,I will probably buy it!

Report Spam   Logged
Dundonnell
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 01:25:47 am »

I've to make two notes:
On Holbrooke we have only his early works IMHO it should be concerning listen the late.Maybe like H.Brian he develops style.

That would be an intruguing and valuable cd of music by Standford IF it was still available.......but after 12 years since the review I doubt it :(
Report Spam   Logged
jimfin
Level 4

Times thanked: 21

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 01:39:08 am »

I don't think anyone's pointed out that the Grace Williams symphony on Lyrita is no. 2, not 1. But what a wonderful list, and it mostly makes me very happy to see what has been achieved (and makes me realise how much music I have, since I have virtually every recording mentioned!)
Report Spam   Logged
cilgwyn
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 01:48:40 am »

I've to make two notes:

That would be an intruiguing and valuable cd of music by Standford IF it was still available.......but after 12 years since the review I doubt it :(
Standfords Fifth!! I remember hearing that,when it was broadcast,back in 1985,I think! I made a tape of it at the time. I loved it! I thought it was marvellous! A wild & wacky work if ever there was,with quotes from Mozart & Pomp & Circumstance No 1,woven in. It had a surrealistic,almost hallucinatory 'Alice in Wonderland' quality about it? (aka Tredici! :)) The singing by Joan Rodgers was stunningly beautiful.It got slammed by the critics apparently.....the miseries!!! The cassette got chewed up after a while by one of my dodgy (at the time) tape recorders! :) It really DID make a BIG impression on me at the time!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: